Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
guest0211 guest0211 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: Jeep
2010 CPO white 535i

I'm in the Bay Area and looking for a white 535i with sports package premium package and nav. I didn't realize how difficult this is....

I saw one today and it was around 38k with 25k miles. However, it's not certified. I asked the sales person why he said because the owner missed one oil change. I find this rather weird.

Do you think this is a good deal? I'm just worried about the maintenance cost if the something is wrong with only roughly 1 year left of the warranty.

Anything I should ask about? I need a car by the end of next month. So I do have a month to think about.

Suggestions? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
1) Ask if you can take it to the BMW dealer to have it checked, they do this for a fee
2) You can extend the BMW warranty up until it expires, it's not cheap (~$2500) but if it gives you peace of mind?
3) Look at more cars, especially white - it's one of the most popular BMW colors, there should be more than one available
4) What the salesperson told you is BS, there are a variety of reasons why BMW won't CPO a car, but missing a single oil change isn't one of them. There is more to it than that (mileage, previously lemoned - not uncommon with the 535, I know 6 people that had their 535 lemoned due to HPFP failures, crash, condition, and age - which should not be a problem in your case, they don't CPO any car over 4 years old)
To ease your search look on Carmax.com, Autonation.com, Penske.com - these large autogroups will transfer a car from any of their dealerships in the country to the one local to you for a minimal fee - cheaper than you could buy a car out of state and have it shipped.
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe

Last edited by pjinca; 02-23-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
F1.tifosi's Avatar
F1.tifosi F1.tifosi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 581
Send a message via Yahoo to F1.tifosi
Mein Auto: BMW 535i Sport, 08 Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
1) ask if you can take it to the bmw dealer to have it checked, they do this for a fee
2) you can extend the bmw warranty up until it expires, it's not cheap (~$2500) but if it gives you peace of mind?
3) look at more cars, especially white - it's one of the most popular bmw colors, there should be more than one available
4) what the salesperson told you is bs, there are a variety of reasons why bmw won't cpo a car, but missing a single oil change isn't one of them. There is more to it than that (mileage, previously lemoned - not uncommon with the 535, i know 6 people that had their 535 lemoned due to hpfp failures, crash, condition, and age - which should not be a problem in your case, they don't cpo any car over 4 years old)
to ease your search look on carmax.com, autonation.com, penske.com - these large autogroups will transfer a car from any of their dealerships in the country to the one local to you for a minimal fee - cheaper than you could buy a car out of state and have it shipped.
+1
__________________
418whp/476wtq, 0-60 in 3.83s
Jet Black | LCSW | DP WT | ZCW | ZPP | ZSP | 261 | 2TB | 322 | 415 | 416 | 609 | 610 | 620 | 677 | 6FL | 6UH |F/R Cameras | Escort 9500ix |
Cobb (Race E30 Map PTF -Jake) | Injen DCI | BMS OCC | ER anodized FMIC |AR DP Catted |TIAL Q BOV | ER Diverter Valve Charge Pipe | Quaife LSD | RPI GT Race Catback Exhaust | P3(VIDI) Boost Gauge| BMS LT Thermostat | LED AE, Interior, Fog, Side Marker | 19" Style 433 M | Michelin PS A/S 3 |
BMWCCA member# 480266
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 PM
guest0211 guest0211 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
1) Ask if you can take it to the BMW dealer to have it checked, they do this for a fee
2) You can extend the BMW warranty up until it expires, it's not cheap (~$2500) but if it gives you peace of mind?
3) Look at more cars, especially white - it's one of the most popular BMW colors, there should be more than one available
4) What the salesperson told you is BS, there are a variety of reasons why BMW won't CPO a car, but missing a single oil change isn't one of them. There is more to it than that (mileage, previously lemoned - not uncommon with the 535, I know 6 people that had their 535 lemoned due to HPFP failures, crash, condition, and age - which should not be a problem in your case, they don't CPO any car over 4 years old)
To ease your search look on Carmax.com, Autonation.com, Penske.com - these large autogroups will transfer a car from any of their dealerships in the country to the one local to you for a minimal fee - cheaper than you could buy a car out of state and have it shipped.

