Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Reconfigured Cold Air Intake

And with it, the transformation under the hood is nearly complete--the fuel injector cover piece is being worked on currently, as is the radiator cap.

The CAI consists of two 3" 6061-T6 light weight aluminum pipes painted with VHT Engine Metallic paint, an AEM Dryflow air filter, two rubber couplers along with their requisite clamps, and two metal support brackets (the upper one was purchased from Home Depot and fabricated by a friend a few years ago when we put together my initial CAI).

If you're curious as to where the air filter is situated with this configuration...

Also, pictured above is the following fog light cover:

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 02-10-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to King 5
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Pretty neat! Very nice work

1997 BMW 528ia 2/97

2004 BMW 330ci 4/03

2008 BMW 335i 3/08
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Banned

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to King 5
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Where did you get the foglight cover or is it custom?

1997 BMW 528ia 2/97

2004 BMW 330ci 4/03

2008 BMW 335i 3/08
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King 5 View Post
Where did you get the foglight cover or is it custom?
97-03 BMW E39 5-SERIES M5 M-TECH FRONT BUMPER OPEN MESH FOG LIGHT COVERS
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd
Wouldn't that scoop water right in the filter and to the engine?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
Wouldn't that scoop water right in the filter and to the engine?
Yes, if the car were driven right through a foot or so of water. Anyone with a set-up like this knows to exercise at least a modicum of caution when it's raining. Most with configurations like this won't drive the car at all even at the slightest chance of precipitation. It seldom "rains" here in Southern CA, and when it does, I'm one of those people.

Edit: Just saw your location lol. You know what I'm talking about regarding the rain bit.

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 02-11-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Crosslinking with:
- CAI 101 should I do it or not (1) and which is better, stock or aftermarket cold air intake (1) (2) & a home-made CAI (1) & the general consensus on the effectiveness of an aftermarket CAI versus the stock BMW CAI (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to reduce the risk of hydro lock (1) (2) & what about a K&N oiled air filter over the stock air filter (1) & a forced induction group buy (1) and adding nitrous oxide to your E39 (1) & links to suppliers to improve performance of your E39 (1)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Looks nice.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD), 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)
Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
I like it and run a similar setup with my Dinan CAI. I too, live in socal, but never gave a second thought to precipitation and have driven through some pretty nasty weather. My car is also lowered on coilovers but does not have that custom foglight grill cover.

My first instinct was to jump all over that ebay listing since this is the first time I've even heard of anyone making after aftermarket grill covers for the foglights on an m5 bumper cover.

But as teklord69 and freethrowdunk have pointed out earlier, I think I would be tempting the fates by putting a screen in an area so obviously prone to water. Looks great, but probably not for everyone.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa240sx View Post
I like it and run a similar setup with my Dinan CAI. I too, live in socal, but never gave a second thought to precipitation and have driven through some pretty nasty weather. My car is also lowered on coilovers but does not have that custom foglight grill cover.

My first instinct was to jump all over that ebay listing since this is the first time I've even heard of anyone making after aftermarket grill covers for the foglights on an m5 bumper cover.

But as teklord69 and freethrowdunk have pointed out earlier, I think I would be tempting the fates by putting a screen in an area so obviously prone to water. Looks great, but probably not for everyone.
That's all well and good, but I hope you realize that the lack of a screen mesh fog light cover does not preclude water from reaching your air filter if it sits as low as you say it does. The area where it rests (right behind the fog light more or less and within the fender) is not airtight. Heck, water can seep right through the cracks of the traditional M fog light cover without much if any resistance. The point being, driving through a makeshift pond with or without the mesh fog light cover is never a prudent thing to do if hydro-locking your engine is of concern.

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 02-11-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 528i e39
Got a very similar set up on my 528 it rains here frequently and I have no choice but tomdrive the car as I need to get to work and my Gf has the hemi I have never experianced any problems with water but I also have two filters.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsimon View Post
Got a very similar set up on my 528 it rains here frequently and I have no choice but tomdrive the car as I need to get to work and my Gf has the hemi I have never experianced any problems with water but I also have two filters.
I've driven a few times with my old set-up which had the filter sitting a bit higher in the fender area while it was raining out (albeit not during anything remotely resembling a downpour). I may or may not do so with this configuration.

