Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Bent A Strut...

LMAO... and BMW wont cover it because I have H&R lowering springs installed. $1800 in parts + 8 hours labor.

I was wondering why I bottomed out on every curb ramp I drove on and replaced the same wheel 4 times.

Pretty much done with BMW after this. They're fragile pieces of crap. Havent had a decent one in the past 6 cars. All brand new.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
Yikes!

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Sorry about the strut - did it get bent from a NJ pothole? BMW's remind me of airplanes: strong where they have to be but delicate and fragile in other ways ...and expensive to repair like planes I think our upcoming M6 vert may the last for awhile unless the X5M proves to be robust. So far it's built like a tank but it's a truck and not a sports or GT car. My dealer was shocked I bought a SUV, and frankly, it surprised me, but...

555 HP with 500+ ft-lb of torque, X-drive, launch control and snow tires isn't all bad though

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Sorry about the strut - did it get bent from a NJ pothole? BMW's remind me of airplanes: strong where they have to be but delicate and fragile in other ways ...and expensive to repair like planes I think our upcoming M6 vert may the last for awhile unless the X5M proves to be robust. So far it's built like a tank but it's a truck and not a sports or GT car. My dealer was shocked I bought a SUV, and frankly, it surprised me, but...

555 HP with 500+ ft-lb of torque, X-drive, launch control and snow tires isn't all bad though
FDR Drive

Can't even avoid them because there are cars flying by on either side of you and coming up from the rear as well.

Haha yes, I know what you mean. Aerobatic category airplanes coming back down with nosegear shimmy lol.

I'm gonna try Porsche next I think. It probably won't be any better but my father in law doesn't have these wheel/tire/suspension problems and he drives through the city everyday. Not a huge fan of SUVs but sounds like the X5M is a beast. I prefer a low ride though.

First order of business is to get out of these hard sole shoes and into sneakers (run-flat vs standard) The shin splints turned into stress fractures.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Sheeeesh man sorry to hear it... I spent Christmas back home in NY.. When I got back to the DC area I had a nail in a tire and a crack rim.. Thanks to the FDR. I love my city but that will be the last time I drive my car there. Next time ill just get a rental.. Really sorry to hear it..
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post

First order of business is to get out of these hard sole shoes and into sneakers (run-flat vs standard) The shin splints turned into stress fractures.
My 650 rides much, much better since I ditched the runflats - got rid of them 2 weeks from purchase on the X5M too. One of BMW's worst decisions

Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Quote:
FDR Drive

Can't even avoid them because there are cars flying by on either side of you and coming up from the rear as well.

Haha yes, I know what you mean. Aerobatic category airplanes coming back down with nosegear shimmy lol.

I'm gonna try Porsche next I think. It probably won't be any better but my father in law doesn't have these wheel/tire/suspension problems and he drives through the city everyday. Not a huge fan of SUVs but sounds like the X5M is a beast. I prefer a low ride though.

Do the 991 thing hockeyman.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
My 650 rides much, much better since I ditched the runflats - got rid of them 2 weeks from purchase on the X5M too. One of BMW's worst decisions
Do I ever agree on the Run-Flats!! What real tires did you go with?
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Do I ever agree on the Run-Flats!! What real tires did you go with?
I decided to save a few bucks and put on Hankook Ventus V12's. They aren't quite as good as the Michelins but I've had really good experience with them on the Z4, 650 and my old 550. I woudl have put them on the X5M too but decided I needed a little more weather capability and mounted a set of Continental DWS since that pig is going to remain in Montana.

Unless you are tracking your 650 the 'kooks are a good choice.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
2014 640XI Vert

Mein Auto: 14 BMW 640xi convertible
sorry to hear about the strut issue, you gotta find a service advisor thats not such a hard ass.
i cant wait to ride thru mid-town with my top down thru 42nd at night, but im scared as hell to ride on the grand central, or LIE.., guess it'll be a long slow trip going and coming

2014 640XI CONVERTIBLE
ALPINE WHITE/BLACK DAKOTA LEATHER

2nm 20 inch wheels
5% tint
M-Pkg
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Sorry to hear about that.

I took my nicely paved local roads for granted until I started hearing about what y'all are experiencing. That's gotta be a PITA having to worry about this crap on a daily basis.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I was thinking..... For an issue like this Porsche may not be the way to go. Their leases are very very expensive when compared to BMW. They don't have the free maintenance like BMW.. And I suspect they probably wouldn't cover the repair due to the upgrade as well. Before I purchased my Sixer I flirted with the Panamera. And those dealers wouldn't budge when it came to negotiating a a lease. It was basically here is the price take it or leave it.. Just my two cents though.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650 x-drive m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
I was thinking..... For an issue like this Porsche may not be the way to go. Their leases are very very expensive when compared to BMW. They don't have the free maintenance like BMW.. And I suspect they probably wouldn't cover the repair due to the upgrade as well. Before I purchased my Sixer I flirted with the Panamera. And those dealers wouldn't budge when it came to negotiating a a lease. It was basically here is the price take it or leave it.. Just my two cents though.
It really does depend on the dealer. Mine has both a BMW store AND a Porsche store. Known them for many years and offered me good leasing deals on both.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
I have never heard of someone bending a strut on these cars. Why exactly would BMW warranty a suspension component when you modified the suspension?? That's like asking them to warranty engine damage after you tuned the engine...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I have never heard of someone bending a strut on these cars. Why exactly would BMW warranty a suspension component when you modified the suspension?? That's like asking them to warranty engine damage after you tuned the engine...
I wasnt expecting them to cover the strut under warranty. Can you tell me where I complained about it? Just mentioning it so others are aware. However, I still think it's BS that a 1" (spring mod only) drop would cause such damage. It is what it is. Im pretty sure that the harshness of the run-flats caused it. I even had the car in Comfort + to soften the blows but I can still feel the impact being absorbed by my body. I've bent 2 wheels and bubbled 5 tires way before I even thought about modding the springs. I think you just got a little emotional when I mentioned leaving your beloved BMW.

