Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 323i
Question Whats better 2005 m3 or 2006 m5?

Hi guys, I currently have a 1998 323ic convertible black and I was looking to buy a 2003-2005 m3 in a couple of months. I wanted it in black with 19 inch rims and smg transmission. I've heard the the smg tranny in the m3s are really bad and have many problems. Someone told me if the smg pump goes on one of these you would be in for a hefty bill. So I just saw an 2006 m5 that has an auto smg I guess. the m5 I think is faster than the m3 with that v10. but I just wanted to know your guys opinions on this to which car will give you more for you buck and the good mileage to find one at. And if all the smg criticism is correct and its bad on the m3s? any response I would greatly appreciate thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Smg vs 6spd

I have heard the same about it... But honestly it's up to you whatever you prefer. I drive a e46 M3 comp package 6spd and love it!! It has 95k miles and still runs super strong.

Additional info.. I have it up FOR SALE email me at dornelas22@sbcglobal.net if you want to talk more and see some photos.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
SMG failure rate is high, but I'm convinced that it's overstated online. There are threads on here that so roll calls on current mileage and SMG status... they are surprisingly durable. The pump is the failure point, and the part is pricy.

E60 M5 SMG has similar issues, but I don't know if it's more or less common.

E60 is larger in size, newer amenities and way more awesome modules, more expensive parts, notably lower MPG, but more comfortable. They will also be more expensive, but well worth it IMO.

Go to eBay and search for recently competed auctions for each to see current rough prices. If getting an M3, you will likely want to go after an 03.5+.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your response !! And I was looking at a 2005 m3 convertible smg but the only thing is I got a carfax and it said it was a lemon buyback? It's around 16500. And 94000 miles. It was fleet or lease as well but I'm just not sure if they fixed the problem. He says it has clean title in hand ? But any thoughts ? I don't know exactly why it was a lemon? And It is smg but a bmw mechanic told me the first 2 years 2001-2002 is like testing on the smg. He says if u want an smg get anywhere from 2003-2006 ! And comments I would appreciate ! Or maybe stick is better. Smg pump he say is 1500 just the part !! Not to mention it has 100k on it ? And was lemon
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Mein Auto: E46 M3Cic6MT, E39 540iT
A. These are nowhere near comparable cars. Should i buy a new Flatscreen TV or go to Hawaii. Should I order a pizza or vote for an independent candidate in the next election. If you can explain a reason for each (aka "trying to decide whether to go for a pure handling small car or a large power luxury sporting sedan") thats one thing. But the "im stumbling into car lots hey what about an M5 or look a 350Z or maybe a Lexus" storyline says you arent a thinking car buyer and have spent no time considering what you want but instead are bumbling around like a teenage girl at the mall ready to impulse buy some flashy bauble.
B. Beware. Non car smart civilians are gettin all excited about the "cheap" E60M5's. ask yerself why hardcore car enthusiasts aren't snapping those up. (Hint: expensive, and FAR from just the SMG...)
2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (hers)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Some Stuff FS
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoliver2 View Post
Thanks for your response !! And I was looking at a 2005 m3 convertible smg but the only thing is I got a carfax and it said it was a lemon buyback? It's around 16500. And 94000 miles. It was fleet or lease as well but I'm just not sure if they fixed the problem. He says it has clean title in hand ? But any thoughts ? I don't know exactly why it was a lemon? And It is smg but a bmw mechanic told me the first 2 years 2001-2002 is like testing on the smg. He says if u want an smg get anywhere from 2003-2006 ! And comments I would appreciate ! Or maybe stick is better. Smg pump he say is 1500 just the part !! Not to mention it has 100k on it ? And was lemon
Is there a reason you want the SMG? It is a BAD auto tranny for around town. Its a good tranny for the track and driving hard, but comes with all those questions about repairs and maintenance. And a vert isn't going to the track anyway most likely. Im not an SMG hater at all but n00bs who think its like the auto version should be warned. If you are ok with manual and havent driven and are sure you love SMG, then go manual for sure. And as for a Lemon? Id want it to be WAY cheaper than that to accept the risks...

Some Stuff FS
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM

lol yes you are true. I've narrowed it down to an m3! I've realized the cost of maintaining a 2006 m5 is way more expensive than a m3! Also the main reason I want an SMG is mainly for the features. It has that nice 6 mode gearbox which you can change how the tranny shifts. It has paddles and its basically a manual without the clutch. It just has actuators in it which shifts it for you. Actually, its faster than a manual shifting wise. It shifts a lot faster and to me, I cant really see the difference. Except for the pricey smg pump. The mechanic told me look for a 2003 or better with SMG. But I see you have a m3 im guessing its stick. Im sure you like it and I don't know of any major problems besides the smg. But many people would prefer it over a manual because its designed for this car!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM

also take a quick peak at this link. it might change your mind about the SMG!( I don't expect you to read the whole thing obviously just skim or go to "the final analysis" section. Good info about the SMG and why its preffered!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10057
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
I don't know of any major problems besides the smg. But many people would prefer it over a manual because its designed for this car!
Actually few people prefer the SMG. That's why few of them sold new and they tend to go unsold on the used market longer than a manual. There were a couple super super sweet SMG's FS in my area for a long time when I bought my car, no takers all because of the tranny.

The guys who love SMG love SMG for sure but they are a niche segment for sure.

Quote:
also take a quick peak at this link. it might change your mind about the SMG!( I don't expect you to read the whole thing obviously just skim or go to "the final analysis" section. Good info about the SMG and why its preffered!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10057
Don't need to read about SMG's I know all about the SMG - unlike you I'm not new to the scene or the cars.

But like I said I'm not an SMG hater at all... its just that we get n00b guys who buy 'em thinkin' "great its an auto then my girlfriend can drive the car easily and i can drive it in traffic while I talk on my cell phone and drink my Starbucks" but that's a flawed assumption, it's not that kind of automatic. The SMG tranny is great if you fully know what it is and you like that kind of thing.

Just be ready with some cash laid away if you end up needing an SMG repair and dont say nobody warned you.

Some Stuff FS
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 AM

So in a nutshell , a stick would likely be more resonable because it will be less to maintain then the SMG transmission which could break or have problems. I've been researching SMG for around 6 months and I've heard mixed feelings! I have to say you are right , there are alot more smg then sticks around for sale and probably is a reason for that! But honestly, how common are these problems ? Are they in every SMG m3 ? I guess stick might be the way to go
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
I had a 2005 M3 with approx 82k miles that gave me the SMG light... luckily it was just the relay that needs to be replaced. Although, if it had been the pump, I read the part itself is $2k... That was one of the main reason I sold it and got the 2013 550i M sport. Don't want to keep worry about when the pump is going to go.