Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Just arrived

Mein Auto: E46 M54226S1 Touring
Installing GPS tracker with fuel cut-off

Hi

I have a GPS tracking system in my 2009 E70 with the M57N2 diesel that can execute a fuel cut-off when instructed via SMS. A relay will then break the chosen circuit, which in the enclosed manual is proposed to be the +12V going to the fuel pump.

So far I've figured out that my car has two low pressure pumps in the tank, and one high pressure pump on/in the engine, as well as a "control unit for fuel pump" (part no. 16147276046). I'm hoping for advice regarding what is the best place to put the relay that the GPS tracker controls. I'm hoping that there is a relay that controls the two low pressure pumps, and if so, I would like to attach my relay to that one. But so far I have not been able to source enough literature to locate any related relays, and have absolutely no clue as to what the abovementioned control unit does...

Any opinions on this? Help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Other ideas than fuel cut-of are welcome! Instead of actuating the relay I guess I could set of all the airbags ;-)

Last edited by Sjon; 02-22-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Grammmar
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
The fuel pump uses fuel as lubrication and cooling, I would be hesitant about cutting the in tank pumps and starving the High Pressure unit. If I could be assured that the high pressure pump won't continue to run when the car dies it may not be as big of a deal.

I guess this is also just a last resort if it gets stolen, so maybe having a car with a burnt out expensive @ss fuel pump is better than having no car at all???

Jay
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjon View Post
Hi

I have a GPS tracking system in my 2009 E70 with the M57N2 diesel that can execute a fuel cut-off when instructed via SMS. A relay will then break the chosen circuit, which in the enclosed manual is proposed to be the +12V going to the fuel pump.

So far I've figured out that my car has two low pressure pumps in the tank, and one high pressure pump on/in the engine, as well as a "control unit for fuel pump" (part no. 16147276046). I'm hoping for advice regarding what is the best place to put the relay that the GPS tracker controls. I'm hoping that there is a relay that controls the two low pressure pumps, and if so, I would like to attach my relay to that one. But so far I have not been able to source enough literature to locate any related relays, and have absolutely no clue as to what the abovementioned control unit does...

Any opinions on this? Help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Other ideas than fuel cut-of are welcome! Instead of actuating the relay I guess I could set of all the airbags ;-)
Wow, GPS tracker?! That's awesome dude! It would be perfect here in California; I didn't expect it to be as much of an issue in Norway. It's also perfect to keep tabs on the wife or valet, LOL!

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
BMW electrics are extremely precise. Are you sure you want to be screwing around with them?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 4.8i
Another option could be to cut power to the drive by wire.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
Perhaps you could hook it to your door switch. An open door throws the vehicle into park. Maybe not the best idea if they're moving at any rate of speed, though.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
Perhaps you could hook it to your door switch. An open door throws the vehicle into park. Maybe not the best idea if they're moving at any rate of speed, though.
That's a very interesting idea. Since door switches can malfunction, and BMW is very safety conscious, I'm pretty sure that BMW has designed into the system something which will prevent an open door signal from putting the transmission into park until the vehicle has slowed down enough or come to a stop, which is probably the best type of shutdown to avoid an accident, e.g., do you really want to shut-down the vehicle while it is operating at high speed on a busy highway, perhaps causing a multiple-car accident?

That said, I am always a bit nervous when non-factory accessories are added which can shutdown the vehicle -- if the device malfunctions, or installation problems such as a bad connection appear over time, you become the victim of the vehicle shut-down. Depending on the vehicle theft risk of your location, it is a trade-off of the likelihood of the vehicle being stolen vs. the likelihood of a malfunction impacting your own safe operation of the vehicle.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Just arrived

Thanks to all wo have replied so far. You guys mention several things that needs to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
The fuel pump uses fuel as lubrication and cooling, I would be hesitant about cutting the in tank pumps and starving the High Pressure unit. If I could be assured that the high pressure pump won't continue to run when the car dies it may not be as big of a deal.

I guess this is also just a last resort if it gets stolen, so maybe having a car with a burnt out expensive @ss fuel pump is better than having no car at all???
c xwes
Jay
Good point. I guess it would be best to cut power to the HP pump then. And as you say, this would really be a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
BMW electrics are extremely precise. Are you sure you want to be screwing around with them?
No, not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdesign View Post
Another option could be to cut power to the drive by wire.
What would be the effect of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
That's a very interesting idea. Since door switches can malfunction, and BMW is very safety conscious, I'm pretty sure that BMW has designed into the system something which will prevent an open door signal from putting the transmission into park until the vehicle has slowed down enough or come to a stop, which is probably the best type of shutdown to avoid an accident, e.g., do you really want to shut-down the vehicle while it is operating at high speed on a busy highway, perhaps causing a multiple-car accident?

That said, I am always a bit nervous when non-factory accessories are added which can shutdown the vehicle -- if the device malfunctions, or installation problems such as a bad connection appear over time, you become the victim of the vehicle shut-down. Depending on the vehicle theft risk of your location, it is a trade-off of the likelihood of the vehicle being stolen vs. the likelihood of a malfunction impacting your own safe operation of the vehicle.
JohnMN and Penguin; this i really interesting. I absolutely do not want to cause an accident (at least not one where innocent people gets injured), nor do I want to install a solution that - if it fails in the future - leaves me stranded roadside.

I will have to look into how an open door affects the transmission at different speeds.

That being said, theft of these and similar vehicles is not uncommon where I live, but luckily not as big a concern as, say, in the UK (300 2004-2012 BMWs stolen in a month IIRC). I have moved the OBD II out of the ultrasonic sensors blind spot, but still would like the peace of mind of being able to interrupt thieves in one way or another.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
I love the idea of hooking it to the accelerator pedal, cut that and the car will continue to run but will coast to a stop in theory

Jay
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjon View Post
What would be the effect of this?
Jay explains it well...
Quote:
I love the idea of hooking it to the accelerator pedal, cut that and the car will continue to run but will coast to a stop in theory
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I am opposed to anything which could cause an accident. IMHO it would be far more effective / non-violent to have the car coded to blast out Justin Bieber MP3's at maximum volume.

Either that or a remote control Taser mounted under the steering column, pointed at the driver's crotch.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I am opposed to anything which could cause an accident. IMHO it would be far more effective / non-violent to have the car coded to blast out Justin Bieber MP3's at maximum volume.

Either that or a remote control Taser mounted under the steering column, pointed at the driver's crotch.
I agree with the Taser idea...but what if the "would be thief" was an adolescent teen who had the Bieber fever?!

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Just arrived

Quote:

Agreed, but I guess driving while getting tazed in the nuts could cause an accident as well

Quote:

Jay
So far, this is my favorite idea! How would you go about this, installation-wise? Does the drive by wire control only the accelerator pedal, or would other controls/instruments be affected? I have not been able to find any technical description of the system.
If I'm lucky, it is a separate system with its own +12V supply, but I'm afraid it's more integrated and complicated than that

This is great, thank you all for contributing so far.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
And you think that wouldn't cause an accident?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Understandable if your not comfortable to answer, but why?

Pretty much all the opinions above are useless without one critical piece of advice...Whats the programming behind all of the control units that you wish to disable. If you try to mess with those right now, you run the risk of messing with proper drive-ability currently.

The best answer to your query is asking a BMW engineer, BMW themselves (they make armored versions of the X5), and or companies that armor and build BMWs for dignitaries or such. They are the only ones who needs to shutoff a moving vehicle by disabling a core power-train component without causing a crash of some sort.

Good Luck!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!