Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Sports E53 3.0
Battery Issue after Software update?!?

Have a 2006 BMW X5 3.0 Diesel

Has been running perfectly for 3 years, no issues anywhere.

Today i decided to update the computer firmware from a 4-1/80 to 4-1/100 (v.32) from a file downloaded from a known E53 data base.
The update went smooth and exactly as expected.
Then i updated the GPS map CD for the MarkIV GPS system.

All seemed good.....

Then while playing with the new GPS mapping software for around 30minutes (key in position 1) the in-dash display just went black!

Turning the key off, the back to position 1 did nothing, i went to start the car and in just did the relay clicking of a typical flat battery.... Trans Failsafe Prog came up on the cluster display.

Normally i would just think i've run the battery flat, but after 30 to 40 minutes of playing the GPS???
Seems odd, considering the car will run a waeco car fridge for 12 hours without starting the engine, then will start the car no worries while the fridge is still plugged in.

So i am worried the newer firmware may have different tolerances??
Or that it wasnt a good idea to update it?
Or perhaps its just a flat battery?

Is there any known issues with firmware updates, then issues with the vehicle??

Many thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Hopefully you didn't killed the key transponder chip when you left the key in the ignition when the battery went flat like this guy.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...d-go-work.html
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Doctor's orders:
  • Check your battery's fluid (electrolyte level) and top it off if you have removable caps
  • Put your battery on a charger (2 amps for 20 hours)...then get back with us.

BMWs are known to discharge a battery with just keeping the doors open & running the radio when cleaning the vehicle in your driveway.

You don't say how hold your vehicle's battery is...but remember, not only was the Nav CPU running, so was a lot of other control modules that were draining the battery's reserves for that 30 minute period. And by having a 2006 model year...you could still be on the original battery...if so, then it really makes sense that this could occur. It could be time for a new battery...especially if it's the original one installed when your car was built.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-19-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Thank you guys, yes i have read a lot of posts regarding battery discharge issues in a search to understand what happened in my case.
I also did a lot of reading on charging the battery.

Do you suggest charging it whilst in the vehicle and connected
Or to remove the unit and charge it in a "stand alone" manner?

My only concern is some kind of spike or overvoltage or something upsetting the Computer while charging whilst in the vehicle (i read lots of people quoting they suffered issues)
I realise its a bit of an ordeal to remove the battery, and that a complete disconnection could bring its own inherent problems.

Thoughts guys?

QSilver7, you might be correct, as i have no idea how old the battery is, i have owned the X5 for 3 years, it hasn't been replaced in that time, so it could quite possibly be an original unit, 2006 - 2013 seems a stretch though.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 02-19-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Battery was only 4 years old when you got your X and the previous owner knew he was going to get rid of the X so it is highly unlikely that he would go out and buy a new battery before getting rid of the truck. So yeah, that probably is the original battery.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Ok, i will cross my fingers and hope for that. It just seemed a bit of a coincidence that i'd only finished the software update and map update (the only fiddling with the car i've done) then this battery issues.
Just so strange as it ran a Waeco 12Volt fridge a week ago over night with no issues. Admittedly when testing the GPS, doors were open, about 6 interior lights on, GPS running, Radio running

I will recharge it as advised and remove spare wheel and pump to see if i can find a Date of Manufacture on the Battery.

As a side note, if i was to replace the battery, would these vehicles take an AGM style battery?
I can get my hands on a 12V 168Ah 1100CCA for $100 or is it definitely recommended to stick with a battery from BMW (ouch) or a battery manufactures recommended model for that vehicle?

This is the battery in the X5 (E53) 2006 model (the indicator did show "black", it is hard to see under the shadow in this pic.... at least it wasn't "yellow")
I'm not sure if any of the details on the sticker relate to age of Date of Manufacture?

The charger is on the lowest setting i can get it, which is 2.5amps.... even though it is showing slightly above 5amps

Last edited by Salty Dog; 02-19-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM

Well, Thank You very much guys, after 8 hours of charging, i thought i'd give it a try and it started in a blink.
All error messages completely gone.
Had to reset the time on the computer, but all TV and Radio stations remained intact.
Working better than ever.....

Sorry to have sounded like a panic merchant, but after updating the firmware, then computer to fail after 30-40minutes of use, i thought the worst.

So for now it seems, problem solved and safely fixed thanks to your guidance.

EDIT: All the left hand speakers no longer work

Last edited by Salty Dog; 02-20-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 AM

It will still be a good idea to replace the battery seeing that it's pretty old by battery standard and it doesn't seem to have the reserve capacity as before.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM

In regards to a replacement battery...the choices you should look for are a 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery class size. There are many battery brands but only a few battery manufacturers and most batteries in the USA are sold by approx 3 manufacturers (Johnson Controls, EXIDE, & I forget the 3rd). If you have Batteries Plus in your area...they sell the Rayovac brand which I believe is mfg'd by the company I cant seem to recall right now...and again, you'd look for the 49/H8 or 95/H9 battery class that they sell. The 95/H9 usually cost more than the 49/H8...but the specs may or may not be any higher.

Again, the battery class size is what to look for...and you MUST get a battery that vents. There is a battery vent tube that allows gases that are naturally produced by the battery to be vented to the exterior of the car (yes, even AGM batteries, too). Depending on the design of the battery's case...it will either vent from the side (like your original...so DON'T lose the little black elbow that transitions from the tube to the side of the battery)...or it will vent from the top center. The top center vented batteries should come with a vent kit that extends over to the vehicle's vent tube.

Prices will vary (as you've found out already)...but the specs are pretty close among the brand names that are the same battery class size. You can see an example below of the 49, H8 & 95 class size batteries sold by Autozone. And as you can see in the list...you can look at these same battery class sizes if those brands and specs appeal to you & your situation:

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM

QSilver7, thank you for such an informative post and prompt concise information!!!
You should have a "PayPal Donate" button in your sig

I'm in Australia, but the information you have provided i can take with me to see what equivalents we have.
A good friend works at FORD and had offered the AGM battery i mentioned above... I will see if he can provide one matching your specs

Many Thanks and to you also upallnight
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM

Good luck in your search...and sorry for missing that you're in Australia. But on the good side...battery class size is universal (battery specs may vary from brand name to brand name)...but again, the battery class size gives you the correct selection to chose from which will fit your application (and battery compartment space).
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-20-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Just to get back and follow up the thread.

The X5 ran ok after the slow charging with my own charger as pictured above. Then when a Waeco portable fridge was used, it lastest over night, vehicle started the next morning, but then 5 hours later it failed to crank. This time the battery was charged with a CTEK multi stage charger, vehicle was up and running again.
A week later it was slow to start, drove it for an hour (once again with Waeco portable fridge in the back), stopped the vehicle, then it would not start again.

Replacement battery was delivered to us on the road side..... Sadly it from a friend that owns and runs an Auto Parts Wholesale business and was some kind of cheapish, no name brand battery, i did notice it didn't quite spec to the OEM battery. It is a DIN85.

Have since found that these would be better replacements here in Australia;

http://www.centurybatteries.com.au/s...eries/ID-9-260

or

http://www.everybattery.com.au/prodd...prod=Varta-F18 (although this is a DIN77, they dont seem to have a DIN85 in VARTA that i can find)