Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Had to replace an RFT even though I never ran it flat

So I had a weird and expensive experience this weekend. Sorry for the long story.

After driving my car for 20 months keeping my tires inflated to the correct pressure (I have a small pancake compressor), I get in the car Saturday afternoon, drive away, and am welcomed with a low tire alarm on the right rear. So I stop after driving less than a quarter mile and measure the pressure with my digital gauge. The pressure is 30.5 psi (of 42 that I put in there about a week ago). So I drive it straight back home, fill the tire to 42 psi and take the other car to Universal Studios to see The Steve Miller Band. I get home about 2330, and expectedly the tire is down to 37.5. So in the morning I fill it to 42 again (it was at about 30 psi) and drive it to Tires Plus which is the only shop around here that will attempt to fix runflats.

They take it off and roll it over to me to show me how the entire inside sidewall is ruined, as if it had been driven on flat. Which it hadn't. So I am flabbergasted as to how this happened.

Needless to say, I had to buy a new tire to the tune of $304 installed. Which is way below cost for a Potenza RE050A I 255/30/18. I got a wrong quote from firestone (they quoted a front) but sold me the rear for that price anyway. Nice place.

So my question is how did this happen? I thought this only could happen if you ran it flat.

FYI I now hate runflats because the more I think of it, the worse they are. Can really leave you stranded.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Ads by Google
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Your lost me at Steve Miller Band

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Your lost me at Steve Miller Band
Nice.

'11 BMW 335is Coupe | Cobb stage 2 sport | aFe Stage 2 Intake | AR downpipes | ETS 5" intercooler
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
only one question is, have you owned the car from new? if you purchased it new then that is a strange thing to encounter. if used maybe the other owner drove on it flat and messed the tire up and a tire shop fixed it anyway, and left you with a damaged tire

only thing I can think of. Now I would be afraid of the other tires at this point

maybe have the rest unmounted and the interiors checked

Hondo
Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
So, in your words, run-flats "Can really leave you stranded". I must be missing something, please enlighten me as to how these tires left you stranded?? You were able to go about your day, and roll into the tire shop at your convenience...all on a tire that failed for some reason. I would consider this a run-flat sucess, not a failure. A go-flat tire probably would have failed much sooner, and you may have been broke down on the side of the freeway when the concert started.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 AM

I dont think he said it left him stranded, what I took from his comment is a run flat could leave you stranded, Until we get the answer, is he the first or second owner of the car, we dont know if a previous owner( if such exist ) drove on the tire with out air and was repaired and his little jaunt killed the side wall, maybe that little amount of driving under inflated was enough to destroy the tire, and I think you can be stranded if you have a catastrophic blow out where the tire disintegrates.

My opinion is if your low pressure indicator comes on, pull over immediately, check the pressures on all tires, carry a 12 Volt car compressor, fill the tire back up, and or carry a plug kit and if you find the nail/ screw stick a plug in it, get to the nearest tire store, but dont drive on the tire if you want to save it

maybe BMW needs to make DOR,,, drive on rims

Hondo
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 AM

To answer the question, owned the car since new. I never ran any tire flat, in fact never below 30.5 psi and only at that pressure for a quarter mile. Only thing that makes sense, and it doesn't make sense, is that running it for a quarter mile at 30.5 psi and less than 30 mph somehow damaged the inside sidewall. Unless the tire was put on the car at the factory already damaged. I am not going to check all the others at this point.

As far as the stranded thing, what if I was in Gainesville which I am quite often during football season, I spend the night after the Saturday game because I am celebrating the inevitable win, and I have this same incident. Only one out of 4 tire shops I called in Orlando had the tire in stock, the others had to order it and couldn't get it until Monday. Gainesville is tiny. Granted I could jump through a few hoops if the tire exists at the remote location and probably get the tire delivered to the shop I am at, if there is a courier working on Sunday, blah blah blah.