Even the BMW mechanic said he never heard of such a thing and he said his car is slammed on paper thin tires. Im gonna try to get a picture of it.

I appreciate all the condolences. Definitely gonna go with standard tires for the next 2 years I have left on the lease. Wish I did it sooner because now my interior rattles like a New Years party favor (sigh)

Last edited by Itinj6; 02-23-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I decided to save a few bucks and put on Hankook Ventus V12's. They aren't quite as good as the Michelins but I've had really good experience with them on the Z4, 650 and my old 550. I woudl have put them on the X5M too but decided I needed a little more weather capability and mounted a set of Continental DWS since that pig is going to remain in Montana.

Unless you are tracking your 650 the 'kooks are a good choice.
Thanks for the advice. I saw the 'kooks online and the price is right. Probably gonna go with them as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighty150 View Post
sorry to hear about the strut issue, you gotta find a service advisor thats not such a hard ass.
i cant wait to ride thru mid-town with my top down thru 42nd at night, but im scared as hell to ride on the grand central, or LIE.., guess it'll be a long slow trip going and coming
Its annoying how hard I have to pay attention the road directly in front of me with the idrive screen constantly showing my tire pressures. The Palisades Parkway is no better. Had a few run ins with potholes on there too. I just moved to Rockland County.

Just be very careful.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
My father in law is paying the same monthly lease payment as I am with a very nicely equipped Carrera 4S. The maintenance might be an issue though. I dunno. I have two years to do some research. Lets see how standard tires hold up to these good for nothing NYC roads. Just scared sh*tless that im going to be stranded with a flat and no spare. At least the run flats never left me stranded.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Buy and carry the M5/M6 spare and jack kit. That's what I carry to go with my non-RFT Michelin super sports. Two years and no flats yet...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Buy and carry the M5/M6 spare and jack kit. That's what I carry to go with my non-RFT Michelin super sports. Two years and no flats yet...
Thanks. I didnt know the ///M's came with spares and non run-flats. I will look into it.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Thanks. I didnt know the ///M's came with spares and non run-flats. I will look into it.

That's news to me. The M5/6 comes with non-runflats, but they only come with a roadside inflation kit. There is a compact spare that is available from the aftermarket, but it does take up a fair amount of trunk space.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Has anyone priced a spare and the jack required for jacking up these cars? I'm not yet convinced on swapping to the non-RFTs, but I think I'd feel better with a backup rather than being a sitting duck.

I rarely have more than a towel in my trunk, so the loss of space doesn't bother me. Not fond of the extra weight, but I think I'd be hard pressed to feel a drop in my acceleration because of the addition of a spare tire.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/

Last edited by southern6er22; 02-23-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
That says it all about how BMW really feel regarding run-flats. They are not going to compromise the M's performance and over all capabilities with run-flats. The 6'ers shouldn't be compromised either! Just waiting to run through my set of RF's and then it's off to the Michelin's Super Sports or Pilot Sports.

My vote is a roadside kit(doubt if you ever would use it) and/or AAA. That's all you need.
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
That says it all about how BMW really feel regarding run-flats. They are not going to compromise the M's performance and over all capabilities with run-flats. The 6'ers shouldn't be compromised either! Just waiting to run through my set of RF's and then it's off to the Michelin's Super Sports or Pilot Sports.

My vote is a roadside kit(doubt if you ever would use it) and/or AAA. That's all you need.

Funny you posted this. I was trying to justify the reason for buying non RFTs to my wife and one of my arguments was that the ///M Division doesn't use those pieces of crap and there's a reason for it lol.

While my car is getting orthopedic surgery for a tibia replacement, I'm gonna have them fit on a set of Nike Shox. Hopefully this does the trick.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
LMAO... and BMW wont cover it because I have H&R lowering springs installed. $1800 in parts + 8 hours labor.

I was wondering why I bottomed out on every curb ramp I drove on and replaced the same wheel 4 times.

Pretty much done with BMW after this. They're fragile pieces of crap. Havent had a decent one in the past 6 cars. All brand new.

What did you expect? I know you're angry and disappointed, but it's common knowledge that you need to replace the struts and shocks if you get lowering springs. This is why.

As for the parts being fragile, they're forged aluminum - light weight - in most cases (not in the struts, etc., but the control arms are) and as such are made to be strong in the direction of importance. They're definitely not strong in every direction. If you hit a curb sideways even at low speeds, it will likely snap that control arm right in half.

Maybe you should get a Jeep Wrangler? Something more rugged than a luxury coupe?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post

What did you expect? I know you're angry and disappointed, but it's common knowledge that you need to replace the struts and shocks if you get lowering springs. This is why.

As for the parts being fragile, they're forged aluminum - light weight - in most cases (not in the struts, etc., but the control arms are) and as such are made to be strong in the direction of importance. They're definitely not strong in every direction. If you hit a curb sideways even at low speeds, it will likely snap that control arm right in half.

Maybe you should get a Jeep Wrangler? Something more rugged than a luxury coupe?
Im so sorry to talk bad about your precious beloved BMW. What was I thinking? They are the bestest company in the whole wide world. It will never happen again. They are so perfect in each and every way.