Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335 / 2014 X-3
Did I tell you about my new battery?

Wow! I got a new battery today at the BMW dealer. The days of swapping batteries are over. Now, they need to be "registered".

1. After the battery is installed, the battery needs to know it's latitude so the battery can compute the rotational speed of the earth at its current location. This takes a few minutes. At the end of this process the battery can determine which way is East and it's stationary velocity. This is necessary before the battery pumps out any electrons.

2. After the battery knows the direction of "East" you need to calibrate the magnetic variation. This was done by bringing the car out into the dealership parking lot and opening the trunk so the battery can take a "sun shot". (At night, just park the car facing south so you can get a "fix" on the North Star).

3. Once you put in the pressure altitude and the total air temperature, the job is done.

4. The new battery is now rocking and rolling.

2008 E-93 335i Convertible (ED) (Keeper)

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Lol
I think the whole concept of registering a new battery is pretty annoying and the technological benefits outweigh the monetary trade offs for most of us. But, BMW engineers are smarter than God, so I won't question the reasons why this is necessary.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
You can still replace your own battery. It's not a terribly difficult job. Then an Indy can do the registration, about a half hour of labor charge usually. Wally World sells an appropriate battery for about $75.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
maybe Boeing should register the batteries in the Dreamliner so they dont catch on fire
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
How does one register the battery? Can it be done by an individual?

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post

Frederic
Yes, with a Bavarian Technic scan tool. Almost a few hundred I think for 3 VINs, and I want to say a little over double that for unlimited VINs. No, I don't have one, but a whole bunch of members here do have one.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
How much did it cost at the dealer?
Was the old battery giving you status that it needs to be changed or are you just doing it as preventive measure?
I am still on original battery 2006 330xi with 138k miles.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post

Frederic

HERE ya go.

And if needed HERE's a R&R DIY.

But how do you know if your battery's bad?

And....is something causing your battery to drain?

Just sayin'

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-22-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 AM

It was $550.

The car had not been driven for two weeks while I was overseas. After driving 5 miles, I shut it down for 15 min. while I went into a store. When I started the car, the clock had dumped the time and the trip odometer reset to zero. I pressed on and parked the car after driving for one hour. The next day, after driving for one hour, I shut the car down with the radio still on. About a min. later, I get a low battery warning. The next day, I shut the car down and left the radio on to see what would happen. In less than 30 seconds, I got a low battery warning. The car always started up OK but I did not want to fool with it and get stranded.

(I have the BT cable but they said it would only work if I was replacing the battery with the same spec. battery. Since I could not find the same spec. battery, I rolled over to the dealer just to get the job done quickly.)

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
Wow! I got a new battery today at the BMW dealer. The days of swapping batteries are over. Now, they need to be "registered".

1. After the battery is installed, the battery needs to know it's latitude so the battery can compute the rotational speed of the earth at its current location. This takes a few minutes. At the end of this process the battery can determine which way is East and it's stationary velocity. This is necessary before the battery pumps out any electrons.

2. After the battery knows the direction of "East" you need to calibrate the magnetic variation. This was done by bringing the car out into the dealership parking lot and opening the trunk so the battery can take a "sun shot". (At night, just park the car facing south so you can get a "fix" on the North Star).

3. Once you put in the pressure altitude and the total air temperature, the job is done.

4. The new battery is now rocking and rolling.
Just wanted to add in step 1 that you must adjust for the current solar calendar as defined by the Mayans.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
It was $550.

The car had not been driven for two weeks while I was overseas. After driving 5 miles, I shut it down for 15 min. while I went into a store. When I started the car, the clock had dumped the time and the trip odometer reset to zero. I pressed on and parked the car after driving for one hour. The next day, after driving for one hour, I shut the car down with the radio still on. About a min. later, I get a low battery warning. The next day, I shut the car down and left the radio on to see what would happen. In less than 30 seconds, I got a low battery warning. The car always started up OK but I did not want to fool with it and get stranded.

(I have the BT cable but they said it would only work if I was replacing the battery with the same spec. battery. Since I could not find the same spec. battery, I rolled over to the dealer just to get the job done quickly.)
Everstart MAXX-94R at Wally World, $75 when I got mine. $45 to have it registered.

Did a little checking, apparently the battery is now the Everstart MAXX H7, now priced at about $120.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Yes, with a Bavarian Technic scan tool. Almost a few hundred I think for 3 VINs, and I want to say a little over double that for unlimited VINs. No, I don't have one, but a whole bunch of members here do have one.
BT only works if you replace it with the exact same Amp/Hour capacity battery.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Hmm, my recently purchased 2006 325i has a battery that was installed 8/17/2012. I know because the previous owner gave me all of the service history for the car.

It was replaced at a Hyundai dealer in Williamsburg Va. where she purchased the car two years old and had all of the cars servicing done. The invoice says "replace battery and retest system". The battery is a BMW battery (it says so on the battery).

The invoice makes no mention of "registering" the battery. When I first got the car, from a salvage dealer, it had been sitting for almost two months, after the branch fell on it and the car was declared a total loss.

It needed to be jump started and then...see my original thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=673663.

To make a long story short the car had a bad fuel pump fuse and sat for a week until I had time to tow it home and fix it.

After replacing the fuse I put the car on a trickle charger for 12 hours and since then it has been fine, including some early morning starts with near zero temperatures.

So, should I assume that the dealer didn't have the battery "registered", should I give a damn? I have read differing opinions on this. I have heard that the system needs to be told that you have a new battery so it will put into place a different charging regimen? Seriously?

