Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan 350Z, Audi A4
Future 5 Series Owner

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum although I've been checking out the forum for awhile now. Lot's of helpful people and information here and I hope to take advantage of that and eventually give back to others.

First, a little background on me. I've been a car guy since childhood but after college, I drove and bought a car that would change my life. That car was a 1978 Datsun 280Z. I have been a Datsun/Nissan fan ever since. In fact, I started a Z club in CT in 2005 that now has over 500 active members (check us out at www.ctzcc.com). We are a bunch of like-minded folks that share our common love for the Z. We too have an active forum, but certainly not anything near the size of this one.

So my current ride is a 2008 350Z Grand Touring edition. I also own a mint 1978 280Z with 36,000 original miles on it. The 350Z has been a blast but I feel it's time for a change. I owned a 3-series previously and drove it for ten years prior to my Z. So that started my appreciation of BMW's. Lately I've been checking out the 5 series and from all of the positive comments about the vehicle on this forum, I feel it is the right next car for me.

Here is my latest thinking on what to buy but nothing is set in stone at this point and I would love to hear feedback on what packages / options are worth getting and which aren't. I've always been a "middle of the road" guy. I never want the basics but I also don't like to pay for things I won't use/need or can't justify the price of. Also, I know the numbers I'm quoting are MSRP and not what I would eventually pay.

Model: I am honing in on the 535 x drive sedan. I live in the Northeast and definitely need the all wheel drive capability. While I was initially drawn to the gas savings of the 528 x-drive, I noticed that the 535 x drive only got 1 / 2 MPG less than the 528 x-drive for city / highway driving. And while many have written positive things about the 528, I think I'd be happier with the larger engine over the long term.

Color: I like the look of the darker colors so I am considering the Carbon Black Metallic, Imperial Blue or Black Sapphire paint schemes. I've only seen the Imperial Blue in person.

Interior: I like the look of black leather but am undecided between the Black Nappa and Black Dakota. For the most part, it will just be me using the car - so there shouldn't be a lot of wear and tear. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that chose between the two, why, and how it turned out.

Trim: To me the dark wood looks the best with a dark leather so I am thinking of going with the dark wood trim. That being said, I sat in a used 2012 535 with dark wood trim this past weekend and noticed that it appeared to have small scratches / swirl marks all over the place. I'm not sure if this is what happens normally after a year or whether the PO was cleaning the trim with something abrasive. I would also consider the Anthracite but it is hard to see what it really looks like on the BMW web-site. Anyone order the Anthracite and like it / not like it?

Packages: I was not planning to go with the cold weather package, but instead just elect heated seats as an option. Again, it will mostly just be me in the car so I think having rear heated seats would just be a waste of money, although the heated steering wheel might be nice. According to the BMW web-site, it's an extra $450 to go with the package vs. electing just heated seats.

Driver Assistance Plus: Haven't really read many posts that said this is a "must have", so I plan to skip it.

Luxury Seating Package: Many people on the forum seem to really like the multi-contour seats so I plan to elect that option but not go for the entire Luxury Seating Package that includes features that people seem to be on the fence about (or in some cases negative).

M Sport Package: I really like the look and features of this package but I am VERY concerned about what I have read about the run-flats on 19" tires. I have absolutely no desire to be replacing tires on a regular basis when the last flat / bulge I had was ?? (can't even remember). So I am very interested in exploring other options with the dealer WITHOUT paying more for them. To me, if I pay $60+ for a car, I have the expectation that it will come with reliable, quality tires from point of delivery. Ideally, I'd like to have the dealer replace the run-flats with non-run flat tires or throw in tire insurance at no cost to me. Maybe that is expecting too much, but again, when I buy a new car I expect to not have frequent trouble with my tires.

Driver Assistance Package: I really want the back-up camera as I have it on my wife's Audi and I love it. I've also recently read favorable comments on the side and top view cameras and the park distance control. Since you can't buy the back-up camera without the park distance control, I figured I'd just get the package.

Dynamic Handling Package: To me, the cost of $3,500 outweighs the potential benefit. I suspect I will be very happy with the handling as delivered without this package.

Premium Package: I haven't read that this is a "must have" so I am skipping it. In fact some have been critical of the features.

Technology Package: I want the NAV and I've read some really good things about the HUD. Since the NAV alone costs $1,900 I figure the other features are probably worth an extra $700. So I plan to go with this package.

The only other option that I haven't already mentioned is the upgraded sound system. Many people on the forum feel that it was worth the money. So I plan to get this but pass on the B&O system, which for me doesn't pass the cost / benefit test.

So that's my build so far but again, I would love to be able to hear pros/cons to anything I have elected or not elected.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Last edited by tim330i; 02-27-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Ads by Google