Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: E66
Remove Door Panel to Replace Driver's Mirror?

An unnamed family member snapped the driver's mirror off my 2006 750i E65. This is the non-folding variety. The bracket is just soft pot metal, designed to smithereen when pushed. So it's remove and replace time.

The replacement unit arrives today from http://www.tomkinsonbmwparts.com/. TIS Spaghetti is gone for this repair, so better to ask:

Do I have to remove the whole interior door panel in order to liberate the triangular trim covering the mirror's mounting bolts? Or is that bit unanchored behind the door trim and will move aside?
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 06 530i
Yes! You will have to remove the trim panel if you want to remove the
Mirror from the door..
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Door panel off, then use a prying tool to remove that black piece that has the door speaker cover on it. You will be able to take off the housing then.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: E66
Thanks, got it done today. Window down, remove jack, disconnect battery, undo three torx bolts (why two torx sizes?) and a screw behind caps in the panel (remove square bolt hide flaps with an old credit card), pull panel away from the bottom then sides, pull panel away from top clips, support panel on a plastic bin and let hang open away from door held by loop of rope (no reason to remove completely). Speaker trim then just comes away without prying. Two mirror bolts easily found plus one hidden behind rubber flashing which pulled aside easily. Snip two cable ties holding control wires, remove connector from junction box and pull it through/out with mirror.

Mount new mirror assembly, reverse all the above. New assembly did not have body cover. Was able to pull original cover off the old mirror without removing glass and push fit on new; had thick silicon on the toothed prongs.

Hook up battery, replace jack, reset clock and calendar. All went without a hitch and took just over an hour (and I'm slow). Glad it's done.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Ultimate745i

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
^^^^ Way to post an update with solid instructions! Good job!