Thank you!! This is super helpful!!

This car was actually at a BMW, that's why I didn't like what the sales person told me. I'm worried about lemons.

For car max,com etc,I won't be able to test drive??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayewolf View Post
Thank you!! This is super helpful!!

This car was actually at a BMW, that's why I didn't like what the sales person told me. I'm worried about lemons.

For car max,com etc,I won't be able to test drive??
LOL, sure you can test drive at Carmax. I bought my 550 at Carmax, it was the lowest mileage 550 (20k) with the most options I could find at a reasonable price. I test drove it. Even if they bring it from out of state you can test drive the car before you buy it, the only difference is that you have to wait until it gets to the dealer before you can drive it (obviously) - mine isn't certified either (5 years old), but I didn't care because I got a warranty from my credit union that covers everything, including electronics - which CPO does not cover, so if your iDrive dies you are S.O.L. like I was when my iDrive died in my CPO 530
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe

Last edited by pjinca; 02-23-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 PM
guest0211 guest0211 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: Jeep
Apologies for my dumb question , I never heard of carmax.. So I pay a little but, they ship the car over and if I don't like it I don't have go buy?

They also carry cpo? I thought only BMW dealer does..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
stmoore01 stmoore01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Crystal lake, Illinois
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 142
Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport
Cpo

Once a car is sold as a CPO car, it carries that warranty coverages to subsequent owners. Always look at the Carfax as that will show if the car was sold as a CPO car it is one of the few benefits of Carfax in my opinion. I bought a 2008 528xi about 6 months ago. It was CPO but bought from a toyota dealer. As a nice surprise when I took it to my BMW dealer to check service history and in service date I found out it had the extended maintenance plan too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayewolf View Post
Apologies for my dumb question , I never heard of carmax.. So I pay a little but, they ship the car over and if I don't like it I don't have go buy?

They also carry cpo? I thought only BMW dealer does..
Yes, you can ask them to bring whatever car you choose to the location closest to you and you are not obligated to buy. Also, if the car is within a 250 miles radius of you they don't charge you anything to bring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore01 View Post
Once a car is sold as a CPO car, it carries that warranty coverages to subsequent owners. Always look at the Carfax as that will show if the car was sold as a CPO car it is one of the few benefits of Carfax in my opinion. I bought a 2008 528xi about 6 months ago. It was CPO but bought from a toyota dealer. As a nice surprise when I took it to my BMW dealer to check service history and in service date I found out it had the extended maintenance plan too.
I was talking about Carmax, not Carfax. Carfax is much hyped but limited in it's effectiveness. CPO is good and all, but it is also limited, no electronics are covered and with cars as complicated as ours it would be nice if CPO covered things like electronics - which it doesn't, just to give an idea replacing my CCC (NAV unit) and TCU (BLuetooth) cost me $1100 out of pocket, the dealer quoted me $2800 to do the CCC and $1400 more to do the TCU. Neither was covered under CPO
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 AM
guest0211 guest0211 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: Jeep
Would you guys think that a 40k miles cpo one is a bit too much mileage to have? They run about 38k in the Bay Area..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Laci535i Laci535i is offline
Registered User
Location: American Canyon Ca
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2009 535i
I have a 2009 with 30K the kind you are looking for. CPO plus factory warranty till June. I am in the Bay Area also (American canyon). If price is right I would be willing to sell. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Oceans10's Avatar
Oceans10 Oceans10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,499
Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
I bought mine with 61k miles, no CPO, no warranty. Do my own maintenance. There are risks in that approach, but I got the car so cheap I figured I could plow some savings back into it if needed.
BMW kindly replaced the HPFP and a new set of injectors before I took possession.
I have since replaced the mechatronic valve sleeve, added new tranny oil pan and oil at same time, changed spark plugs and ignition coils, and added a new water pump and thermostat. Also replaced front lower control arms and bushings. Did brake fluid flush.
Car has 85k miles now, nearly 2 years later.
__________________
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 prepro, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, iDock on dash
Performance: Protuned Cobb, AR Downpipes, ER FMIC/CP, DCI, RB turbos, KW V2 coilovers, AEM 320E LPFP/ported fuel rail
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayewolf View Post
Would you guys think that a 40k miles cpo one is a bit too much mileage to have? They run about 38k in the Bay Area..
The acceptable amount of mileage is really a personal choice. Some will keep their cars for 10 years regardless of the miles they got it with. Some will keep their car less than 5 yrs (like me) so a low mileage car is more important so I can retain resale value when I sell it on. Which is why I got my 550 with 20k miles.
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,113
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayewolf View Post
Would you guys think that a 40k miles cpo one is a bit too much mileage to have? They run about 38k in the Bay Area..
That is a bit much for that mileage. That's close to what I paid for my cpo that only had 26k on the odometer.
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 PM
stmoore01 stmoore01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Crystal lake, Illinois
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 142
Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport
More options

