Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: x3
X3 rear washer leak, gaining access to the boot lid

Hi

My X3 unfortunately just sprayed water all over my boot today when I went to clean the rear window.

I've read the posts on this site that relate to broken hoses in the car. I have checked and my car footwells are bone dry. Looking at the fault, the hose must have come loose in the boot lid, effectively in the spoiler near the rear light.

I notice their is plastic trim all round the inside of the rear window and this is where the leak is coming out from. How do I remove this plastic trim? I don't want to just pull at it but I guess there is a way of prizing it out. It looks to be in three parts too, the top section where I need to get to and two side plastic strips down each side of the inside boot window.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=103657

Just seen this. Will try this tomorrow if nobody has any more details?

Cheers
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
... Will try this tomorrow if nobody has any more details?
Just in time for your Saturday morning project ...

According to the OP in an earlier thread, you only need to get that top plastic trim off,
- no need to raise the spoiler in the X3.

Sounds like you have to lever fairly purposefuly to remove the 5 clips:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257373
Old 03-06-2010, 01:23 AM

Well spotted Supercourse. Thats a good post and reassures me I can do it myself.

I'll report back when I've sorted it this weekend.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Fixed! Easy, took 5 minutes! Pictures to follow. Essentially exactly as described;

1. Prize off the top central fascia strip inside the boot lid door using a flat bladed screwdriver. I first prized a gap open with the screwdriver then stuck my fingers under the gap and pulled along the length of it...after a bit of pulling the clips from the fascia unlocked from the lugs holding it to the frame. To be honest, I see no way of snapping the lugs as they seem to squeeze into the mounts rather than clip.
2. The electrics for the rear window de-mister are routed along the same cable tidy run that the wiper tube runs. It took me a few moments to realise the wiring loom actually contained the black feeder tube.
3. The tube easily plugged back together and it took a little force to get them to snap together again. I can only assume the whole issue was due to the pipe being frozen. We'e had some chilly mornings of late in the UK.
4. Push the fascia back onto the lugs and push along the whole plastic fascia to make sure the 6 lugs are back into their mounts.
5. Job done.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM

http://gallery.me.com/jcspam/100011

Image 972: The lug retention holes
973: The lugs on the fascia
974: The fascia removed
975: The wiring and tube loom exposed after removing fascia
977: The tube as I found it, undone.
978: Squeezed and clicked back together...Fixed.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Nice job and nice post. Thanks for the pix!
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Thanks guys for showing the way here. I've been blighted by this fault for ages, each time the car goes in for a service I ask them to have a look and it seems to sort it for a day or two.

This time I've fixed it myself and have added some electrical insulation tape too, just for good measure. Total time 2 mins!! It was booked in to go to the dealer who told me it'd take 4 hours. Do they get paid by BMW for warranty work?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Dr Jim & his Bim

Mein Auto: BMW 323i 1999 2004 X3 2.1
Rear window Floor Wet - Leak -solved ?!

Thanks -it's not what I was looking for but it was most helpful -so here is some additional information for all of you.
I have spent a fortune in time and money ($6000) trying to determine and fix a floor leak on the passenger side of a 2004 X3. Replaced almost every bit of interior carpeting, pano roof& gasket windshield etc etc goes on and on. The leak we, finely found, was the plastic corrugated tube for this washer. It apparently goes from the reservoir and a VDO dedicated pump –into a wiring harness up and through the fire wall down under the dash and electronic modules and the along the transmission hump under the rug toward the rear seat along the shaft tunnel , thence up and over the hump along the left drivers side rear seat front edge , up along the rear door frame -into the back trunk compartment -up the rear frame column to the hinge area –through a rubber corrugated guide tube then into the back hatch door along the top edge to the spray nozzle. I think! I have not found the actual leak yet (have not taken all the carpets back out as of this moment but I now (thanks to the leads I picked up here) that the pipe is cracked or separated between the passenger seat and the transmission hump siphoning a full liter of windshield washer fluid into the floor –under the rug and insulating foam to the floor pan. Apparently every time I fill the reservoir (or the service shop tops it off) and I then use the sprayer to wash the rear window-the flow starts a the siphon action and it drains the reservoir and fills my foot well –either front or back depending on angle when I park the car. !
I hope this is mission accomplished with this issue!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
For the wagons ( E39) how does this hose goe up into the rear nozzle and how are you able to get to the inside ( the back of) of the nozzle?