Point is this: My 2001 X5 (don't have it anymore), and my 2004 330ci both had/have a FULL SIZE spare that I always kept/keep at correct pressure. Never leaves me stranded. Let me reiterate: I hate donuts and RFTs. Would much rather have a full size spare all day long. FYI there is no room for a spare kit in the E93. Could possibly use a TPMS-friendly fix-a-flat and a portable mini-compressor. Would consider that. But how far can you safely drive on that? I would guess not over 50 miles.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
File this along with all the others under "run flat tires $uck. N4S
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
The limitations of GFT and a mobility kit were brought home to me last week. Go out to my car and flat. BTW, I have Conti Extreme Contact DW. Try to pump it up, and the air is escaping as fast as the mobility kit can pump it in. Take off the wheel and there is a split on inside side wall. A curious failure given the sudden unexplained nature. Tire goo or plug is worthless in this scenario. Call Discount Tire to see about a replacement. "Sure, we can have one here in 5 business days." I dropped the wheel and tire off at Discount Tire last Wednesday to await the arrival of the replacement. I hope to get it today. Almost a week I would have been without transportation. But for the fact that I have the Z4, I would be completely screwed. And if it happened while I was out of town, I hate to think of the problems.

I ordered a compact spare. Should arrive tomorrow. Of course, I would have much the same problem with RFT in getting a replacement if the leak in the RFT was not repairable. Point being, not sure there is any good solution save for a full size spare properly stowed under the trunk liner. Last time I looked there wasn't enough room.

Last edited by LarkHouston; 02-19-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
The limitations of GFT and a mobility kit were brought home to me last week. Go out to my car and flat. BTW, I have Conti Extreme Contact DW. Try to pump it up, and the air is escaping as fast as the mobility kit can pump it in. Take off the wheel and there is a split on inside side wall. A curious failure given the sudden unexplained nature. Tire goo or plug is worthless in this scenario. Call Discount Tire to see about a replacement. "Sure, we can have one here in 5 business days." I dropped the wheel and tire off at Discount Tire last Wednesday to await the arrival of the replacement. I hope to get it today. Almost a week I would have been without transportation. But for the fact that I have the Z4, I would be completely screwed. And if it happened while I was out of town, I hate to think of the problems.

I ordered a compact spare. Should arrive tomorrow. Of course, I would have much the same problem with RFT in getting a replacement if the leak in the RFT was not repairable. Point being, not sure there is any good solution save for a full size spare properly stowed under the trunk liner. Last time I looked there wasn't enough room.

they have special made tire trunk fitters look on ebay or tire track
Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
Quote:
They take it off and roll it over to me to show me how the entire inside sidewall is ruined, as if it had been driven on flat.
How would this be the fault of a RFT? If you had a regular go-flat tire, wouldn't it have been destroyed?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrocks View Post
[B]So my question is how did this happen? I
Your tire was telling you to skip the Steve Miller Band and upgrade to Zack Brown.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post
Your tire was telling you to skip the Steve Miller Band and upgrade to Zack Brown.
I like Zack Brown Band. Saw them last year in Tampa. Off the chain show. For a country band haha.

Steve Miller is one of my all time favorites. His music is timeless. And he is such an accomplished musician. Have seen him 4 times in 5 years.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
How would this be the fault of a RFT? If you had a regular go-flat tire, wouldn't it have been destroyed?
Perhaps you don't understand the mystery of what happened. Read back this thread and you will see. I DIDN'T RUN IT WHILE IT WAS FLAT. RFTs suck if they are ruined when they are run at 30.5 psi for a quarter mile under 30 mph.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
RFTs suck if they are ruined when they are run at 30.5 psi for a quarter mile under 30 mph.
They aren't. Excluding the possibility of a defective tire, you can run ~50 miles at moderate speed on ZERO (psig) pressure. There is no way the sidewall would fail in a short distance at 30psi unless it was already damaged.

Something else happened to that tire before the final incident. All we can do is speculate, although photos might focus the speculation if you had some.

