Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Mileage Envy

I'm just getting around 29 or 30 mpg over the past two years in my 2010 335d, and see reports of 34-36 from other posters. Arrgh!

Is it an issue of tire pressures? We don't do "jack rabbit" starts, though I should tell you that most of our trips are short in-town jaunts. There are no bricks or whacked hoodlums in the trunk. The passenger load is usually one or two.

On freeways, we average about 70-75 (don't tell anyone). We use Shell diesel.

Any thoughts as to how we can improve our performance (uh...that would be mileage)?

Thanks.

Richard
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Richard,

My MPG has been steady in the 29-31MPG range since new. I have a regular commute about 36 miles one way and it is approx 60/40 highway/city. City kills your MPG in these cars. And if you drive like you stole it on the Hwy, you get right about 30MPG.

On road trips I saw 36mpg doing 70-80mph.

The A/C will also have about a 1.5-2.0mpg affect between summer and winter here in Florida.

Sport is lower than non-sport. Wider tires are lower than standard.

I've got it in a groove and nothing seems to make it change much from there.

I keep my tires on the high side, in the 40-42psi range.

p.s. check out Fuelly.com to get some better ideas what folks are doing

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I think you are doing really good if most of your driving is short in town trips. My car has averaged around 29mpg since new. Most of my driving is on the freeway but traffic happens a lot. It is the stop n go behavior that kills mpg in these. At least that has been my experience.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Just finished a run from Atlanta to Biloxi Miss. I avg 34 mpg @ ~80 mph.

My fuelly mpg is about 15% city.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 02-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

I've always averaged around 30 mpg since new. Never could figure out how peeps are getting mid 30's.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
...though I should tell you that most of our trips are short in-town jaunts.
After a combined 4 years with my two diesels I've concluded that diesels are not well suited for city driving....including in terms of fuel economy.My experience is that they both were/are *very* well suited for the Interstate at a steady 70mph which,thankfully,discribes 90% of my miles.If you ever get a chance to cruise a traffic free Interstate at 70mph for a few hundred miles (which I've done a number of times) your mileage figures will bring a smile to your face!

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 02-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Mileage Envy

Thanks for the responses, which made me feel better, and for the tips. I did get 33 mpg on a 115-mile trek from San Diego to LA, which pleased me.

I believe that the new diesel for the 3 series will be downgraded, though BMW says that its performance will be the same...I'm not so sure...

How about the hybrid (3AH or whatever) vs. the new 3 series diesel (when it arrives) in terms of mpg?

But, as has been said, "The torque didn't bring ya."

It may well be that the 335d engine may go into the 535d, which is a bigger and heavier car. And it may go into the X3d when it appears.

So many choices!

Richard
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
most of our trips are short in-town jaunts.
That's the reason, no other.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
One thing I have noticed (at least from the OBC and the mpg gauge, if you can believe them) the 335d does its best at maintaining a certain speed with optimal mileage. Accelerating, is not its strong suit, at least in terms of fuel consumption (I am having a verrrry hard time avoiding accelerating ALL the time in this beast). On a flat road I can keep the mpg gauge pasted a 50+mpg at 75mph, of course with the hills it decreases. Just starting from a light with 1/4 throttle will peg it in the opposite direction.

Not even getting into hyper-milling or whatever it is called, simply accelerating reasonably to a speed and maintaining that speed is what I have found does the best - again assuming you can trust the electronics. Now my car is brand new to me (2 weeks) so I am having a bit too much fun at the moment so I tend to be around 26 mpg (70% city). However, I did try a few tests and paying attention to and minimizing long medium to high periods of acceleration and deceleration improved my fuel efficiency by about 4-6 mpg. Of course you can take it to extremes if you want, but in standard mixed cty/hwy driving smooth acceleration to speed and maintaining that speed (within reason of course - traffic kills it) is what I found works best.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Quote:
I believe that the new diesel for the 3 series will be downgraded, though BMW says that its performance will be the same...I'm not so sure...

How about the hybrid (3AH or whatever) vs. the new 3 series diesel (when it arrives) in terms of mpg?

But, as has been said, "The torque didn't bring ya."

It may well be that the 335d engine may go into the 535d, which is a bigger and heavier car. And it may go into the X3d when it appears.
Not sure where the claim for same performance as the 335d came from. The first 3er diesel will be a 2L single turbo (180hp/280 lb-ft), vs the 3L dual turbo in the 335d.

