Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Brakes

Does anyone know where the best prices for oem brakes and pads could be bought ? I want to stick with genuine bmw on both. Thank you
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Ultimate745i

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
I recommend Akebono Pads. You can get great pricing at Advance Auto Parts and they'll be OEM specs.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Buy them at fcpeuro.com
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks guys. Has anyone ever bought from bmw parts store it seems there rotors are bout 30 cheaper then fcp?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I used Pelican Parts to replace my E46 OEM rotors and pads. I was very pleased with their quick delivery, rotors and pads. I would not hesitate to use them again.

I installed the rotors and pads myself, and found the feel of the brakes and performance to be the same as my original rotors and pads.

Last edited by vahiker99; 02-22-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
John,

I usually buy my parts from oembimmerparts.com one of the sponsors. I'd stay away from autozone or any of the chain parts stores, the quality will not be the same.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM

That makes sense mopauly you always get what you pay for.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Ultimate745i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
John,

I'd stay away from autozone or any of the chain parts stores, the quality will not be the same.
I'd disagree. If you buy the name brand product version, it is what it is. I hope you realize that BMW dont actually manufacture brake pads, fluids, and other non-patented products.
I know that you and I have have this disagreement continuously, but I'll stand on my statement that, just because it says "BMW" on the box and costs DOUBLE the price dont make it better.
It's no different than going to the grocery store and buying the Name Brand product versus the Store Brand.
Walmart doesnt manufacture, farm, or build anything in the store, but for the privileged of putting thier name on a product, it costs LESS.
Paying MORE is totally up to the individual. Yes, there are some products of lesser grade and/or quality, but a Name Brand is a Name Brand.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate745i View Post
I'd disagree. If you buy the name brand product version, it is what it is. I hope you realize that BMW dont actually manufacture brake pads, fluids, and other non-patented products.
I know that you and I have have this disagreement continuously, but I'll stand on my statement that, just because it says "BMW" on the box and costs DOUBLE the price dont make it better.
It's no different than going to the grocery store and buying the Name Brand product versus the Store Brand.
Walmart doesnt manufacture, farm, or build anything in the store, but for the privileged of putting thier name on a product, it costs LESS.
Paying MORE is totally up to the individual. Yes, there are some products of lesser grade and/or quality, but a Name Brand is a Name Brand.
+1. People kill me with the "OEM" crap!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Ultimate745i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
+1. People kill me with the "OEM" crap!
I'm not saying that OEM doesnt have it's place, but my main point is that if you purchase a Name Brand product from ANYWHERE, then it is what it is.
If it's an authentic name Brand product, I'm pretty sure they stand behind that product whether you buy it from BMW or the Waffle House.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Trust me brotha I get your point. Example OEM style 128's are not as durable as the Rep versions from what I hear an they cost more than the reps, so OEM doesn't always guarantee you quality.

Last edited by Rookie2008; 02-22-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
Thanks guys. Has anyone ever bought from bmw parts store it seems there rotors are bout 30 cheaper then fcp?
I bought my OEM pads here

http://www.ecstuning.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
I have bought from thebmwpartsstore.com. I prefer the Zimmerman rotors at fcpeuro due to the coating to keep from rusting. The bmwpartsstore shipping is also extremely slow. I only live 100 miles away from there and always have slow shipping.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Ultimate745i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
I only live 100 miles away from there and always have slow shipping.
Any other time I would have encouraged to put that bimmer in tha wind..but with Premium gas at $4.65 per gallon...I'd wait on USPS as well! LOL!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Wikij i thought the bmw rotors were also zinc coated for rust free to?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
No manufacturer typically makes the parts for their own cars. However your argument to quality isn't valid; your third party aftermarket parts are not made to the same quality standard as the OEM and that is simply fact. If you can buy OEM parts at the big box store, thats great. However for the majority of the parts supplied this is not true and you are buying a cheaper lesser quality imitation. They cost half as much because they will only last half as long or deliver have of the performance engineered into the OEM. Again, this is not opinion this is fact.

When you buy from the dealer you are paying a large markup. This is true of any dealer for any car out there. So the middle road is to find the OEM engineered and supplied parts at the best price possible, regardless of whether its a Honda or a BMW. Do what you want, but I speak from 25 years of working on my own cars and seeing the quality difference first hand.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Ultimate745i

Quote:
. However for the majority of the parts supplied this is not true and you are buying a cheaper lesser quality imitation. They cost half as much because they will only last half as long or deliver have of the performance engineered into the OEM. Again, this is not opinion this is fact.
UH,,,dont think so. You pay less because contrary to oembimmerparts.com, which may have only ONE store in the entire U.S,A.,
these other franchises that you hate so much have about 10,000+ stores and are able to get a better deal for putting much,
much more of that particular manufacture's product on the shelf and ultimately in the streets.
Again, I'm not against OEM parts, but to base your position on the notion that Akebono, or ANY legitimate premium name brand company is selling a lesser grade product to these franchises is just ridiculous.
They just wouldnt risk their reputation on such rederick. I can respect your many years of experience , just not your basis for this particular debate.
No harm in respectfully disagreeing, though, that's what this and/or any forum should be about.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Ultimate745i