Since we're speculating: Are you absolutely certain it was the sidewall that failed? Or was it worn to the cords at the extreme inside edge of the tread/top of the sidewall, where the tread and sidewall meet? That would be typical for some BMWs, due to the combination of RWD, high power and substantial negative camber in the rear suspension. Many a first-time BMW owner (not referring to you) has come to grief over this point.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 02-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM

I believe his other concern is, yes a go flat tire would share the same issue and strand you but the big Issue as I read it, THEIR IS NO SPARE TIRE IN THE FRIGGIN CAR!!!!!

thats the issue

I have a spare car which is a toyota 4 runner 4x4 and at 71 Triumph TR6 so I can still get around. But thinking I need to call the tire store and check on availability of my size tire, if none in stock I might purchase a front and rear tire to keep on hand
or even look on ebay for a spare set of tires and wheels, that way I can have summer and winter set
thanks

Hondo
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM

And another thing, If the RFT cant be repaired I might as well drive the car home on the RFT, destroy the tire, and park the car at the house, jack the car up take the wheel off and take it to the tire place

providing I am withing 60 miles of home

Hondo
Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
They aren't. Excluding the possibility of a defective tire, you can run ~50 miles at moderate speed on ZERO (psig) pressure. There is no way the sidewall would fail in a short distance at 30psi unless it was already damaged.

Something else happened to that tire before the final incident. All we can do is speculate, although photos might focus the speculation if you had some.

Since we're speculating: Are you absolutely certain it was the sidewall that failed? Or was it worn to the cords at the extreme inside edge of the tread/top of the sidewall, where the tread and sidewall meet? That would be typical for some BMWs, due to the combination of RWD, high power and substantial negative camber in the rear suspension. Many a first-time BMW owner (not referring to you) has come to grief over this point.
Agreed there is no way the sidewall would fail from what I did. I don't have any photos unfortunately.

What I saw was on one side of the tire BTW. The damage was around the entire circumference of the tire. It looked like more of a split of a layer or layers of rubber, I would say an inch to inch and a half above where the curved part starts. This was not wear I don't think. The tire had about 14100 miles on it, and lots of tread left across the whole tire. All my tires look very good with lots of even tread left.

I am writing this off as a defective tire, which I don't care to go after anyone, like the manufacturer or BMW about.

I am embarrased to say I left out one important detail in the original post: The tire had a nail in it that was causing it to lose air. Tires Plus was going to plug and patch it, but discovered the damage and couldn't.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
I am writing this off as a defective tire, which I don't care to go after anyone, like the manufacturer or BMW about.
That would be my conclusion, too. It's also probably not worth pursuing reimbursement as you mention.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Somehow or other YOU DID RUN IT FLAT...unless you want to believe that the interior of your tire was subject to "flesh (rubber) eating bacteria."

You're claiming that there was NO indication of a nail, puncture...valve leak...impact? Nothing at all according to the dealer that changed the tire?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Did the damage look anything like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-443S.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	363078  
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasa-d View Post
Did the damage look anything like this:
That looks VERY strange and suspicious. I note that there's a lot of tread remaining. What did the interior look like? No punctures? No valve leaks? You might have a case.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Full size spare? Who needs that? Just think of all the useless weight you are carrying all the time for no reason and all the fuel consumed in the process. And all the blue whales dying because of it. No, spare tire is a bad, nay, BAD idea.

Spare CAR, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable and you should have one when owning a BMW. According to BMW engineers.

Yes, been there, done that. My RFT failed on Labor Day weekend. If it weren't for the spare car, I'd have been royally screwed. Since then, I have a E60 doughnut spare in my garage and Michelin PSS tires on my wheels.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
I am unlikely to buy Continental tires again. To follow up on my post above, I finally got the replacement tire today after a solid week to bring it from Georgia. I had this same problem about a year ago. Took a week to get a new Continental tire after an irreparable flat. Discount Tire told me Continentals are always difficult to get as they make only a limited number. He told me that he has had instances where it has taken a month to get a Continental. Seems incredible to me, but after two similar situations, I am a believer.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
That looks VERY strange and suspicious.
You look very strange and suspicious.