But, it's important to note that the mere presence of water even on the air filter itself will more than likely not lead to a hydro-locked engine. It is when the filter is completely or mostly submerged in water while the car is being driven that this occurs.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
I like the idea...
However, I think I would re-engineer it my own way though...

Any difference in feel from the OEM setup...?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Does your modified intake sound any different from stock? Better? Louder? Worse? Be specific please!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
I like the idea...
However, I think I would re-engineer it my own way though...

Any difference in feel from the OEM setup...?

Thanks!
Jason
There is very little room to work with even after having removed the black triangular-looking plastic piece that sits behind and under the headlight. It would be very difficult to fabricate anything else given this.

I haven't driven the car extensively yet. Though any "tangible" results professed are almost always a placebo effect (i.e., engine breathes better (whatever that means), better throttle response) felt by those who wish to justify spending > $300 on an intake for these cars lol.

I'm well aware that these intakes are merely aesthetic gains under the hood and shouldn't be taken for anything more for these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandem View Post
Does your modified intake sound any different from stock? Better? Louder? Worse? Be specific please!
The filter makes a hissing sound as it sucks in air when the throttle is depressed at a steady manner. Otherwise, my exhaust's noise completely drowns out any other sound intakes like these might make at wide open throttle.

Last edited by freethrowdunk; 02-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
There is very little room to work with even after having removed the black triangular-looking plastic piece that sits behind and under the headlight. It would be very difficult to fabricate anything else given this.

I haven't driven the car extensively yet. Though any "tangible" results professed are almost always a placebo effect (i.e., engine breathes better (whatever that means), better throttle response) felt by those who wish to justify spending > $300 on an intake for these cars lol.

I'm well aware that these intakes are merely aesthetic gains under the hood and shouldn't be taken for anything more for these cars.

The filter makes a hissing sound as it sucks in air when the throttle is depressed at a steady manner. Otherwise, my exhaust's noise completely drowns out any other sound intakes like these might make at wide open throttle.

There is no way I would set the filter so close to the exterior of the car like you have shown.
I would also probably look into curving the 3" intake piping up, into a curve, then down, then back up towards the MAF as well...
Basically, a p-trap.
Then, I would install the filter behind the curve elbow.

And, if your car can get cooler air, then that is a big win IMO...
I can definitely feel a difference when the air is cooler, and has less humidity, when I drive my car.

Where did you get the 3" piping...?
The engine bay looks incredibly clean...!
Love it...!
Although, I prefer the OEM look, and no painted stuff...

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited by Jason5driver; 02-12-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd

Just get a bypass valve:
Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes
AEM's patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in. Check with your dealer or call AEM for more information on air bypass valve installation locations.

The AEM Air Bypass valve can only be used with CARB (California Air Resources Board) -Exempted Advanced Engine Management, Inc Cold Air Systems. Only applications listed under CARB E.O. # D-392-22 have exemption. The AEM Air Bypass Valve is NOT for use on forced induction vehicles.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned

Yep, good post. Was going to mention that. I may purchase it.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
There is no way I would set the filter so close to the exterior of the car like you have shown.
I would also probably look into curving the 3" intake piping up, into a curve, then down, then back up towards the MAF as well...
Basically, a p-trap.
Then, I would install the filter behind the curve elbow.
It is fairly well shielded/securely fastened behind the fog light. The M5 guys with CAIs have their filters sitting at or near the same area on both sides. Your plan sounds nice and I would certainly seek a similar route if I had the pipes custom-made with specific bends and all.
Quote:
And, if your car can get cooler air, then that is a big win IMO...
I can definitely feel a difference when the air is cooler, and has less humidity, when I drive my car.
Very well then. This may become evident when I start driving the car again.

Quote:
Where did you get the 3" piping...?
The engine bay looks incredibly clean...!
Love it...!
Although, I prefer the OEM look, and no painted stuff...

Thanks!
Jason
Thanks. I bought the intake kit on E-Bay. Since I already had an air filter (a significantly better one than the generic ones that are supplied by these sellers), all I needed were the pipes.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Just wondering, but below the MAF sensor is a little box that people apparently call the "intake silencer" or "intake resonator". Is that still in-place or did you remove it and plug it?