Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM
mybmwbdoin180

Mein Auto: E39 1998 528i
Factory e39 stereo has no amp,Best upgrade options??

Hey Everyone!!Sorry about the reposting should of been here in the first place.

Thanks for any help in advance!!! I,d be broke and extremely unhappy without this site and all your input.

My issue is i have a e39 98 528i with a non dsp head unit with cd stacker in the boot but i do not have a factory amp connected.There are a lot of options if you have the factory amp installed but nothing for this setup.From what i can gather by trawling posts the amp is intergrated into the head unit.If i want to keep the factory setup what is the best way to add a sub and an amp to the system.I've heard the in built crossovers cause some problems when installing aftermarket amps.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks Again.

my new obsession!!!!!good car-bad photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	174444  
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW M3
An aftermarket amp is a great supplement, but a lousy replacement. You'd need to find a crazy 10 channel amp with built in crossovers to replace the functionality of the factory one. Just buy an OEM amp and run bypasses if you want to put an aftermarket one onto the main speakers.
JL 12W6 subs - Pioneer D Series Components - Pioneer & Blaupunkt amps
Pioneer Avic-D3 Navigation - Silver Carbon Fiber interior trim
Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
mybmwbdoin180

Alright,
So does this mean that i dont have crossovers because there's no amp in my system and if it does have them in built will that be a problem when hooking up the factory amp to it or do i have to spring for a new hu as well?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 PM
mybmwbdoin180

Hooray,Seek and you shall find!!!!

For anyone with the problem of upgrading their stock sound system when you do not have a factory amp installed Read This http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/audio/head_units.htm

After uncovering the answer about the setup of my stock system I had to change the way i chose to do things so instead of installing an oem factory setup of which all i thought i would of needed was the amp part which i was going to pickup 2nd hand somewhere.I have chosen to go with an aftermarket amp sub and head unit with in dash motorized screen.Sure it'll be more$$$ but when it's all over i unscrew it all reconnect the stock system and i'm on my way.

So the option i was left with thanks to the ampless head unit was spend the money on a used factory system including another factory hu of which would then have to be modified for a sub and an extra amp and then be stuck with a factory system when i sell the car or end up just passing it on with the car and basically lose what i've invested,or go completely aftermarket.

Also,if the reason you wanted to go with the factory setup is because of the steering wheel connectivity,alpine definitely make a connector that will intergrate it into their head units.(Dont know about other brands.)Also the hu has a full speed audio/video ipod interface so no need for a dice system+$$$$$$.

It may turn out to be a little more costly but the benefits are premium audio and if you use the factory wiring
you just unplug all the aftermarket stuff and reconnect the stock system and you get to walk away with your fistful of dollars.

My decision boiled down to 500 for factory parts that i cant keep or 1000+ for something that i can use and walk away with.

Hope this has helped anyone who has opened the trunk and said "where the *%&@# is my amp"

Last edited by mybmwbdoin180; 02-10-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add extra
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: '97 528i
Dsp setup

hey, i DO have DSP lol apparently for my 97 528i ...and I wanna get 2 mtx t5500 subs hooked in wit a mrp-m1000 mono amp...which i guess comes with speaker level inputs. SO...i saw that kick @$$ vid of bav. sounndwerks but that was for a non dsp car...so im wondering the differences with regards to settin up 2 badass subs in a pimpin car for a bass musician that neeeeeeds to feel the beat lol....layman terms are best lol. if i dont have to touch any of the other speakers in the car i wont.. thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
mybmwbdoin180

If anyone has some good suggestions for what aftermarket amp and/or setup would be best to run all ten speakers and 1 sub on please let me know.I have gone with an alpine IVA-D106E hu and i am also going to keep factory speakers running so the output doesn't have to be massive,just clear.Something with some major crossover potential i presume!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540iA, 2000, Sport
I did upgraded audio in my two e39s non DSP (I sold first and bought another later).
The head unit does not have an amplifier it makes just regular line out, the amp itself in the trunk and it has built in crossovers for all speakers in the car. If you going to install aftermarket amp you will need crossovers for them. I upgraded amp and all speakers.
IF you want to keep factory speakers, you do not need a lot of power, I would go with something like Alpine f300 4 channel, and dedicated sub amp. I do not know what kind and level of base you want to get.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
mybmwbdoin180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennema View Post
hey, i DO have DSP lol apparently for my 97 528i ...and I wanna get 2 mtx t5500 subs hooked in wit a mrp-m1000 mono amp...which i guess comes with speaker level inputs. SO...i saw that kick @$$ vid of bav. sounndwerks but that was for a non dsp car...so im wondering the differences with regards to settin up 2 badass subs in a pimpin car for a bass musician that neeeeeeds to feel the beat lol....layman terms are best lol. if i dont have to touch any of the other speakers in the car i wont.. thanks in advance!
Yeh,you'll be fine.Unfortunately not as easy to do as non dsp but do-able either way.I am lost when it comes to dsp as all my efforts have been with non dsp.

This is for you my son;http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e39/ste...reo_posts.html
this should explain everything you need to know about upgrade and dsp system,this dude Bob is a bit of a guru when it comes to this sorta stuff.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mybmwbdoin180; 02-10-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: missed info
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM
mybmwbdoin180

Quote:
Originally Posted by syuri View Post
I did upgraded audio in my two e39s non DSP (I sold first and bought another later).
The head unit does not have an amplifier it makes just regular line out, the amp itself in the trunk and it has built in crossovers for all speakers in the car. If you going to install aftermarket amp you will need crossovers for them. I upgraded amp and all speakers.
IF you want to keep factory speakers, you do not need a lot of power, I would go with something like Alpine f300 4 channel, and dedicated sub amp. I do not know what kind and level of base you want to get.
Shouldn't i go with a 5 or 6 channel?

