Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
X5 recall

Yet another question--Anyone have the repair work done on their X5 for the IDLER PULLEY BOLT? My dealership is claiming this is what caused my complete failure of my X5 this week? I'm being told they repaired this recall in November. Obviously, the repair failed if they did fix it. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is offline
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 591
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco View Post
Yet another question--Anyone have the repair work done on their X5 for the IDLER PULLEY BOLT? My dealership is claiming this is what caused my complete failure of my X5 this week? I'm being told they repaired this recall in November. Obviously, the repair failed if they did fix it. Any thoughts?
Yup, that's the problem. Have them do it again, but insist on receiving an explanation in writing WHY the repair failed the first time.

Here's what I found:

Somewhere along the lines, a bunch of such SAVs were produced that may be subject to problems with their power steering systems.

The situation affects the E70 BMW X5 xDrive, but particularly the 35d version. Thatís the 3.0 liter force fed diesel engine powered one. In particular this flaw might be seen on model years ranging under the 2009 and 2012 model years. Thatís a big time span and as a result, some 29,800 units in the US are affected by the problem.

The root of the issue is the engine belt idler pulley bolt. After a while, this bolt might loosen and, possibly, break with time. If the bolt becomes worn enough to loosen and break, it will lead to a loss of power steering. If that happens, the problem is quite obvious.
A heavier steering and uncertain moment at the wrong time could end up in leading the driver towards a crash. Despite this, the NHTSA isnít yet involved in the recall.

BMW have announced that the recall itself will begin early next year and have set up a line for customers to check if their car is affected.
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
MSVX3 MSVX3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 xDrive 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Yup, that's the problem. Have them do it again, but insist on receiving an explanation in writing WHY the repair failed the first time.

Here's what I found:

Somewhere along the lines, a bunch of such SAVs were produced that may be subject to problems with their power steering systems.

The situation affects the E70 BMW X5 xDrive, but particularly the 35d version. Thatís the 3.0 liter force fed diesel engine powered one. In particular this flaw might be seen on model years ranging under the 2009 and 2012 model years. Thatís a big time span and as a result, some 29,800 units in the US are affected by the problem.

The root of the issue is the engine belt idler pulley bolt. After a while, this bolt might loosen and, possibly, break with time. If the bolt becomes worn enough to loosen and break, it will lead to a loss of power steering. If that happens, the problem is quite obvious.
A heavier steering and uncertain moment at the wrong time could end up in leading the driver towards a crash. Despite this, the NHTSA isnít yet involved in the recall.

BMW have announced that the recall itself will begin early next year and have set up a line for customers to check if their car is affected.
I thought it was just the 35d and not other X5s, is this not correct?
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009 BMW X5 xDrive 3.0i, Sapphire Black on Saddle Brown, Technology, Premium, Comfort, USB

2007 BMW X3 3.0SI, Titanium Silver on Black Nevada, Technology, Premium, Winter, Premium Audio (Traded in)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVX3 View Post
I thought it was just the 35d and not other X5s, is this not correct?
I believe it is ONLY the 35d.

SUMMARY:

BMW is recalling certain model year 2009-2012 X5 xDrive 35d SAV diesel vehicles manufactured September 1, 2008, through November 15, 2012. The engine belt idler pulley bolt could loosen and break over time.

CONSEQUENCE:


If the engine belt idler pulley bolt breaks, the vehicle may unexpectedly lose power-assisted steering, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:


BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace and tighten the idler pulley bolt. The recall began on January 15, 2013. Owners may call BMW at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

NOTES:


Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM
gresch's Avatar
gresch gresch is offline
Don't be a hammer
Location: NY/NJ/LI
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=pulley

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=pulley


nah, never heard of it.

Searching is so easy, I just don't get why people don't use it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Marwan Marwan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
OP,

Many of us X5d owners have had this recall repair done. I know of at least one other person reporting failure of the bolt AFTER the repair had been done so you're not alone with such a problem.
__________________
Retired:
2006 330i
2010 X5 35d

Last edited by Marwan; 02-23-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,173
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco View Post
Yet another question--Anyone have the repair work done on their X5 for the IDLER PULLEY BOLT? My dealership is claiming this is what caused my complete failure of my X5 this week? I'm being told they repaired this recall in November. Obviously, the repair failed if they did fix it. Any thoughts?
I'm going to vote that the dealer is lying.

Either they did the recall, and did it improperly- OR- the recall wasnt done.

Probably the former as it is pretty hard to sell/cpo a car with an active recall.

If you want the truth, refuse to sign off on the repair when you pick it up until the WRITTEN Repair Order has the 'story' wrtitten down- they'll try and TELL you something, but they will not want to put a lie in writing.

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 AM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
OP,

Many of us X5d owners have had this recall repair done. I know of at least one other person reporting failure of the bolt AFTER the repair had been done so you're not alone with such a problem.
Knowing that it failed for someone else isn't good. Hopefully they reported it to NHTSA so there is a record. My dealership said I'm the first repair that has come in that didn't work and they said they have fixed 250 cars. I said that wasn't impressive considering the recall was just official to owners last month!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 AM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
ARD---super advice. I'm am going to pick up my X5 tomorrow. I was thinking on the same lines as you. Wouldn't you think when I purchased this car, they would have had to tell me they had it in the shop, AS WE WERE NEGOTIATING, for a RECALL? I'm just a little frustrated. Thankfully this car was originally purchased and serviced at their dealership, so getting the service records should be easy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 AM
kankou kankou is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Count me in as another owner that has had the recall bolt fail. My recall was performed in mid Dec.
Last week while at a red light I lost power steering and a Charging Malfunction message popped up.
The X5 was towed into the dealership.

