Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: Bicycle
Need help with 2013 X3, packages, options, and pricing!

My mom is interested in getting an SUV. Initially, it was between the Audi Q5, BMW X3, or the Lexus RX 350. We test drove all 3, and now she narrowed it down to BMW, and the Lexus.

First of all, I read somewhere that the 2014 X3 was about to be released soon (April/May this year). Is it worth waiting for this? Either to go for the 2014 model, or anticipate any price reductions in the current 2013 model which might overlap with the entry of the 2014 model?

Or are they better off just getting a 2013 X3 right now?

As far as specs, my mom will be driving the car, so speed is not much of an issue. But comfort is, and ease of drive is.

So far, this is how we configured it from the website.

BMW X3 28i: 38,850 USD

Exterior: non-metallic white
Interior: black 'nevada' leather
Trim: Fineline Wave Wood Trim

Packages

Convenience Package: 1,300
Premium Package: 3,450
Technology Package: 3,200

Total comes out to: $47,695 (this includes a $895 destination and handling fee)

I got these prices from the BMW USA website. I am assuming these are invoice prices? And that if I buy from a dealer, they wouldn't charge the destination fee (even if they had to order one).

So that would come out to $46,800

I have read from this site, that a good deal is 500 dollars above invoice. So that works out to be 47,300 USD. That is pretax, right? Is there anything I'm missing? Or does this sound about right? We are all going to the dealer again on Saturday, to check out the car again, and see what deal we can get.

A few questions though:

The Technology Package says it contains "rear view camera with top view". But in the options section, it has an added option of "rear view camera" for an additional 400 USD. I thought this was included in the Technology Package? What is the difference?

ALSO: After reading up on this forum, I've read that the Sports Seats are actually very comfortable. Also, I've read that the Dynamic Handling Package is really noticeable. Is it worth the added cost? I know we can only know by testing it out, but just wanted to get the opinions here before we do.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM
warlord with a mom-mobile

Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 1997 C280 Sport
The prices on the BMW site are MSRP. Invoice is something like 8 or 9 % less than MSRP. Other (non BMW) sites can provide you the invoice #'s to work from, such as Edmunds, KBB.com, etc.

Destination and handling fee is never waived, AFAIK.

Rear view camera is part of the tech package, but can also be bought as a stand-alone item. Same item either way.

I bought mine 3 weeks ago and didn't care about the whole model year thing, but others might say to wait, since it's only a couple months. I found them cooperative about pricing, to move the inventory off the lot.

For answers to your other q's I must defer to others.

Retired: 2005 X5 4.4i ... 2002 540i ... 1999 M3 ... 1997 328i ... 1988 535i
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Yes, dealer will charge destination fee. That is a fee that's charged to dealer to cover the cost of transporting the vehicle from the factory to the dealer. It's the same for all BMW's. I assume they average it out over all the vehicles they make/ship.
By the way, even if you do PCD, you still pay the destination fee.
Amount over invoice will vary depending on model demand, how many cars the dealer has on the lot, how close he is to meeting his sales goals, etc. $500 over is a great deal. Generally the dealer will want you to finance through BMWFS to get $500 over. That way they can make money on the "back end".
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: Bicycle
Thanks for the replies. After doing research on Edmunds, I see that on one end, there is the Invoice price, and at the other end, is the MSRP (which is what the bmw usa website quote). A good deal is closer to the invoice price, but according to edmunds, its ok to ask them to sell the car at invoice price too, when negotiating. I found this surprising.

Would there be more room for negotiation if you didn't want to finance the car? Or does this not make much difference?

Actually I just found this link: http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-20/l...e?_s=PM:LIVING

And it says not to mention anything about paying in cash, until after a price is negotiated, and in paper.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Most people use bmwconfig.com to calculate invoice price.
You can ask to buy at invoice but be prepared to get laughed out of the dealership.
I always try to negotiate the price, then talk about financing. I don't know if that's the best way or not.
1998 Z3 2.8L retired