Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Mein Auto: bmw
Alpina B3 Flash for TCU

Alpina B3 Flash DIY using WinKFP

DIY Guide to Flash Alpina B3 Flash:

************************************************** **********************************
WARNING...If you dont know what your doing, dont be brave and blindly go into this advanced flashing of software into the TCU module.. If you mess up you can easily brick your tranny module and you will find yourself towing the car to the dealer and looking like a fool. If your not too confident in doing this, either pay someone or just do without it.....WinKFP is a very dangerous tool but yet its awesome and in terms of coding its pretty advanced.. Proceed after reading this warning if you choose to do so...

************************************************** **********************************

This flash will make the transmission run smoother, gear change will be more precise and crisp, rev match downshift is unbelievable, rev limiter is increased and overall driveability is increased. You will have a new indicator for gear selection in D mode which display D1, D2, D3 ,D4, D5 and in DS mode you will see S1, S2, S3, S4, S5 and the same for the M mode. This single flash will make the car change gears more refined and crisp. You will no longer feel the lurching when the tranny shifts and it goes through the gears without even the slightest hesitation. It is indeed a must have flash if you own a E9x with a N54 engine...

This Alpina TCU flash works for model years 3/07 till present N54 engine only. If your production date is before 3/07, your out of luck and cant flash your car! Before you attempt this you should have some knowledge in coding and setting software. You need to confirm INPA software is working and communicating with car. If you dont have INPA communicating, dont move beyond this point and go back and do some more research on getting it to work.. There are plenty of DIY guides for setting up INPA, Ediabas, NCSexpert and WinKFP.

You can purchase a proven cable that works...Please dont ask will this one work as it is cheaper if so.. Buy one that is proven!
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

ONE NOTE::: Please no PMs on how to set it up. You have to do some work yourself..

Once you have configured your laptop properly, you need to download Spdaten at least 50.3 the full version for E89 chassis . Dont download the lite versions as it doesnt have the necessary files needed for flashing modules. There are torrent links around...Look for them! The E89 Spdaten needs to be imported to WinKFP. There are PDFs showing how to get this done, do a search! Once it correctly imported, then you may start the flash using Winkpf.

Here is spdaten 53.0 for this flash...Its not the complete spdaten but this link will have the neccessary data to do the alpina flash

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb0bm1he0j7hto9/53.0.rar

Here we go:

-Make sure your battery is good if not get a battery charger

-Open drivers door and turn ignition ON (cluster guage on)

-connect cable to obd connector of car

-Load Winkpf software

-Press (F1) comfort mode

-Press (F3) Update ZUSB

-Choose ECU GKE215

-Press (F2) Choose ZUSB

-Choose ECU GKE215 and next to it there will be ZB-Numbers..Find 7615835

-Click ok

-If you have done it correctly so far you will see at the top Assembly Identification number 7615835 and it will automatically reference the magical Alpina B3 TCU flash software 7591971

-Press (F4) Enter VIN ( make sure you double check you have entered the correct VIN numbers)

-click ok

-Press DONE (F8)

-Press (F3) Program

-Pop up window will say you can code the ECU 63 more times, click ok

-Flashing begins and you will have to wait till it reaches 100%

-once it reaches 100% it will pop up again saying you have 62 more times to program the ECU, click ok

-Programming again starts, wait until this reaches 100%

-If everything is done correctly, then you will get a pop up screen saying programming done, click ok

-Shut off car by taking key out. Lock car with key, wait 5 minutes and start the car..If everything works correctly you will not
have any warning signs or check engine lights...Enjoy your newly transformed AT Alpina B3 software

*****Alpina B3 flash Part II: DIY for NOT-working paddles shifters after flash:

The Alpina B3 flash has been a huge success so far for performance gains as well as fixing many issues that has plagued the N54 platform for years. It has undoubtedly given the performance gains in which everyone could enjoy. The only minor glitch during the flashing was on new model years in which once the car is flashed the paddle shifters now longer worked, unlike the earlier build model years which didn't exhibit this. This was quite bothersome to me so I had to find a fix as it seemed unthinkable it wouldn't work. Here is your solution!

