Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
Need Advice on replacement parts Tie Rod Ends / Power Steering Pump / Fuel Pump

The local shop says I have more troubles than I originaly thought? Could somebody shed some light on what should be priority and am I overpaying for these services? Is it possible I should just save some $$$ and attempt these repairs myself?

The fuel pump is whinning $250? is this something I can do? The connectors before and after the pump look forien to me and probably require a special tool I am guessing?

The power steering pump has a small leak and when it sucks in air it is very hard to turn and whines real loud making the fluid super frothy but eventualy the vacume takes over and it works just fine , the local shop wants $358 out the door for aftermarket pump , belt, fluids, and labor? Sheesh seems high????

The tie rod ends are worn and the car shakes a bit at higher speeds, say like around 60 mph it has a wobble nothing to terrible but could possibly not be safe? The local shop wants $315 for the tie rod ends and labor , also seems high?

It sounds like maybe for a thousand I could get them to do all three repairs but if I can save a few hundred bucks obviously its worth 2 or 3 days of work to me to just do it myslef. I am hoping somebody could shed some light on what I may be getting into and would I be overpaying for these repairs? Or is it worth not having the hassel and just let the local shop do it ? I am really torn on this I usualy do most of my own repairs but I have no previous knowledge or expierence working on this vehicle , thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
the tie rod quote a;so includes alignment or it should.

fuel pump is easy, i did it in my driveway with some spare 3/8" hose but the price does sound right

power steering pump, sounds about right i never attempted that one
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM

alright great thanks for the advice so I will get the tie rods done with alignment and the power steering pump done at the local shop. I will do the fuel pump myself , so what about all the extra stuff under there and the strange looking clamps? Should I just use standard hose clamps and get rid of anything else that is not the fuel pump itself? thanks again .>>S
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 AM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325Eblue View Post
alright great thanks for the advice so I will get the tie rods done with alignment and the power steering pump done at the local shop. I will do the fuel pump myself , so what about all the extra stuff under there and the strange looking clamps? Should I just use standard hose clamps and get rid of anything else that is not the fuel pump itself? thanks again .>>S
You could replace the tie rods and just mark where your old ones threaded up to, and replicate with the new ones. Of course have it aligned afterwards so your not scrubbing tires. Route the fuel pump hoses just as they are, replace the clamps as you go, also replace your fuel filter while your at it. The power steering pump is pretty easy to do but can be a pain because the hoses can be fun to break free from the pump, I'd let the shop do it. I'd prolly also have them flush the rack and lines while your at it to prevent contaminated fluid from wrecking your new pump.

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman271 View Post
You could replace the tie rods and just mark where your old ones threaded up to, and replicate with the new ones. Of course have it aligned afterwards so your not scrubbing tires.
when i did my inner and outers, the new ones were longer so my counting thread plan fail miserably. almost epic failure realm. but theres nothing wrong with changing them and doing a "broomstick" alignment until you can get it to a shop to get a true alignment.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM

alright awesome the fuel pump I can handle then, I just changed the fuel filter that was a little tricky believe it or not. I will also change the in tank transfer pump but I need not worry about any relays or fuel pressure reg? The shop has come down a little in price so yes I will let them do the power steering pump for about $300 and the tie rods are gonna be like $275 not to bad I will do the tie rods this pay check and the pump 2 weeks after that. Its amazing that I dont really feel much feedback out of the front end for having such worn tie rod ends? I know they are original so yes 27 years is eough for one set of tie rod ends but the car is not acting horrible??? maybe I just dont know how smooth she is supposed to be LOL Thanks again tie rod ends tommorrow and I will order the walbro pumps YEAH !!!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 PM

completely original one owner before me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02182013320.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	363195   Click image for larger version

Name:	02182013321.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	363196   Click image for larger version

Name:	02182013322.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	363197  
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
livin large

i have bad tie rods in my subby and my ford work van. you dont really notice it. theres a quick delay from "loose" steering, or the play you get in the wheel when driving straight and you turn the wheel alil but the car still goes straight.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
the tie rod quote a;so includes alignment or it should.

fuel pump is easy, i did it in my driveway with some spare 3/8" hose but the price does sound right

power steering pump, sounds about right i never attempted that one
Yep well it should have been included in the quote but it was not surprise surprise a place I been going to for ten years and have spent thousands over that time sheesh guess they felt it neccessary to just stick it to me for the extra $79 for alingment plus tax plus shop fees so the toal was like a hundred bucks more than I thought well I did not expect that nor did I have the money so I walked home today LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Please use punctuation...
I cannot read what you are trying to imply
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
did they give you a written estimate

Hey did they give you some thing to sign before they started working on your car .I know my estimates only allow a 10% increase in the final bill without approval of the owner of the vehicle .So if they told you it wold cost x amount then added on some other charges for work you didn't agree to pay extra for in most places (not positive about FL )it's illegal and you only have to pay for the work you agreed to pay for.I can't believe none of the empolyees /Mgr offered to give you a ride home .What a bunch of of ^5s#@!eZ .

Last edited by toybuilder; 02-26-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM

I read the paperwork over again it says at the bottom of the work order they would advise me on the alignment. I just assumed it was included, I still have not picked up the car. They said they got it as close as possible butreccomend an alignment LOL I did not ask for a ride home I was just really frustrated with the reception lady saying things like we gotta pay our guys you know and the machine costs 30K and if you wanted a full diagnostic its $42.50 I am like whatever this whole thing started with changin the V-belt for water pump and ALT. The shop suggested the tie rod ends and having the rear brake system changed out becuase the calipers are locked? I tested the calipers with my hands while my kids pumped the brake pedal car runnning tires off and the squeeze and release. I really had no problems wiht the steering but maybe I just thought it was an '86 and this is normal IDNK whatever the case maybe the work order that did not require signature was about $318 no its over $400 with alignment and tax major bummer Sheesh Oh well gues I learned my lesson never thought I would need to be worried I ahve been going there for ten years WOW
Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
That Bites

First I'd look for a place that specializes in BMWs or German cars.Their hourly rate my be more but since they're more likely to have experience working on cars like yours they'll be more likely to get it right the first time . Plus most shops will work with you to keep the car going while you get it all sorted out .IE help you make a list of what needs to be done and the best order to do it in.Try BMWCCA maybe somebody knows a good local shop.The place you take your Honda is NOT the place for your BMW.PS even if you didn't ask I still would have offered to give you a ride, then I wouldn't have changed the bill without telling either.