The service tech diagnosed it as a broken hex bolt, which happens to be the same part number as the recall bolt
[12-31-8-574-809 HEX Bolt with Inter].
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,173
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco View Post
ARD---super advice. I'm am going to pick up my X5 tomorrow. I was thinking on the same lines as you. Wouldn't you think when I purchased this car, they would have had to tell me they had it in the shop, AS WE WERE NEGOTIATING, for a RECALL? I'm just a little frustrated. Thankfully this car was originally purchased and serviced at their dealership, so getting the service records should be easy.
No, of course not. It was THEIR car at that time and they could do what they want.

It is illegal to sell a car with a pending recall... FYI. There must be an official record documenting they performed the recall before they sold you the car. (If indeed BMW issues a recall for that VIN prior to the date of sale.)
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.

Last edited by ard; 02-24-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by kankou View Post
Count me in as another owner that has had the recall bolt fail. My recall was performed in mid Dec.
Last week while at a red light I lost power steering and a Charging Malfunction message popped up.
The X5 was towed into the dealership.

The service tech diagnosed it as a broken hex bolt, which happens to be the same part number as the recall bolt
[12-31-8-574-809 HEX Bolt with Inter].

Did you report this to NHTSA??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,173
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Based on the many other threads on the recall, the details of the recall seem to indicate that BMW determined the 'defect' was 'improper torque'.

They claimed there was inadequate torque and hence inadeuate clamping force that- espectially in low temp climates with metal contraction- led to losening and finally bolt failure.

IF, on the other hand, it is turning out that the bolt is breaking without losening, their root cause analysis may be wrong! My read has been that they replace the old bolt with a new bolt with pre-applied threadlocker...but NOT a new bolt design.

Standby......


PS it is standard procedure to have replacemnt parts at the dealers well in advance of formally announcing a recall. If they didnt do this, they'd shut down the dealerships ability to sell cars!!!!!
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
kankou kankou is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco View Post
Did you report this to NHTSA??
I plan to
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Nonsuch Nonsuch is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Gatos CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco View Post
Knowing that it failed for someone else isn't good. Hopefully they reported it to NHTSA so there is a record. My dealership said I'm the first repair that has come in that didn't work and they said they have fixed 250 cars. I said that wasn't impressive considering the recall was just official to owners last month!
1 ouf of 250 might be the same (or even higher) failure rate than if no recall was performed

Does anyone have the repair instructions for this recall?
(I did search)

Last edited by Nonsuch; 02-25-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Just an update. I got my X5 back today. They fixed the failed recall repair--the same way as the original repair. The dealership said since they haven't had any repeat repairs yet, the standard instructions for repair are what they are using.

In addition, the shop manager said they have only repaired about 30 of these recalls, not 250 like my tech told me. Obviously that is a far worse rate of failure.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM
ltkjr ltkjr is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida Panhandle
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: x5 35d
Had my 2009 Aug build X535d recall done yesterday. I noted that the dealer charged back to BMW $120.00 to replace the bolt in question. By the way, the car battery died - failed - while at the dealer. They replaced the battery under warranty. I saw that the dealer chaged back to BMW $385.00. Timing is every!!

Last edited by ltkjr; 02-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM
tcfila tcfila is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 328xi
I've had the failed bolt twice before the recall was announced. After the recall, my work order showed a different part number for the bolt.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Nonsuch Nonsuch is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Gatos CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post
I've had the failed bolt twice before the recall was announced. After the recall, my work order showed a different part number for the bolt.
What was the part number?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
My service record has two parts: Hex bolt with internal thread, 129500. Hex screw with collar, 079510.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Nonsuch Nonsuch is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Gatos CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco View Post
My service record has two parts: Hex bolt with internal thread, 129500. Hex screw with collar, 079510.
Thanks. However, I'm not sure what those numbers mean. BMW parts numbers are 11 or 7 digits.

The repair instructions for the recall are posted at safercar.gov.
The bolt for the pulley is: 12318574809
The bolts for the crossmember which is removed for access are: 07146954889
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCMN-12V550-3687.pdf (148.5 KB, 156 views)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM
mco mco is offline
Registered User
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: X5 35D
I was unclear what numbers were what. Those numbers are also on the repair statement.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
tcfila tcfila is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 328xi
1st time and 2nd time it went out before recall, they replaced it with 12-31-7-798-455 Hex Bolt with Internal thread. Recall they used 12-31-8-574-809 Hex Bolt with Internal thread.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Nonsuch Nonsuch is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Gatos CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post
1st time and 2nd time it went out before recall, they replaced it with 12-31-7-798-455 Hex Bolt with Internal thread. Recall they used 12-31-8-574-809 Hex Bolt with Internal thread.
It is nice to know it is an updated part. The new part number does not appear on realoem.com, so it was not obvious which part it replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 AM
Jtrn0206 Jtrn0206 is offline
Registered User
Location: Denton, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: X5 xdrive35d
How do I find out if the previous owner of my BMW responded to this recall?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms