Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e92-n54
pls advise DD on 15mm rear spacers

I am planning to get new wheels/tires (non rft) and while i am at it I thought I might as well get spacers (15mm) to get a nice crouching tiger look. (no spacers in front). I read many posts here and on e90post regarding spacers and there is no clear verdict for daily drivers. Let me summarize all these spacer related threads

1) They improve handling and are not just for looks.
2) You should always use hub centric (which I was planning to use anyway) to avoid vibrations
3) Most people with issues had lowered their car with after market springs. The most suspension related mod I will ever do in future is get Koni FSD's installed.
4) If you plan to track your car, remove spacers first.
5) They will wear out wheel bearings prematurely.

I am a DD and do drive aggressively at times, fast cornering, high speed (max maybe 110 mph). I do not track. Any potential issues if I went rear spacers only ? (as long as there is no rubbing) What do you people who track do extra that you dont do on the street that warrants spacer removal ? I will be glad if the answer is burn outs and drifting since I dont plan on doing that anyway. There is lot of conflicting info on the forums on spacers and Iam hoping some wheel/suspension guru will clear the dust for me and other members with this predicament. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
The size of spacer will depend on the offset of the wheels you use. If they are OEM wheels, 15mm will be fine. And IMHO aggravated bearing wear would only occur if you used some really wide spacers (30mm+).
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulshan View Post
I'm no "wheel/suspension guru" but I doubt that a 30mm increase in your rear track would make a noticeable difference in handling.

Also putting a non factory designed spacer between your wheels and the hub is introducing a foreign object in a system that was computer designed by BMW engineers with out it. I know people that have lost a wheel when these spacers have worked loose.

It would be better to buy some wheels with that offset and eliminate the spacers.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I'm no "wheel/suspension guru" but I doubt that a 30mm increase in your rear track would make a noticeable difference in handling.

Also putting a non factory designed spacer between your wheels and the hub is introducing a foreign object in a system that was computer designed by BMW engineers with out it. I know people that have lost a wheel when these spacers have worked loose.

It would be better to buy some wheels with that offset and eliminate the spacers
I plan to buy the elbrus i08 from tire rack. (18" wheels). Can someone please tell me what spacer I need to get flush look without rubbing on this wheel. (rear only)

Last edited by gulshan; 02-19-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
You cant do it just by wheel size alone you need to factor in the exact size of the tire. The exact size is not the 255X19X30 its the physical measurement of an inflated loaded tire with a ruler. Tire Rack has this info for all the tires it sells. Somebody on the site might already have the combo & you are golden if not take a lot of measurements at the wheel opening to see how much clearance you have.

Just for a point of info the stock 313 19" wheels will take 245X35X19 & 275X30X19 with out rubbing with no spacers.

BTW if you have a warranty & they see wheel spacers you will have trouble from the dealer.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 02-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
You cant do it just by wheel size alone you need to factor in the exact size of the tire. The exact size is not the 255X19X30 its the physical measurement of an inflated loaded tire with a ruler. Tire Rack has this info for all the tires it sells. Somebody on the site might already have the combo & you are golden if not take a lot of measurements at the wheel opening to see how much clearance you have.

Just for a point of info the stock 313 19" wheels will take 245X35X19 & 275X30X19 with out rubbing with no spacers.

BTW if you have a warranty & they see wheel spacers you will have trouble from the dealer.
I plan to get the Michellin PSS with the elbrus i08 18 " wheels. if anyone has the same setup please let me know what spacers you used on the rear. Worst case as you said I will get the wheels on first and then measure ...Alternatively if a wider Michelin PSS is available pls let me know what size to order so it will look flush without spacers. I have a 2007 e92/n54 with stock wheels. (I have third party extended warranty from my credit union and will probably have some Indy shop install the wheels - no dealer issues if I have to put spacers)

Last edited by gulshan; 02-19-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
I plan to get the Michellin PSS with the elbrus i08 18 " wheels. if anyone has the same setup please let me know what spacers you used on the rear. Worst case as you said I will get the wheels on first and then measure ...Alternatively if a wider Michelin PSS is available pls let me know what size to order so it will look flush without spacers.
That wheel has a variety of available widths and offsets, so you'll need to pick appropriately.

For those without Google-fu, it's a resized clone of the 19" E90M3 OEM selection (multispoke Style 220M).

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
The width of the tire that you can fit on the 18" wheel you are considering is a function of the wheel width and the space under the wheel well. To determine if you need a spacer/what size spacer, you first need to decide what tire size (not just diameter) you want to run. The Tire Rack can help you with this. Once a tire is picked, they can tell you how wide it is. Then by using the offset of the wheel (spec also available from tire Rack) along with 1/2 the width of the tire, you can calculate how much space you have left. This will tell you what size spacers to consider.

All of that said, you would be well advised to follow BashedBarrique's and Bear AV's advice on the spacers. I'd go as wide as the wheels allow, and acll it a day.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Princeton

Also note that the elbrus wheels require spacer rings already. I do not know what (if any) effect this will have on your idea for spacers - or if you would be better off with another wheel. See the reviews for this wheel.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
GODSPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
Also note that the elbrus wheels require spacer rings already. I do not know what (if any) effect this will have on your idea for spacers - or if you would be better off with another wheel. See the reviews for this wheel.
Spacers do accept centering rings but, from my personal experience, wheels that require centering rings are generally extremely poor quality. I would recommend avoiding them entirely.

full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM

I am more confused now. reading reviews for this wheel , one review mentions that this wheel is heavier than the oem M3 wheel of same design and the weight of the car is supported just by the bolts instead of bolts and hub. Does this logic apply to any wheel with a spacer ? I have a feeling i will be spending thru my nose and end up buying oem BMW wheels but unfortunately many of the cool M3 style wheels do not come in 18" diameter.