You guys need to use NCSexpert and at least 49.3 spdaten loaded up to both NCSexpert and Ediabas. There are tons of literature on this so do a search on it. If you not comfortable doing this or the actual coding, you can find a local coder and pay to have this coded....

Warning: If you dont have at least Spdaten 49.3 updated correctly after doing this coding the car will be Dead and show a gear warning on cluster when you try to get the paddle shifter to work..

************************************************** ****************************************
Here is what you do:

0-Start ignition with cluster lights on
1-Load NCSexpert
2-File Use EXPERTMODE click ok
3-(F1) Vin/ZCS/FA
4-(F3) SG ausw
5-Choose E89 chassis click ok
6-Choose CAS click ok
7-(F6) Back
8-(F4) Read ECU and pick EGS module click ok
9-wait till nettodat file pops up and then close it out
10-Press F3 (execute JOB)
11-After it says coding ended your done!
12-Close out NCSexpert

At this point 3 things can happen:

**A)There are no errors and the car starts fine and the paddle shifters are working and your happy!

**B)The car starts but then when you drive off, the shifting of gears are all screwy and changing correctly.

**C)The car starts but you get the dreaded GEAR error and it wont even go into drive at all..

If you have either B or C then you issue is the update of the Spdaten was incorrectly done...Go back and check installation and start again

Last edited by cn555ic; 07-22-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
This is awesome and thanks for sharing this to everyone. You rock.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
cn555ic,

This sounds interesting, but please forgive my ignorance. What exactly the flash does to the car? Is it limited to the E8x / E9x series?

JEG23
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG23 View Post
cn555ic,

This sounds interesting, but please forgive my ignorance. What exactly the flash does to the car? Is it limited to the E8x / E9x series?

JEG23
....This flash will make the transmission run smoother, gear change will be more precise and crisp, rev match downshift is unbelievable, rev limiter is increased and overall driveability is increased. The tranny is now more performance calibrated but yet in regular drive mode it smooth as silk, but when you use the S mode or M mode, thats where the flash shines beyond belief!!!! You will have a new indicator for gear selection in D mode which display D1, D2, D3 ,D4, D5 and in DS mode you will see S1, S2, S3, S4, S5 and the same for the M mode. This single flash will make the car change gears more refined and crisp. You will no longer feel the lurching when the tranny shifts and it goes through the gears without even the slightest hesitation. It is indeed a must have flash if you own a E9x with N54 engine....I spoke to shawn about this for the F series when a Alpina version edition comes out for your chasiss, u guys can look into it...WHat needs to be done is basically flash the EGS unit with complete software but it requires to find the exact files that match for the Alpina version it was intended for..
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Sweet - thanks so much for the info, what version of WinKFP are you using?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Sweet - thanks so much for the info, what version of WinKFP are you using?
I am using the latest version from Standard Tools 2.12
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM

One last question - how long did the update take for the TCU - some of the modules can take a long time to update.

Thanks
Rob
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
One last question - how long did the update take for the TCU - some of the modules can take a long time to update.

Thanks
Rob
12 minutes from start to finish. This is something you shouldnt even think about seriously...DO it..ITs that much of a difference RoB

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-21-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Not thinking about it, just getting ready, got standard tools all setup and imported full v48 daten, so think I am ready to go (haven't coded anything in about a year, so was behind on versions!)

Wish me luck, will probably try it tomorrow night - cant wait, been dreaming about that transmission refashioned for 5 years!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: .
Awesome find - you BB guys knocked this out quick.

Been getting tons of PM's about getting this installed. Looks like I'll be using WinKFP more than when the E60 crowd discovered that CGATE software could be updated to run CIC controllers with CAPPL, haha.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i M-Sport
wish I could do this to my 8-speed F10
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Not thinking about it, just getting ready, got standard tools all setup and imported full v48 daten, so think I am ready to go (haven't coded anything in about a year, so was behind on versions!)

Wish me luck, will probably try it tomorrow night - cant wait, been dreaming about that transmission refashioned for 5 years!
You will be quite happy with the results. I have had an issue with it for a while also. This is beyond a fix, but an upgrade for sure. Night and day differences will be felt. Please report back on your results with some feedback
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 'X3M'
You really rock for posting this. Thank you!

