Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 530i, Two 635's, 328iS
CCV, "Cold Weather" version or "Standard"?

After doing a search and reading up on CCV symptoms and replacement I decided to order up the parts but ran into a question on the listings in RealOEM.

There is "Cold Weather" version and a "Standard" version listed. I'm not quite sure which to get or what the differences are.

My car is a 2002 530i delivered new to Seattle. VIN CE93396

It is still in the Pacific Northwest and subjected to 8 or 9 months of average temps, high 30's to high 40's with a couple of snow days thrown in. Summers are 60 to 80 on average.

It has heated seats, intensive clean, headlight washers but no ski pass through. Does this qualify as a cold weather package?

I checked the build sheet and there is no specific callout for "Cold Weather Package".

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
DJ

Last edited by Spasso; 03-04-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
The cold weather CCV was developed by BMW after many CCV's failed in the cold months. If you live in Seattle, I would go with the cold CCV kit. ECS has the kit.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
CCV failure is probably due more to driving habits than CCV design. The winter CCV is insulated (barely). The insulation's ability to retain internal heat is limited (you will know what I mean when you see it). The internal heat is needed to dissipate the accumulation of condensate. If you drive repeated short distances in cool/cold weather, you are a prime candidate for CVV failure. The CCV needs a good long drive at operating temps to clear the residual "snot" from the system. The insulated CCV is definitely needed in cold environments (Calgary, New England, etc.) But in Seattle, if you have a long highway commute, you are fine with the regular system. If you drive short distances on a cold engine, get the insulated version.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Cold-weather CCV is another engineering failure.

Avoid short trips (less than 7 miles) and you will be fine.
Once or twice a month, group all trips together (grocery, dry cleaner etc. etc.) and once in a while go on the highway and give your car an Italian tune-up to avoid CCV blockage.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
CCV failure is probably due more to driving habits than CCV design. The winter CCV is insulated (barely). The insulation's ability to retain internal heat is limited (you will know what I mean when you see it). The internal heat is needed to dissipate the accumulation of condensate. If you drive repeated short distances in cool/cold weather, you are a prime candidate for CVV failure. .
Good points about the insulation and sludge build up. Hadn't thought of that.

I forgot to mention that this car spent it's first 100k in and around the city.
It now has 110k and makes a 60 mile round trip everyday on the freeway.

These are the only times it smokes:
A) I shut it off briefly when I get home to open the garage and it smokes on re-start.
B) It just recently started to smoke on cold starts after sitting overnight.
If it sits two days, no smoke.
C) Running errands around town or out on the freeway, no smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post

Avoid short trips (less than 7 miles) and you will be fine.
Once or twice a month, group all trips together (grocery, dry cleaner etc. etc.) and once in a while go on the highway and give your car an Italian tune-up to avoid CCV blockage.
Italian tune-up. I'm good at that.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Make sure you get the redesigned hose from the ccv to the dipstick with the shallower angle.

More information here:
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1) & a video of oil separator quacking chubacca noise (1) & vacuum leaks due to holes in one or more of the five CCV hoses (1) (2) (3) or frozen or torn diaphragms (1) & a clogged CCV (1) causing pressure in the crankcase and smoke in the exhaust necessitating CCV system overhaul (BavAuto M54, M54,M54,M54,M54, & M54 observations) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); usually replaced with the insulated CCV upgrade (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to do a CCV delete (1)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Response to your thread on bimmerforum, but I do it here too. It's not that cold in Seattle for the CCV to failed, unless you're in the other side of the mountain. You dont have short commute either, so standard CCV is fine.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD), 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)
Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 530I/Stick Blown
Quote:
+1. The cold weather CCV is a real joke from BMW engineer. I thought German engineers are passionate at their jobs. I was so wrong.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Cold-weather CCV is another engineering failure
I've never understood pipe insulation.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
While the pipe and CCV insulation do not entirely prevent the clogging of the CCV system, it probably does slow down the accumulation of the mayo, under identical operating conditions. Hence it represents a partial solution. Is that an engineering failure? Not from BMW's management perspective. It is a very cost effective solution to reducing, although not eliminating, a specific problem. Given how the CCV operates and the use of synthetic oil, I do not see how this problem can be completely eliminated without redesigning the complete CCV system. Given the near perfect balance between output and efficiency of the overall I6 powerplant, I can forgive them for their shortcomings on the engine subsystems (CCV, cooling system, Vanos seals, DISA pins, etc., etc.)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Make sure you get the redesigned hose from the ccv to the dipstick with the shallower angle.

More information here:
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system)
Thanks for the excellent links. Being a recent graduate from E34's this is all new to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmvE39/E53/Z32 View Post
Response to your thread on bimmerforum, but I do it here too. It's not that cold in Seattle for the CCV to failed, unless you're in the other side of the mountain. You dont have short commute either, so standard CCV is fine.
Thanks for the input.
Oddly, no smoke on restart when I got home last night and no smoke on start-up this morning.
I let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it off when I got home last night.
I'll try it again tonight and see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM

For the last week I've been running the car up to 5k rpm through the first 3 gears every time I get on the freeway and it has quit smoking on start up.
The engine runs great.
I must have blown some blockage out of the CCV system.
I notice a small deposit of cream colored residue on the oil filler cap so I will go ahead on the CCV replacement.
This will include a new air distribution manifold and R & R of the intake for cleaning.