Quote:
However your argument to quality isn't valid; your third party aftermarket parts are not made to the same quality standard as the OEM and that is simply fact.
Hey Mopauly, I believe THIS is where you and I are bumping heads. I'm defending NAME BRAND parts (no matter where bought) and you're comparing OEM to ANY "third party" parts.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
UH,,,dont think so. You pay less because contrary to oembimmerparts.com, which may have only ONE store in the entire U.S,A.,
these other franchises that you hate so much have about 10,000+ stores and are able to get a better deal for putting much,
much more of that particular manufacture's product on the shelf and ultimately in the streets.
Again, I'm not against OEM parts, but to base your position on the notion that Akebono, or ANY legitimate premium name brand company is selling a lesser grade product to these franchises is just ridiculous.
They just wouldnt risk their reputation on such rederick. I can respect your many years of experience , just not your basis for this particular debate.
No harm in respectfully disagreeing, though, that's what this and/or any forum should be about.
The vendor I mentioned was purely reference - they are selling OEM parts so the one store argument isn't valid - they simply have some sort of access to the factory/dealer supply chains. Many of the ones I see are dealers simply selling cheaper over the internet because transactions are electronic and there is much less human overhead and cost.

And lets clarify, I do not 'hate' the chain parts stores but you have to know what you are buying. I do not consider Akebono in the same category as the generic parts purchased from the chain stores. To that argument I simply prefer organic over ceramic for stopping power, I do not believe they make a lesser quality product at all.

Much of what I have started to see on this board is the same thing I did when I was a kid - except then it was air shocks, cherry bombs, and Cragers instead of what you see here...but the point is the same. Some of these parts will actually degrade the performance of the vehicle, or in some cases make it even less safe then it left the factory.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Ultimate745i

Yes I can definitely go along with the fact that some 3rd party parts are guilty of not being as equal to what some manufactures recommend.
I just wanted to get the issue of a franchise parts store (or any other company) selling "unqualified" name brand parts(NOT generic brand), straightened out.
"OEM" seemed to be your only answer to most of your posts so I thought it was worth clarifying that OEM doesnt have to be the ONLY answer/option to everything.
I literally thank God for this forum and others like it, because it allows us to help one another at a level that the manufactures nor dealers
would never care about helping us without the excessive profit margins and bias parts "strangle hold".
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM

I harp OEM from practical experience. For my domestic products I'm more willing to go generic parts store brand. For my wife's Honda and my BMW I won't sacrifice quality for price.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 07 750i, 02 540i Sport
I'll take a cheaper chain store knock off part with a lifetime warranty over most of the overpriced OEM stuff from the BMW parts counter any day just on principle alone.

With the 50%-75% you can save on most parts not buying them from the BMW parts counter it's certainly worth the risk of having to replace it a little sooner; and these days, most of the big aftermarket chain stores stand behind their warranty much better too (swapping out most any defective parts with no questions asked and keeping electronic records of your purchase on file for the entire warranty period.)

How the OEM's can sleep at night charging us so much for some of their stuff is absolutely criminal. (like $25 per quart of transmission fluid... or $300 for a brake rotor, or $12 for a 2 cent plastic trim clip.. or $6.50 for a 30 cent o-ring...)

I would love to buy all my parts from the great company that designed/built my car and would certainly be willing to pay a little extra like 10%-20%; but we all work pretty hard for every dollar, and when their parts are priced ridiculously high, we've got to make a choice on where we want to spend (or waste) our money.

If you can buy from one of the many good aftermarket companies (on line or locally), you'll usually get stuff that almost always just as good at a fraction of the price.

Last edited by Ltmax; 02-24-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM

The OEM's aren't charging you that price, the dealers are.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Arrgh...I've had my 2006 750i for about a month now and driven it approximately 1,000 miles. Yesterday, I got a service indicator for front brake pad/rotor replacement. My brake readings at time of purchase were 10mm rear and 6mm front. I took my car to a sister dealership from the one I bought at and they let me know that according to the readings I should not need this service so soon. They asked the dealer I purchased from for authorization to do the repair free of charge and I'm waiting on an answer. The cost out of pocket if the dealer declines is $995. I'm wondering can I supply the parts to the dealer so I can get Akebono pads and Zimmermann rotors installed?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 PM
The Silverback

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
I have rotors, pads and sensors on hand, called the dealer today to see how much they would charge to install and they said $600 o_o