Look I don't claim to be a BMW expert, having owned one for all of six weeks, but I know a thing or two about cars and their charging systems. There is something called a voltage regulator that when the voltage in the system drops below a certain voltage, say 13.8 volts (this varies depending on the car in question) the voltage regulator sends a signal to engage the alternator and increases the voltage to operating levels.

So where exactly does this "registering" come into the process?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Yes, you should have the battery registered. Regardless of what knowledge you may have of vehicle charging systems virtually every single thing that happens with your BMW is controlled by a computer. That includes the battery charging system. You can skip registering the battery. The effect will be a shortened battery life.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Why everything has to be so darn complicated with these suckers...I also replaced my battery this week..total $300...here's the good news....I have a 2005 that had the original battery..almost 8 yrs..

Last edited by MADBMWX3; 02-22-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, you should have the battery registered. Regardless of what knowledge you may have of vehicle charging systems virtually every single thing that happens with your BMW is controlled by a computer. That includes the battery charging system. You can skip registering the battery. The effect will be a shortened battery life.
Well, OK, but that didn't answer my question.

How exactly is the charging system going to act differently if it "knows" the battery is new? Is it going to keep charging for some reason, even if system voltage isn't below standards? Why would it do that?

Does anybody know the answer to this question?

I plan on buying some BMW specific diagnostic equipment and software (maybe the BAT one many people here have.) The $50-100 cost of "registering" the battery will be a good down payment towards the thing paying for itself.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX3 View Post
Why everything has to be so darn complicated with these suckers...I also replace my battery this week..total $300...here's the good news....I have a 2005 that had the original battery..almost 8 yrs..
Yeah, the battery in my 2006 was also the original one. How much of the bill was for "registering" the battery?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Well, OK, but that didn't answer my question.

How exactly is the charging system going to act differently if it "knows" the battery is new? Is it going to keep charging for some reason, even if system voltage isn't below standards? Why would it do that?

Does anybody know the answer to this question?

I plan on buying some BMW specific diagnostic equipment and software (maybe the BAT one many people here have.) The $50-100 cost of "registering" the battery will be a good down payment towards the thing paying for itself.
Sorry, I don't write computer code. I don't know the details of how the system does what it does.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Quote:
Yeah, the battery in my 2006 was also the original one. How much of the bill was for "registering" the battery?
Well heck, it was $183 for the battery and $125 "labor" which I know was the install the registering deal...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Sorry, I don't write computer code. I don't know the details of how the system does what it does.
I wasn't asking for computer code. I was asking what "physically" is going on. What is the computer supposed to be doing, based on the age of the battery, that the charging system would do something different than all of the cars I have owned before?

Which is simply engaging the alternator when the system voltage drops below a certain threshold.

It's OK if you don't know. I'm just asking.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I wasn't asking for computer code. I was asking what "physically" is going on. What is the computer supposed to be doing, based on the age of the battery, that the charging system would do something different than all of the cars I have owned before?

Which is simply engaging the alternator when the system voltage drops below a certain threshold.

It's OK if you don't know. I'm just asking.
I came across a pdf some time ago that described how the "Intelligent Battery System" (IBS) functions.

Basically, it continually monitors the state of charge (SOC) and state of health (SOH) of the battery. The SOC is simply the battery voltage. The SOH is calculated by the age of the battery and the charge/discharge cycles it's been subjected to over its lifetime.

It uses this info to make a determination as to when it should divert alternator current to the battery to charge it. It also has the ability to shut down certain modules while the ignition is off to prevent excessive discharge of the battery if it's parked for a long time.

This is probably an over simplification of the system, but hopefully sheds some light.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
I came across a pdf some time ago that described how the "Intelligent Battery System" (IBS) functions.

Basically, it continually monitors the state of charge (SOC) and state of health (SOH) of the battery. The SOC is simply the battery voltage. The SOH is calculated by the age of the battery and the charge/discharge cycles it's been subjected to over its lifetime.

It uses this info to make a determination as to when it should divert alternator current to the battery to charge it. It also has the ability to shut down certain modules while the ignition is off to prevent excessive discharge of the battery if it's parked for a long time.

This is probably an over simplification of the system, but hopefully sheds some light.
That makes sense -- then the system would need to know what type of battery was installed to determine the correct SOH profile -- so this registration process must have codes or parameters that are set identify the battery type (chemistry??) and capacity.

All that said, BMWs comfort and convenience systems seem to use alot of power - even when the car is not running. I see this mentioned in the owners manual in a few places -- and i noticed at the dealership they have chargers connected to some of the brand new cars sitting in the showroom!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
With the new battery is there a more confident sound in starting the engine ?
Doesn't the OEM battery have a magic eye to indicate the health of the battery? Did it show yellow?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcromar View Post
That makes sense -- then the system would need to know what type of battery was installed to determine the correct SOH profile -- so this registration process must have codes or parameters that are set identify the battery type (chemistry??) and capacity.

All that said, BMWs comfort and convenience systems seem to use alot of power - even when the car is not running. I see this mentioned in the owners manual in a few places -- and i noticed at the dealership they have chargers connected to some of the brand new cars sitting in the showroom!
Exactly right. If you change the battery chemistry of Ah rating, you have to re-code the IBS
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
BT only works if you replace it with the exact same Amp/Hour capacity battery.
That is exactly what they told me when I called them up.

Since I had no luck finding an AGM 900 CCA, 90 Ah, 160 RC exact replacement, I gave up and went to the dealer. My fear of getting stuck someplace overcame my deep skepticism of battery "registering".

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)