Last edited by gulshan; 02-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:

Most people won't even notice the difference in handling or appearance. You would probably have to tell them.

Quote:
2) You should always use hub centric (which I was planning to use anyway) to avoid vibrations
Yup, unless you have a really good reason not to. I mean a really good reason.

Quote:
3) Most people with issues had lowered their car with after market springs. The most suspension related mod I will ever do in future is get Koni FSD's installed.
Cannot imagine you having any problems. I'm running 15mm spacers with FSD's, but I got those spacers to bring the offset off the E46 119 style wheels closer to the OE E90 offset.

Quote:
4) If you plan to track your car, remove spacers first.
Can't imagine why you'd do that.

Quote:
5) They will wear out wheel bearings prematurely.
They are not so aggressive it would make a difference if you did nothing else. In combination with other mods and very aggressive driving there might be some effect on bearing life, but that would probably be the least of your worries.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

I now understand why a centering ring is needed for aftermarket wheels. Explained nicely here. Before I get further confused with tapered lug nuts and what not, I will check to see if I find 18" M3 style wheels made specifically for the stock e92/18" wheel offset which can be used without any centering ring. Then I will worry about the spacer..
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Princeton

Better idea is to find (if you can) 18" wheels that you like that incorporate the desired offset. Then you won't need spacers.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM

The quest for the perfect offset has started. Soon I will be talking "et34". (guessing this is same as offset but not sure...).
Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
GODSPD

Quote:
The quest for the perfect offset has started. Soon I will be talking "et34". (guessing this is same as offset but not sure...).
ET34 is about the same as the OEM wheel offset for 8.5" wheels.

Anecdotal evidence: I ran 265/30R19s in back on 19x9.5 ET30 for awhile with no scrubbing issues but it definitely was not flush. ET22 or so might've worked but I never experimented. Coupe / sport suspension.

full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM

I currently have stock Style 189 Rear: 18x8.5 offset 37 and tire size 255/35 18. If I add a 15mm spacer I get the exact flush look like I need. So if I want to avoid using a spacer should I be looking for wheels with offset 52 (37 + 15) ?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
If you are not doing so already, read the really excellent info about wheel offset at the Turner Motorsports website and learn how to use an offset calculator.

Quote:
I currently have stock Style 189 Rear: 18x8.5 offset 37 and tire size 255/35 18. If I add a 15mm spacer I get the exact flush look like I need. So if I want to avoid using a spacer should I be looking for wheels with offset 52 (37 + 15) ?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 PM
GODSPD

Quote:
The math seems odd if you're not familiar with wheel and suspension geometry, but you'd be looking for ET22 (37 - 15).

Positive offset is a measure, in millimeters, of how far outboard the wheel mounting face is from the wheel centerline. Adding a spacer moves the mating face farther inboard so you subtract the thickness of the spacer from the wheel's manufactured offset to determine the new offset.

full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM

thanks guys. iam almost there. I now know why they say et22 is a really aggressive fitment. Meanwhile I have also learned that our bore size is 72.56 (sometimes referred to as 72.6). I am closer to my goal of getting a flush rear wheel look without spacers and hub centric rings. I will read the links posted above.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
Spacers do accept centering rings but, from my personal experience, wheels that require centering rings are generally extremely poor quality. I would recommend avoiding them entirely.
I wouldn't say forged BBS wheels with their PF spacers/centering rings are poor quality...
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
GODSPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I wouldn't say forged BBS wheels with their PF spacers/centering rings are poor quality...
Please refer to the word 'generally.'

I still wouldn't run even a BBS wheel with centering rings, though. Would rather just get the proper wheel face.

OP: You may find more info on what you seek here. Bimmerfest can only help so much in this arena - e90post is a whole different world.

full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE

Last edited by CT; 02-21-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM

I have one last question. I am having a hard time finding some csl style wheels that will give me a flush rear wheel look. Partly cause I want 18" and no spacers/center rings. Lots of choices if I go 19" but I live in Chicago and 18" provide nice balance of comfort/handling. I have stock 18" right now. The only one I found was
18" VMR VB3. Front 18x8.5 et35 and rear 18x9.5 et 22 pcd 5x120, bore 72.6

If the rear was 18x8.5 et 22 I know it will give me perfect flush look, but this is 18x9.5 and I am worried it will give me MexiFlush as shown in below pic. Do you think I will get flush or mexi flush ? thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM
GODSPD

You'd need nearly negative offset levels to achieve mexiflush tier. 9.5 on ET22, if you run 255s, should get you to a little less than flush. Look around on the wheel/tires section of the e90post forums - I'm certain someone over there has thrown up some images of their car using that combination.

full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM

About to pull the trigger on below. Need opinions and feedback (good , bad, ugly). Does anyone know what the gap in mm is between the back of the wheel and the strut (stock front and back) and how close you can go to the strut safely.

hyper silver avant m359 pcd 5x120, bore 72.6
FRONT
18x8.5 et 35
7mm LESS clearance on the strut side, and the outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 5mm
REAR
18x9.5 et 33
9mm LESS clearance on the strut side, and the outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 17mm

I currently have stock Style 189 -- 18" wheels

Last edited by gulshan; 03-30-2013 at 09:22 PM.