Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M5, 1983 Euro 635CSI
2001 M5 Airbag troubles- Can't reset light

Hello all. I'm about to sell the beast, and I have an airbag light on that I'd like to take care of before I send her off. Here's a little background on the issues I've had: Airbag light has been on for some time. There was no communication from the module to the OBD2 connector. After much troubleshooting and wire hunting, I found there was a broken connection between the instrument cluster and the OBD2 connector. I repaired that and now have communication with the module via INPA. I consistently get 6 errors. I reset them using INPA, but they immediately return. Here they are:

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T -------------------------------------
Date: 02/18/13 09:05:49 ECU: MRS3 JobStatus: OKAY Variant: MRS3-------------------------------------------------------------
RESULT: 6 errors in error memory !-------------------------------------------------------------
13 ignition circuit ZK12 -> airbag driver stage 2
Error frequency : 1
error active at the moment resistor too small error is not sporadic-------------------------------------------------------------
12 ignition circuit ZK11 -> airbag passenger stage 2
error active at the moment resistor too large error is not sporadic-------------------------------------------------------------
11 ignition circuit ZK10 -> battery unplug 1
error active at the moment resistor too large error is not sporadic-------------------------------------------------------------
4 ignition circuit ZK3 -> airbag passenger
2 ignition circuit ZK1 -> belt tensioner driver
1 ignition circuit ZK0 -> airbag driver
error active at the moment resistor too small error is not sporadic

================================================== ===========

I've searched and searched and searched and can't find much info on these specific error codes. Before I start tearing the car apart to start trying to figure out what's wrong, or give up and go straight to the stealer to figure it out, I figured I'd ask you all and see if you had any ideas. The car is a 2001 M5, stock. I have a spare airbag module that I coded to the car using NCS expert and it gives the same codes, so it seems to be something with the car and not the module. Any help is much appreciated!

In an effort to provide as much info as possible, I've attached three screenshots of what I see in INPA for the module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Identification.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	362802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coding.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	362803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Read Status.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	362804  

Last edited by cynsatim; 02-18-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added screenshots (xps) for added info
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M5, 1983 Euro 635CSI
To help anybody out that may have these problems in the future:

Passenger airbag showed resistor too large. I had no idea how easy it was to pop the passenger airbag cover off. Found that the connector had been disconnected. Turns out the previous owner was a bag of crap and had disconnected it. Great guy apparently. Reconnected the connector, reset the light, and I'm now down to four codes!

Pulled out the driver's airbag and found that the connectors that plug in to the airbag were damaged. I fenagled one to work as a test and reset the light. Now only three errors! I will order the new harness and expect this one to be resolved.

So in my case, resistor too large indicated an airbag not plugged in. Resistor too small indicated a damaged connector at the steering wheel. The airbag itself has a spring in the connector that shorts to the pin, and I think when the cable is damaged in allows the spring to contact the pin, creating a very low resistance circuit.

Next step is to look at the seat belt tensioner. Resistor too large = it's disconnected? We shall see.

I'm still at a loss for the battery unplug fault. I'll look more in to this one in the next few days and post my findings.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
?has your car ever been crashed?
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs