Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 3.0
New to the Z3 & BMW - have some issues

Hello! I've been googling my problems and i must say find myself here a lot. You guys seem knowledgeable and as friendly as Pennock Fieros forum members (and they really are a great bunch as well).

Fun story, though (problems down bottom if anyone doesnt feel like a badly typed story). I was looking to buy my first imported car... My other car sucks up gas and I wanted something small and sporty that was still good on fuel. So I went in search of a Miata. I came to a quick realization that I see them everywhere now that I was looking and having gotten used to the exclusivity of my other cars (which aren't fantastic, but not seen often) I was doubting my want for it. I came across a dealer that had a 01 Z3 3.0i next to a 01 Miata/MX-5. Both automatic unfortunately, but at least the Z3 had the option to pull it to manual. The prices were largely diff of course, but I talked it down even with the MX-5. Of course there was a good reason for the price drop.

The top is electric, goes down, but doesn't fold as flat as possible. I dunno how low it's supposed to go, but it goes just below or level with the seat roll bar things. The motor doesn't cut off while pushing the down button which makes me believe it's not going flat enough.

Second issue I have is a central locking/keyless entry issue. I've been reading around, my issues may be to the fuel door lock actuator not working properly. Doors and trunk locks with key in the door, everything except the fuel door basically. That being said I've checked all the fuses and they're all good. Would the fuel door actuator stop the car from syncing with the key and make the keyless lock and unlock stop functioning? How bout the panic button on the fob (which also doesn't work). The car makes no audible noises when pressing everything. I've followed the instructions to the T when matching it to the car so that's not it. Guess what I'm asking is actuator or transmitter what do we think?

Third, someone did install an after market stereo, badly installed. I hooked everything up (properly) to a new one, not sure if that would effect the keyless or alarm or not, but I did notice a fuse in a small black rectangular plastic harness with 2 black wires mounted to the car behind the stereo. What's this go to?

And fourth, also under the radio it seems theres a black auxiliary plug plugged into a female equivalent, next to the annoying beepy noise maker and another plug that resembles a slide on TV cable connector or CB antenna connector (I know it's not for those, but just giving an idea of the shape)

Any help on these mysterys I can't figure out would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jagojay; 02-18-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Thinking number 4 is the I-Bus connector for the 6 disc changer?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
Can you post pics of these mystery cables? the TV antenna sounding thing is most likely the radio antenna plug.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Yeh I'll throw some up when I get back from Atlanta, prolly gonna be around 8 or 9
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagojay View Post
Yeh I'll throw some up when I get back from Atlanta, prolly gonna be around 8 or 9
No sweat!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM

Alright so here's picture of the plug which I'm now thinking is the controller for the 6 disc changer

http://i.imgur.com/oDhHjdD.jpg

This is the aux plug whilst plugged in, also thinking 6 disc changer

http://i.imgur.com/ffIuUDk.jpg

Still behind the radio, no clue what this goes to

http://i.imgur.com/iO3Z3ZW.jpg

Also behind is this blue wire leading to the fuse

http://i.imgur.com/HuQK6x9.jpg

No clue what this is but I'm missing one of te front bumper

http://i.imgur.com/BbI8SQM.jpg

As for the top that I'm thinking isn't going down all the way

http://i.imgur.com/3JXOJQu.jpg

That as far as it goes or?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 AM
Teenage Speed Demon

Mein Auto: Z3 2.5i Roadster
I as well have a useless button on my key. I have a big circle that locks, a smaller one for unlocking, then a button that looks like it has a WiFi symbol on it that does nothing. Yes i know its not WiFi
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Still dunno what those plugs and such are for that being said long as their working I won't worry about it. Traced the unknown circular plug, it is the controller for the cd changer... Finished wiring my stereo today and I must say, for my frst car I had a 91 geo metro with the stock alpine 4 inches and it sounded better lol. That being said though I never did get the door speakers to work, but I'm not too upset about that.

Went to the dealer today, the one I went to had no idea how far down the top is supposed to go, I'm just going to assume its supposed to fold flat and try to find what it's sticking on.

All that's left unanswered is central locking/panic... Dealer that sold me the car said they'd replace the transmitter first and go from there if that doesn't work. Wish me luck

Also - loving my first BMW/foreign car

Last edited by Jagojay; 02-22-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Is the alarm sensor for the radio. you can simply unplug it.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Need a tow?

Mein Auto: '99 Z3 2.8/'04 X5
Thre are two reasons the top won't go down all the way are something in the top well, and the actuator rod is bound on something
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 Roadster
As for the height of the top when retracted, that does not seem correct. Wife's car has the manual top and it goes a lot farther down; something must be interfering. What type of aftermarket stereo was used? Is there an adapter for the wiring harness or must the original connector be cut off?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinZ3 View Post
I as well have a useless button on my key. I have a big circle that locks, a smaller one for unlocking, then a button that looks like it has a WiFi symbol on it that does nothing. Yes i know its not WiFi
That button turns your dome light on.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 AM

Stereo installed by me is a pioneer, guy who owned the car cut the factory wiring harness, was a struggle but I got all the amp wires hooked up right. Sub and both rears work, as do fronts, except door speakers. Everything behind the stereo as far as I can tell is wired correctly. So I'll trouble shoot the receiving end of the speaker wire when I get time.

As for the top I'm not sure what it is, but I've noticed I can push it down a lil further by hand, same thing goes for when I disconnect the motor and do it manually. I may take some wd to the joints as that's the only thing I haven't looked at or tried.

The thing missing in the front is a parking sensor, 4 front 4 back. Found the box when checking the subframe mount welds yesterday.

Last edited by Jagojay; 02-25-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Correcting my pre coffee typos
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Z3's dont have parking sensors.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM

I'm assuming they put one in it aftermarket wise, (directed electronics 9400t). For what reason I'm not sure, not like you struggle in a tight parking space in the tiny thing. That being said who knows what other things have been added or taken off I noticed a few of the options that were checked when it was new aren't actually there as well. Such as a multi function M steering wheel, and battery master switch (or at least I haven found it).
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagojay View Post
I'm assuming they put one in it aftermarket wise, (directed electronics 9400t). For what reason I'm not sure, not like you struggle in a tight parking space in the tiny thing. That being said who knows what other things have been added or taken off I noticed a few of the options that were checked when it was new aren't actually there as well. Such as a multi function M steering wheel, and battery master switch (or at least I haven found it).
Z3's also never came with a multi-function steering wheel. There is a version of the Z3 steering wheel that is, however that was on the e39's and e38's, not the Z3. My build sheet says the same but it's misleading. As far as the master switch:
That is the plug for the switch that is removed at the dealer when the techs take it out of transport mode and perform the PDI inspection on it. When the car is in transport to the dealer they flip this switch to disconnect the battery from the car to keep it fully charged. It is nothing to worry about. the other portion was removed from the battery.