Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
Sue the cell phone company he has. It's their fault he's on the phone and caused the accident. Then you can be the burnt coffee man of Cell phone law suit.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
dont go for 2001 , a lot of bugs , was there
take 2002-2003 Cam

Last edited by champaign777; 02-25-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540I/6 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
Sue the cell phone company he has. It's their fault he's on the phone and caused the accident. Then you can be the burnt coffee man of Cell phone law suit.
Lol. I know your joking but the cell phone company did not force the E39 destroying Mazda driver to talk on the phone while operating a vehicle. Studies have shown that individuals who do not use a hands free headset are as attentive as those under the influence of alcohol. IMO I would use this as leverage to recover damages and costs of the accident. If an individual can hold out with insurance companies the court will likely award punitive (punishment) and compensatory damages for negligent operation of a motor vehicle which resulted in a collision between two vehicles.

CN90, don't leave man. I've used a multitude of DIY tutorials that were either started by you or largely contributed to by you. THANK YOU.

Try http://www.swapride.com . Except this time get a 540I/6, please.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM
stevers

Send a message via Skype™ to steve123
Mein Auto: 528i
Cam, So sorry to hear of your misfortune glad you are ok. It would be such a terrible thing to have to walk away from your e39 altogether. I have followed your DIYs especially the CCV replacementand others. You have been so helpful. I was wondering if you got my coffee cup holder offer as of recently, I guess it was too late if your not going to get the car fixed, but still stands if you do...

Hate to see you go, perhaps you'll find another elsewhere if necessary. I have 138,xxx miles and often wonder what I would do, after putting 1,000s of dollars and countless hrs in keeping her runnin. One thing you might check out is searchtempestdotcom. Put your zip code in, and the model you are looking at. It will bring up the cars for sale in many states simultaneous from CL and perhaps autotrader, and used dealers too. Just thought if you haven't tried it, you could look into it. Perhaps a nice sunny FL car, with low miles, then drive her home. I see some great deals for 5,000-6,000 bucks occasionally around 100k miles. I plan to definitely grab another when the time comes. I now feel I know these machines inside and out because of you and and a few others and can keep them going with preventative maintenance.

Good luck on your decision, and hope to see you staying on here at bimmerfest...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Manual E39

Cn90 here is one on CL, that is local.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 8.33.44 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	363709  
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Sorry to hear that, and appreciated your help in the e39 community, hope you can find a good e39 replacement, we cannot afford to lose you.

Hope the rest of the folks in this community can reach out to help you get another e39.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Get a 530-5 speed sport. You think a 528 is a refined machine, you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
CN90

You are garnering a lot of support for staying on the board. I even went by a local Honda dealer over the weekend to look at a 2003 530 with only 48,000 miles (non-sport with auto). It showed normal wear/tear and would be a good candidate for somebody interested in tackling some of the low hanging fruit knowing that nothing has to be done right now.

Whatever you do just let us know. It is good to know where comrades are headed.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Question for the "Salvage Title" gurus:

If I get a check from the Ins Co. (for replacement value) and keep the car....
Does that mean the Title is now "Salvaged"?

In other words, who has the authority to assign the "Salvage Title": is it the Ins. Co. or the State or the owner?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I think the process is something like this:
The owner takes care of fixing the car (if it's fixable). Then it goes through a State inspection facility, which will assess if the car is road worthy or not. If it passes - it will have a tag associated that has the label "Salvaged title".

Maybe I am wrong, but this is how I think it works.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
when my wifes dart swinger was totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post

In other words, who has the authority to assign the "Salvage Title": is it the Ins. Co. or the State or the owner?
a title was issued to us showing salvaged
car still could continunued to be driven. CT does not have inspections except for cars transferred from other State.Each state could be different.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i
Quote:

It varies from state to state, but typically as long as the title does not transfer to the ins co. (which it usually does not) then the title won't be branded as salvage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540iA M-Sport
My previous Car was totaled after a hail storm. I took the check and drove the car until the wheels fell off. I had the title and it did not have to be re-titled as salvaged.

2003 BMW 540i A M-Sport with factory Navigation and CD changer; winter package
1997 Toyota Landcruiser 40th anniversary edition

~split personality~
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5sp - 189K mi
You know your car inside and out. It's as well maintained and reliable as an e39 can be, which is worth a lot. If you confirm that the alignment is good, I would argue strongly for keeping it. The 1998 528i with it's cast iron block and manual transmission may be the most trouble free and long lasting of the e39s. (That's one of the reasons I love mine). Oh, and thanks for all the DIYs. You've saved me a boatload of money and aggravation. From a purely selfish point of view I'd hate to see the end of CN90 posts.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM

I took the car back from the body shop #1, which estimated the repair to be $5,700! Based on this estimate Ins Co. "totaled the car".
I called the Adjuster and told him it is "total" in your book, but not my book.
The guy did not like what I said......because I can tell that in 99% of the cases, the customers always take the bait (offer by Ins Co to pay $4,700 and you simply walk away).

I need to keep the car for 4 reasons:

1. I need transportation.

2. This car is meticulously maintained, basically back to Stage zero mechanically speaking.
The accident did NOT affect the alignment or anything serious. I will post more photos later.

3. Body shop #2 can do similar repair for much less, and I should come out ahead financially.

4. I hate shopping for cars, it is pain, especially when you only look at 2002-03 530i with 5-sp + sports package (this week....I was looking for those years), there are only 5-10 for sales in the US.
Plus the travelling cost, test drive and what if you don't want to buy the car, do you fly back home etc. etc.?

I took the car back and drove it to another body shop #2 (father-son local business, good people).
They will get me a good trunk lid from local junkyard.
I will supply him tail light from ebay.
Total will be $900. I will pay him cash, hey he likes cash.

Then I will let me attorney deal with the Ins Co., now they will have to re-evaluate the offer of $4,700 (value of the car that they say is worth); because I have a whole bunch of receipts of all DIYs that I do over the years. With $4700 offered by the Ins Co. there is no way I can buy another E39 with the same condition.
Over the last 6 years, I spend some $6K on parts (labor was mine). So I hope to recover some of that cost.

Life is a fight, we don't go down without a fight, especially with Ins Co.

Last edited by cn90; 02-26-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Now that sound more like it!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540iA M-Sport
I went back and forth with my insurance and was able to negotiate double their initial offer. Don't take the first offer.

Glad to hear that you'll be around. Your DIYs are gold!

2003 BMW 540i A M-Sport with factory Navigation and CD changer; winter package
1997 Toyota Landcruiser 40th anniversary edition

~split personality~
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
sounds like a plan

Quote:
I took the car back from the body shop #1, which estimated the repair to be $5,700! Based on this estimate Ins Co. "totaled the car".
The guy did not like what I said......because I can tell that in 99% of the cases, the customers always take the bait (offer by Ins Co to pay $4,700 and you simply walk away).

2. This car is meticulously maintained, basically back to Stage zero mechanically speaking.
The accident did NOT affect the alignment or anything serious. I will post more photos later.

3. Body shop #2 can do similar repair for much less, and I should come out ahead financially.

4. I hate shopping for cars, it is pain, especially when you only look at 2002-03 530i with 5-sp + sports package (this week....I was looking for those years), there are only 5-10 for sales in the US.
Plus the travelling cost, test drive and what if you don't want to buy the car, do you fly back home etc. etc.?

I took the car back and drove it to another body shop #2 (father-son local business, good people).

Then I will let me attorney deal with the Ins Co., now they will have to re-evaluate the offer of $4,700 (value of the car that they say is worth); because I have a whole bunch of receipts of all DIYs that I do over the years. With $4700 offered by the Ins Co. there is no way I can buy another E39 with the same condition.
Over the last 6 years, I spend some $6K on parts (labor was mine). So I hope to recover some of that cost.

You keep your car it is a know quantity & you love it.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Quote:

Yes, the title will reflect "Salvage" or "Reconstructed" (in PA) or some designation that it has been totaled. Also, in PA it is required that a reconstructed vehicle get a one-time "enhanced" inspection ($125), in addition to regular safety inspection, before a title will be issued. This is a much more detailed, in-depth inspection of suspension as well as other items that are not looked at during a routine annual safety inspection.

Be aware,also, that if the car gets totaled again, my insurance co said that the book value will be reduced by 20%.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
I do know it is possible to have a vehicle titled to an insurance company and not have a salvage title in Nebraska.

There is a 540i wagon for sale here in Lincoln. Run an autocheck/carfax, it says titled to an insurance company, but not a salvage title. Did a google search using the VIN, it was listed at the Copart in Greenwood, NE with a smashed front end. I'm not sure how the title was washed, but I guess anything is possible.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540iT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by eohagan View Post
fix!

this was puled out and massaged back into shape, not chopped and welded!
Ummmm, you mean bondo? lol
Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 530i manual, 335d
Insurance

Quote:

I think your on the right track. It will be much easier to get a decent repair for less than the insurance company will pay to fix your car. Justifying additional money for parts and repairs above book value can be a real challenge. I would be glad to show you the difference in the 530 manual if you ever get to Lincoln.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i, 2001 325i
Quote:

In New York, there is no salvage title issued if the car is over 10 years old.

This happened to me with my 1999 528i. The adjuster and I negotiated a payout based upon condition and features/options, and he got a salvage bid. I had the choice of taking the total payout and walking away, or taking the total minus the salvage bid ($1250), and keeping the car. I did that and fixed it. Car was great until my son totalled it this past summer. That ti e I took the $$$ and bought an 02 530i.

Good luck with yours, and as has been said, thanks for sharing your knowledge...
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM

Car is in body shop B, they are pulling the slightly damaged area using their pulling machine.
A bit of Bondo lol.
We got lucky, the body shop found a trunk lid from the car same, same color @ local junk yard!
They will prime it today and hopefully I have my Black Hawk back in a few days.

I will post photos of before vs after (including bondo lol).
I think it will come out as good as photo posted by "eohagan" above.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Thanks "Studawg" for the nice photo after Bondo fix LOL.

I decided to keep the car, it is a "known devil vs unknown devil."

Since I got the car back from the body shop, I realize how "priceless" it is.
It drives like a dream (front and rear suspension overhaul done recently).
Engine runs smooth (I have to turn the radio off to hear the engine).
As most of you guys know, this car has been brought back to "Stage zero", virtually all wear-and-tear items have been replaced over the last 6 years.

The body shop B did a good job and charged me 900 bones (vs 5800 bones estimate from body shop A).

Here are photos during the repair job and the final product, they did a very decent job:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW20130201-06.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	365213   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW20130201-07.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	365214   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW20130201-08.JPG
Views:	198