Hopefully I don't end up getting disappointed. I'll have to see if I'm able to do this considering my setup is totally custom. I run an N54 but my chassis date is 01/07 and an E83 and then the trans and mechatronics are from an E60 2008 535xi.

God I'm sick of how complicated BMW's electronics have gotten. Engine swaps used to be a cake walk.
Prototype E83 2007 Monaco 'X3M' | N54T Swap | Gruppe M CF CAI | VRSF CP & DPs | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" Piping w/X-Pipe | E92 M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" 310M | Michelin PSS 275/305 | F10 M5 & F30 ///M Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Sways | BMW Performance Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom BMW ///M Body Treatment | CF Trim | BMW Performance Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Performance SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by C///M View Post
You really rock for posting this. Thank you!

Hopefully I don't end up getting disappointed. I'll have to see if I'm able to do this considering my setup is totally custom. I run an N54 but my chassis date is 01/07 and an E83 and then the trans and mechatronics are from an E60 2008 535xi.

God I'm sick of how complicated BMW's electronics have gotten. Engine swaps used to be a cake walk.
3/07 production date is the cutoff anything earlier and your on the outside looking in. The mechatronics supposedly is different in the tranny.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 'X3M'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
3/07 production date is the cutoff anything earlier and your on the outside looking in. The mechatronics supposedly is different in the tranny.
But the mechatronics and my trans are from 2008, so no problem there and my DME is later as well. I just didn't know if there would be any issue since my chassis is an 01/07 and if it would have an effect on the coding modules.
Prototype E83 2007 Monaco 'X3M' | N54T Swap | Gruppe M CF CAI | VRSF CP & DPs | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" Piping w/X-Pipe | E92 M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" 310M | Michelin PSS 275/305 | F10 M5 & F30 ///M Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Sways | BMW Performance Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom BMW ///M Body Treatment | CF Trim | BMW Performance Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Performance SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by C///M View Post
But the mechatronics and my trans are from 2008, so no problem there and my DME is later as well. I just didn't know if there would be any issue since my chassis is an 01/07 and if it would have an effect on the coding modules.
Can try if it doesnt work it wont allow you to flash...Even if it does and doesnt work just flash it back to old assembly line software
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Breaking NEWS!!!!! Looks like I found a way to fix paddle shifters for ALL late MODELS now!!!!!! It works!

Last edited by cn555ic; 02-23-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Breaking NEWS!!!!! Looks like I found a way to fix paddle shifters for ALL late MODELS now!!!!!! It works!
Nice work!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Awesome. You mean we could do this for all the E9x built after 03/2007? Including F30?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
hope this is available for F series
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Awesome. You mean we could do this for all the E9x built after 03/2007? Including F30?
At the moment only E-series N54 AT only
Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
At the moment only E-series N54 AT only
You should extend your research into next level where we could flash this for all engines.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
You should extend your research into next level where we could flash this for all engines.
If Alpina did not make a special edition for the platform being used by that specific engine, then it is not possible...There is no ALpina B3 N55 that was in production.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Wow, this is very interesting. Looks like you've got this working for the N55 now, as well, per other postings? Ever since I've gotten the BMW PPK V1 the shifts seem more abrupt, especially in DS mode. Would this coding effect that programming in any way that you know of? Is that tach issue fixed? I may just have to make the trip to NY to get this and some other coding done. Thanks!

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
Wow, this is very interesting. Looks like you've got this working for the N55 now, as well, per other postings? Ever since I've gotten the BMW PPK V1 the shifts seem more abrupt, especially in DS mode. Would this coding effect that programming in any way that you know of? Is that tach issue fixed? I may just have to make the trip to NY to get this and some other coding done. Thanks!
Still working through the glitch with tach...The Alpina B4 flash seems to be working exactly the same as the N54 in terms of smooth, crisp gear change...Only issue like I stated is the tach which hopefully I can get it working...Keep you guys posted..Anyone with N54 AT should not hesitate to get this flash to your car...It makes it so much more refined.