Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 AM
CarDriver's Avatar
CarDriver CarDriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saint Albans, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,409
Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Head Gasket replacement

Special tools.

Friends, isn't there a tool for locking the cams in position? I need one before I remove the chains,

Please advise were I can purchase or borrow (borrow would be best LOL...). Had a successful day Saturday. It is coming along. We made decent progress .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130216_125409_140.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	362660  
__________________

Last edited by CarDriver; 02-17-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 AM
czadek czadek is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 525i
Hey there Trev. Thank you again for your help. And yes, we've done a lot. I was looking into it and I found this on the e34 website:http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...gasket_M30.htm It migh help us a bit. Should I get new fuel injectors seals and the throttle body seal gasket? Let me know if anything comes to mind. In that post he talks about many different cleaning supplies too.


On that website under step 8 author says this

"Once everything is connected (please double check), torque the head to the specified values:
Add 50% BMW coolant and 50% distilled water then bleed the cooling system. Let the engine run 25min then torque the head 35 + 5 degree. (It will be warm)"

How are we supposed to torque the head after reinstalling all the parts? Just wondering. I must not get something here.

Last edited by czadek; 02-17-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: More info
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 AM
CarDriver's Avatar
CarDriver CarDriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saint Albans, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,409
Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Should I get new fuel injectors seals and the throttle body seal gasket? Let me know if anything comes to mind. In that post he talks about many different cleaning supplies too.

YES, YES and YES LOL...

And you are quite welcome. It was a pleasure working with you. You will be an E34 pro by the time we are done :0)))

I am going to pick up some gold high temp paint... No not that kind of gold paint that your friend has. This will be in a spray can, not real gold paint...LOL... 600 bucks for a three ounce jar...
__________________

Last edited by CarDriver; 02-17-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Radian's Avatar
Radian Radian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tucson, AZ
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 641
Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by czadek View Post
How are we supposed to torque the head after reinstalling all the parts? Just wondering. I must not get something here.
I'm surprised you got anything at all from that page. Wrong engine for starters. Hope you're using some other technical data to guide you through the repair.

...and the $300 estimate is definitely out of date.
__________________
Good food, good people, good times.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 AM
czadek czadek is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
I'm surprised you got anything at all from that page. Wrong engine for starters. Hope you're using some other technical data to guide you through the repair.

...and the $300 estimate is definitely out of date.

Hey Radian.

Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to get as much info on the head replacement. I know its the wrong engine but all of them have something in common.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM
CarDriver's Avatar
CarDriver CarDriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saint Albans, New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,409
Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by czadek View Post
Hey there Trev. Thank you again for your help. And yes, we've done a lot. I was looking into it and I found this on the e34 website:http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...gasket_M30.htm It migh help us a bit. Should I get new fuel injectors seals and the throttle body seal gasket? Let me know if anything comes to mind. In that post he talks about many different cleaning supplies too.


On that website under step 8 author says this

"Once everything is connected (please double check), torque the head to the specified values:
Add 50% BMW coolant and 50% distilled water then bleed the cooling system. Let the engine run 25min then torque the head 35 + 5 degree. (It will be warm)"

How are we supposed to torque the head after reinstalling all the parts? Just wondering. I must not get something here.
You should get seals fore every thing we removed so yes, if they were not included in the kit, get them.. As for specs, I have them so do not go by that web page for anything more than generality. That is not the engine we are doing...
__________________

Last edited by CarDriver; 02-17-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM
oLDgREY525 oLDgREY525 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 91 525i
You can re-torque the head bolts once you set the motor back to TDC... Also you can go to www.zdmak.com to order the camshaft lockdown tool about $100.0 and some change depending where you live. Get yourself a Bentley BMW Manual it will have all the information you need and it covers all 6 and 8 cyl engines from m20 thru m60

Last edited by oLDgREY525; 02-22-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
oLDgREY525 oLDgREY525 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 91 525i
Head Gasket repair

I'm not sure which engine your doing this work on, is it the M50 or the M20-30 ? As far as the M50 with the dohc you can set the motor at TDC in order to re-torque the head bolts ! I purchased a camshaft lockdown tool from www.zdmak.com... Your gasket kit should come with all the seals and things you need to replace. I just did the same thing to mine back in November 2012, my car runs great at 289k miles on the odometer...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms