Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: bmw m5
2007 m5 Transmission Malfunction

Driving normal speed on the freeway today and all of a sudden my transmission malfunction light comes on and the computer says: " transmission malfunction, acceleration limited, continue driving possible, take to nearest dealer..." WTF.... What is wrong with my car.. had no prior transmission issues.. 2007 BMW M5 58,000 miles. Please help
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
Don't go to the dealer! I would go to a local Indy shop and have them pull the codes. Then you will know where to begin. Check out my thread on smg and clutch solved. Was able to fix problem. I had a smg unit pressure undershoot and a clutch activation deviation code stored . Car would kick itself into neutral. If u tell me the codes I may be able to help. Just stay away from the dealer. They are salivating already. Even if you can't do the work yourself t is possible to fix way cheaper than going to the dealer.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: M5 sedan auto
2006 M5 auto transfer issues

Hi,

Driving back from car wash, 46,000KM, switching from 3 to 2 gear, pop, transmission warning came up. Drove home, no problems. Parked car, that was the end. BMW dealer wants to change transmission, cluch plates... Everything under the car. Might as well change my tires. Oops they are still new! Writing to BMW Stuttgart and see what they can do. 1st estimate was $18k, 2nd was $10k. Can only get better.

Good luck. I'm also searching for answers. How transmission craps out in these conditions is unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackay13 View Post
Driving normal speed on the freeway today and all of a sudden my transmission malfunction light comes on and the computer says: " transmission malfunction, acceleration limited, continue driving possible, take to nearest dealer..." WTF.... What is wrong with my car.. had no prior transmission issues.. 2007 BMW M5 58,000 miles. Please help
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: M5
Re: 2007 m5 Transmission Malfunction

2006 m5 battery has went completely dead and has been jumpstarted the issue is the transmission is stalling motor when it needs to ****.....help!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM

Jjmax. I'm thinking your throw out bearing had stuck then broke loose causing the pop and then trans malfunction light. Very. Common. The throwout bearings get very dry and start to stick over time. Check out my.thread on smg and trans malfunction solved.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 PM

Marrissahelper can you give me anymore details. Are you saying the clutch won't disengage at all??
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Doesn't have an actual clutch pedal

Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 PM

2006 M5 is the car. I was wondering if the battery going dead could have anything to do with the transmission acting up.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 PM

It is definitely possible. you should start with a fresh battery if you know its dying. low or high voltage will piss these cars off. On my 06 M5 at 48,000 miles the voltage regulator went bad. Voltage would spike, I had all kinds of transmission errors as well as radio would turn off and abs light would come into. $150 part. Took an hour to replace and no more issues. Do you hear the electric smg motor run when u try to start the car? loud whining noise when you first open the driver door. The clutch won't disengage if the pump isn't priming correctly.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Yeah thanks man,I will check these things out and let ya know. I am helping my friend out who is very frustrated and is about to take the M5 as is and her A4 to an dealership and trade them in. Feel she will get screwed over bad with the BMW.