Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330I ZSP
Idrive Service Interval Calculation

How does the service intervavl screen in Idrive calculate your time/distance until replacement/service?

Depending on how you drive brake pads would ware at different rates, does Idrive take this into account or does it just chuck out a pre-programed number, or does it actually use sensors in some places to determine this? Also, how accurate are things like the brake pads/rotors....I've noticed some grinding and squeeking but still have 10,000miles left of them according to idrive.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Different things have different ways of calculating when service is due. Some go strictly by time (e.g., brake fluid flushes), some are more sensor based (e.g., brake pad wear sensors), and some use a formula based on time between services, distance traveled, and various sensors (e.g., oil service indicator). For more details, use the "search" function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8355adam View Post
How does the service intervavl screen in Idrive calculate your time/distance until replacement/service?

Depending on how you drive brake pads would ware at different rates, does Idrive take this into account or does it just chuck out a pre-programed number, or does it actually use sensors in some places to determine this? Also, how accurate are things like the brake pads/rotors....I've noticed some grinding and squeeking but still have 10,000miles left of them according to idrive.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
my idrive's brake estimate is not accurate at all, calls for it when there is plenty of pads left. If you are getting constant squeak sound when braking then they should do a visual inspection on the pad. Worst case is there is the last level of defense of brake sensor wire, which will be cut when the pad is too thin and you will get a brake icon on the dash. However there is only 1 brake sensor per axle (not per tire).
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
my idrive's brake estimate is not accurate at all, calls for it when there is plenty of pads left. If you are getting constant squeak sound when braking then they should do a visual inspection on the pad. Worst case is there is the last level of defense of brake sensor wire, which will be cut when the pad is too thin and you will get a brake icon on the dash. However there is only 1 brake sensor per axle (not per tire).
My rear brake sensor was actually reset at my 30,000 service. It said it was time for a change. I thought this was odd since the fronts usually go first. Sure enough the dealer took me out and showed me the brakes. They had plenty of pad left. They reset everything and it appears to be reading properly now.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330I ZSP
So Idrive normally stays on the conservative side of things? not surprising if the dealers want to make more money.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post
Different things have different ways of calculating when service is due. Some go strictly by time (e.g., brake fluid flushes), some are more sensor based (e.g., brake pad wear sensors).
But the brake pad sensors only kick in when the pads are so low it cuts the sensor wire. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of telling me the remaining mileage. As far as I know, the brake sensors only know when the pads are fully worn.