Not much bass either 1x10inch through the ski bag pass!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540iA, 2000, Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybmwbdoin180 View Post

I would get separate sub amp, usually they are class D and more efficient, do not put that big load on electric system and less heat dissipation. Probably Alpine M500 would be a good fit. Sure there are better amps but these two I would say safe bet for the money. Besides they are not big, hence more space in the trunk for other goodies ;-)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
mybmwbdoin180

Thanks,sound advice..
Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Hi Syuri,

Can you pm me some photo of adding the amp from the head unit at selfmech@yahoo.com.
When you tap from the head unit, how about other source such as tv and cd changer.

Rgds.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
You guys are all very informative. I have questions and answers. For my sub I found a line audio source on the plug that is on the right side of the OEM amp. Purchased a MTX Re-Q sound processor and ran that to a Sony D-class Mono amp for the 2 12" Memphis MR-class subs. I should have stopped there! I tried to install a 4-channel in place of the Sony and as soon as I connected the amp to the wires for the door speakers something blew and my system was down. I narrowed the problem to the tape/HU and have ordered another one. My question is why do the OEM speaker connections coming from the OEM amp appear to go back to the tape/HU? If this is true! Is the only way to repower the door speakers is by new wiring? I am going back all original if I have to! I do not want to change anything in the dash.

Thanks,

Tonyjr
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
If anyone has some good suggestions for what aftermarket amp and/or setup would be best to run all ten speakers and 1 sub on please let me know.I have gone with an alpine IVA-D106E hu and i am also going to keep factory speakers running so the output doesn't have to be massive,just clear.Something with some major crossover potential i presume!!!
The stock speakers are the weakest point in the system, if I remember the previous posts I've read.

DSP has interesting output that probably doesn't amplify that well.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:

You have 10 speakers in your Aussie market E39 and no amp in the trunk?

Have you looked behind the head unit to see what the connections are yet? If you do have 10 separate speakers and a built-in amp, you must have 10 speaker connections or 4 on the back of your head unit. I'm not sure if it's a 4 channel or 10 channel powered amp you have there, but it should be pretty obvious by looking at the connections.

I've done two E39's and have a website about it, but have never seen the back of a non-US spec system.

I'd recommend against firing the sub thru the ski pass. Instead, fire it towards the trunk opening. I went down the ski pass route with my systems too and in both I redid them this way to get better bass response.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330ci /'91 318is
[QUOTE=mybmwbdoin180;3909660]Hey Everyone!!Sorry about the reposting should of been here in the first place.

Thanks for any help in advance!!! I,d be broke and extremely unhappy without this site and all your input.

My issue is i have a e39 98 528i with a non dsp head unit with cd stacker in the boot but i do not have a factory amp connected.There are a lot of options if you have the factory amp installed but nothing for this setup.From what i can gather by trawling posts the amp is intergrated into the head unit.If i want to keep the factory setup what is the best way to add a sub and an amp to the system.I've heard the in built crossovers cause some problems when installing aftermarket amps.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks Again.

Excuse my ignorance here, but sometihng is missing here; So right now you have no sound coming thru your speakers right? Because you have no amp; right? If you have 10 speakers, and you have sound right now, and all of it is factory, then you should have an amp, I've heard of an euro model that (maybe basic stereo?) that came with 6 speakers, that one might have a different radio, but as far as I know, the radio in our cars doesn't have an integrated amp, just sends a pre-amp signal. The amp in the back would then do the rest.

I am probably not reading your post right and I apologize if that's the case. If you have an aftermarket head unit, that's a different story....
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 4Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by syuri View Post
I would get separate sub amp, usually they are class D and more efficient, do not put that big load on electric system and less heat dissipation. Probably Alpine M500 would be a good fit. Sure there are better amps but these two I would say safe bet for the money. Besides they are not big, hence more space in the trunk for other goodies ;-)
I am an old school car amplifier guy. Class D amplifiers may be more efficient, but have a much higher distortion level, then a Class A/B at the same power level, that's why Class A/B amplifiers are preferred for Highs and Mids. Most modern Subs have huge magnets, and larger voice coils, and usually are less efficient then the Sub's I used in the 1980's, but they can handle the dirtier power of a Class D due to the heat dissipation of the larger voice coil, and magnet structure.

Class T amplifiers offer promise, but currently are only offered as low power amplifiers 30 watts and under. If a speaker is rated at 94db at 1 watt at one meter, then it takes 10 times more power for every additional 3db of sound output, at least that's what I was taught.

ADS BMW E39 Wiring Guide:
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...ereowiring.pdf

Would any one know the power out put and crossover frequencies used in the factory BMW E39 10 channel amplifier. Did the 1998 E39 528 also come with a 10 channel amplifier?

Last edited by josemedeiros007; 12-15-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered Lunatic

Mein Auto: E39 535i
FWIW if you have a non DSP basic BMW MID unit with no amp you only have 6 speakers and 4 channels.
I have a 4x100 amp with a high level input I can take straight from the standard output channels which I will utilise to effect an upgrade in my car.
You can use a line converter to change the (low but still higher than recommended signal output) to a low level RCA output. Either way you're still only going to have 4 channels.
My plan is to replace the speakers I have with quality 4ohm; 100W units. I'm not after audiophile quality sound but I want something better than what I have in there at the moment

Last edited by StRaNgEdAyS; 12-15-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: doesn't like ASCII
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 AM
e39F2001

Mein Auto: 525d 2001
I have non DSP system with 10 speakers and no amp in the back.

10 speakers installed but from behind the head unit I see only 4 channel coming out, that means that BMW is dividing 1 channel into 3 for the front door and 1 channel into 2 for the rear.
So where is the dividing filter installed?