Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x3 3.0d M Sport
X3 3.0d starting problem

Hi

I have an 06 MY X3 3.0d M sport, which suffered a turbo failure (oil seals, not catastrophic, lots of smoke!) in September last year. After a ridiculous repair estimate, I decided to get the turbo re-manufactured and do the job myself.

In summary, the turbo was removed, remanufactured and refitted. Also, injectors were removed, professionally cleaned (not tested), and re-fitted to original ports. Air inlet system including intercooler was removed, cleaned and re-fitted. Turbo was removed from above.

After re-building and re-connecting the battery, I cranked the engine without injectors connected electrically, as I thought this was the easiest way to get oil pressure before firing up (is this a bad idea?)

After everything was re-connected, the engine would crank but not fire. No warning lights, no mis-fire, no fuel smell or any emissions, nothing.

I bought an OBDII cable and obtaine a copy of the BMW DIS. Initial codes were showing a faulty temperature sensor local to the DPF and a common error (different code) on several glow plugs.

I checked and changed the temperature sensor, that problem was fixed, maybe caused by the amount of oil, smoke and vapour going into the system and standing for a month or two.

I changed all glow plugs, cleared the codes and re-checked, all codes were clear.

I cranked the engine, but again would not fire. I now have the same error showing on all glow plugs (see images below).

I have checked fuses, and the main DDE relay, which is a 3 wire relay under the bonnet in the main controller fuse/relay box. The relay has a signal (brown) wire and 2 main power wires (red). With ignition off am getting 12v to the signal wire and the supply to the relay (red wire 1). With ignition on, I get 12v on both red wires, and the signal wire shows zero volts. This sounds ok, yes?

I have checked everything I can think of or am capable of. The fuel pump is running, but only showing a few bar at the rail (using DIS), even she cranking, I don't know if that is right. It's probably inhibiting fual due to glow plug error.

I have added all screen captures and codes from my last DIS run.

[IMG]/Users/leeslater/Desktop/bmw images/IMG_1707.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]/Users/leeslater/Desktop/bmw images/IMG_1713.JPG[/IMG]

Screen displays;
DDE - 4262 DDE: Glow Plug, Cylinder 6, activation - Open Circuit - Fault currently not present -
DDE - 4252 DDE: Glow plug, cylinder 5, activation........
etc, etc for each plug.
Glow Control unit B1362_D6BSDGSG

[IMG]/Users/leeslater/Desktop/bmw images/IMG_1711.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]/Users/leeslater/Desktop/bmw images/IMG_1708.JPG[/IMG]

Screen displays;
G9999_FSLESEN2 / Message_04

Control unit:
- DDE control unit

Following fault codes are stored for the tested function/component group.

[IMG]/Users/leeslater/Desktop/bmw images/IMG_1709.JPG[/IMG]

Screen shows;
The fault - activation interruption - was stored for all four heater plugs.

Check following possible causes of faults:

- Signal interrupted: terminal 30, continuous positive at pre-heating control unit
- Break in all lines to heater plugs

Any help would be much appreciated, running out of ideas. Next step will be to get it towed in to independant garage for fix

Last edited by Leemonster4rj6; 02-22-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: image loading trouble!
Ads by Google