The 320d (equivalent to the '328d' coming here) combined fuel economy is over 30% better than the Active3 hybrid, but that is really not a fair comparison. Two totally different vehicles. The hybrid has power close to 335i and much better fuel economy.

The engine in your 335d won't be coming over here in the 5. That engine power output is the same as the single turbo 3L found in the 530d.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
One thing I have noticed (at least from the OBC and the mpg gauge, if you can believe them) the 335d does its best at maintaining a certain speed with optimal mileage. Accelerating, is not its strong suit, at least in terms of fuel consumption (I am having a verrrry hard time avoiding accelerating ALL the time in this beast). On a flat road I can keep the mpg gauge pasted a 50+mpg at 75mph, of course with the hills it decreases. Just starting from a light with 1/4 throttle will peg it in the opposite direction.

Not even getting into hyper-milling or whatever it is called, simply accelerating reasonably to a speed and maintaining that speed is what I have found does the best - again assuming you can trust the electronics. Now my car is brand new to me (2 weeks) so I am having a bit too much fun at the moment so I tend to be around 26 mpg (70% city). However, I did try a few tests and paying attention to and minimizing long medium to high periods of acceleration and deceleration improved my fuel efficiency by about 4-6 mpg. Of course you can take it to extremes if you want, but in standard mixed cty/hwy driving smooth acceleration to speed and maintaining that speed (within reason of course - traffic kills it) is what I found works best.
I really think this is because of the smaller turbo and how easily it builds boost. But then that smaller turbo to me is what adds to a lot of the daily driving enjoyment.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
Not even getting into hyper-milling or whatever it is called, simply accelerating reasonably to a speed and maintaining that speed is what I have found does the best - again assuming you can trust the electronics.
This is what I have noticed as well after a year of driving the car. Seems to get best highway mileage if you accelerate briskly to speed, then just maintan speed. If you go up a hill, again put some power into it then just maintain once you achieve the needed speed. I can get better MPG NOT using cruse control on anything but a perfectly level road. Accelerating slowly actually yields relatively poor mileage.

Last edited by KeithS; 02-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
This is what I have noticed as well after a year of driving the car. Seems to get best highway mileage if you accelerate briskly to speed, then just maintan speed. If you go up a hill, again put some power into it then just maintain once you achieve the needed speed. I can get better MPG NOT using cruse control on anything but a perfectly level road. Accelerating slowly actually yields relatively poor mileage.
Agreed on this last point; however, flooring it to get there is probably even worse :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I don't think I have seen my best tankful yet. Best I got was on an interstate jaunt for about 3/4 of the tank, the balance was suburbia. For that I got 37.1mpg over the whole tank. I bet if I was on an all-day trip across the USA heartland it might get a calculated 40mpg. You can see what my current average is around suburban Maryland near Annapolis over my 25 fillups. I do not baby it except until it warms up. Unless it is just to the nearby grocery store only, I make it a practice to goose it at least a couple of times on every trip.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy335dOwner View Post
I make it a practice to goose it at least a couple of times on every trip.
I call this an Italian tune up. My driving is mainly surface streets on my 4.5 mile commute. So, I feel like i need to drive her (named Deedee) like she was meant to. I'm scared the DPF will screw up if I don't romp on it every once in a while. I have a real flat drive to Galveston occasionally. I reset the mileage computer and set cruise to ~68. I routinely see 40 to 42 mpg when cool enough to not run A/C. There are times that i reset and see mileage at 33 mpg and i'm guessing that is when a regen is happening. I don't have the fancy gismos that TDIwise has to see a regen is happening.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: tbd
How to Improve

Just take 80 mile trips that are 90% freeway/10% suburban at an overall average speed of 53-56 mph and you can average 35-36 mpg.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwBill001 View Post
Just take 80 mile trips that are 90% freeway/10% suburban at an overall average speed of 53-56 mph and you can average 35-36 mpg.
I got that mpg and averaged much higher speeds as per the computer. I'd think if I averaged that speed I'd end up with even better mpg.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: tbd
How to Improve

Unfortunately that is what my average speed is on my commute. The highway part is usually 65-70. It's the suburban part with those damn stoplights that slows me down.