Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2002 (E39) 530i
What spark plugs should I purchase for my '02 530i?

Hello everyone,

After reading through several spark plug change DIY's, I decided I'm going to man up and change my spark plugs myself. My vehicle has done 92,000 kms, so I'm sure they're in need for a change (don't believe they have been changed).

Would I just need to replace the spark plugs, or should I replace the ignition coils and connector boots as well?

Are there any specifics I need to know before I embark on my first DIY experience? I want to make sure I do a good proper job of this.

Thank you in advanced.

-update-
Forgot to add that I had my rocker gasket cover "tightened" due to oil leaks. However, I'm smelling what I believe to be burning oil (sometimes see a bit of smoke coming from the bonnet), I had my A/C cleaned out professionally so surely there's still a leak?
Good idea to do the rocker gasket cover before changing the spark plugs?

Last edited by DomS; 02-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Just do the sparkplugs. Do the gasket if you have a leak. There is a gasket DIY at Beisansystems.com. Go with NGK sparkplugs.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
... but not just any NGK plugs: get the platinum BKR6EQUP, or, if you want to save money, get the Bosch FGR7DQP.

After removing the coils, examine the plug wells for pools of oil, which collect when the gasket goes.

Torque the plugs dry, at 23 ft-lbs. You should have a torque wrench anyway, if you plan any more projects.

No need to change coils until they begin to misfire. If you find oil in the well, carefully examine the boots for damage. They should be pliable, and fit snugly over the plugs.

Once the valve cover gasket begins to leak, it must be replaced, since it gets hard and shrinks. Replace before or after the plugs, up to you.

The air ducts above the engine can leak fumes into the cabin if not correctly installed.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540iA
I just ordered gaskets and spark plugs, as well as ccv. I found oil in spark plug well and I got multicylinder misfire codes so I think they are related.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525iT w/S52 5 spd swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomS View Post
Hello everyone,

After reading through several spark plug change DIY's, I decided I'm going to man up and change my spark plugs myself. My vehicle has done 92,000 kms, so I'm sure they're in need for a change (don't believe they have been changed).

Would I just need to replace the spark plugs, or should I replace the ignition coils and connector boots as well?

Are there any specifics I need to know before I embark on my first DIY experience? I want to make sure I do a good proper job of this.

Thank you in advanced.

-update-
Forgot to add that I had my rocker gasket cover "tightened" due to oil leaks. However, I'm smelling what I believe to be burning oil (sometimes see a bit of smoke coming from the bonnet), I had my A/C cleaned out professionally so surely there's still a leak?
Good idea to do the rocker gasket cover before changing the spark plugs?
I was smelling burning oil recently with my 03 530i and it turned out to be leaking CCV hoses and CCV under the intake manifold. It was worse when driving hard with a lot of full throttle excursions. Try shining a flashlight behind your intake manifold and look at the engine block. If it is wet like mine was, you have a problem that will get worse over time. Wet oil in that location can also be from a leaking valve cover gasket and a leaking oil filter housing gasket. With my car, the problem was only due to leaking CCV system. Valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gaskets are still good. My car has ~130K miles. What concerns me about your description is this: (sometimes see a bit of smoke coming from the bonnet). My car was doing that. When mine failed completely, the engine started sucking oil up from the oil pan into the intake manifold and generating a large amount of dense blue smoke. CCV work is a fair bit more difficult than spark plug replacement but the CCV replacement DIY procedure is very well documented on here. Search for it. If you need to do this work, try to get it done while your weather is still warm. I had to do mine in freezing conditions outside on my driveway. That was not much fun and it made the job much harder.

If you need to R&R the CCV system and you put it off too long, you run a risk of sucking too much oil into the engine and hydro-locking one or more cylinders. Liquid is not compressible and too much of it will result in bent rods, cracked pistons and a very trashed engine. I think that would have been the result of my failure if I had not been driving very slow when the big problem manifested itself. In hindsight, I had plenty of warning of impending failure but did not act on it promptly. I hope you don't have the same problem but if you do, don't put off repairing it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Type /spark plug F3 into the bestlinks and you'll find this:
- BMW spark plug application charts (1) (2) & the best plug to use (1) (2) & a deciphering key (1) & keys to reading plugs (1) & the truth about torque & anti-seize (1) & the truth about gap (1) (2) & DIYs for replacing spark plugs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

What more does the OP need?