I agree CPO has some holes in it, but does cover alot of the normal mechanical issues. I mention CARFAX as it is the easiest way to identify whether or not a used car on a Brand X lot is CPO. For better coverage at a cheap price open an account at PenFed (you don't need to be a military family) and purchase the Route 66 warranty (reviewed many times on this forum) for 1895.00 Oceans would have easily recouped his investment with the items he has replaced. Another benefit is that they are offering used car rates at 1.49% for any term. Hard to beat.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM
pjinca pjinca is offline
USAF Pararescue Veteran
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,128
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore01 View Post
I agree CPO has some holes in it, but does cover alot of the normal mechanical issues. I mention CARFAX as it is the easiest way to identify whether or not a used car on a Brand X lot is CPO. For better coverage at a cheap price open an account at PenFed (you don't need to be a military family) and purchase the Route 66 warranty (reviewed many times on this forum) for 1895.00 Oceans would have easily recouped his investment with the items he has replaced. Another benefit is that they are offering used car rates at 1.49% for any term. Hard to beat.
Agreed, I went with an Extended Vehicle Protection from my credit union and got 5yr/100k mile coverage for $1800, so about the same as PenFed. It also covers electronics, so it has a leg up on CPO warranty. It's also wise to start a savings account for the odd repair that might not be covered. I plan to keep about $3k just in case.
__________________

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
booyaazaa's Avatar
booyaazaa booyaazaa is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Bay, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,113
Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
Agreed, I went with an Extended Vehicle Protection from my credit union and got 5yr/100k mile coverage for $1800, so about the same as PenFed. It also covers electronics, so it has a leg up on CPO warranty. It's also wise to start a savings account for the odd repair that might not be covered. I plan to keep about $3k just in case.
That sounds like a good deal if they cover electronics. I might have to look into a EVP since im coming up to 50k in the next week.
__________________

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
LivinSD LivinSD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 295
Mein Auto: 2010 535i
FYI, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the CPO warranty to cover the iDrive and related components for $400 - $500.

Also, Route 66 does cover electronics. I don't have direct experience with BMW and Route 66, but had them on another car (Nissan Pathfinder) a few years ago and they were excellent to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
catchabigone catchabigone is offline
Registered User
Location: NorCAl
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
we are looking at the same vehicles....I am also looking at 335d's, am test driving a loaded 5258i tomorrow in humboldt, cpo 31k for 34k will be trying to talk them down at least 2500, maybe 4k hopefully end of month and all.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Dasyhrd's Avatar
Dasyhrd Dasyhrd is offline
En Den?
Location: In a little grass shack out in da Pacific..
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 08 528i
If you are in the South Bay, go to Stevens creek bmw ask for Gordon winans. Don't get me wrong, I feel all sales people at car dealerships are slime but this guy at least made me feel good about spending my hard earned $$ on my first Bmw.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
guest0211 guest0211 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasyhrd View Post
If you are in the South Bay, go to Stevens creek bmw ask for Gordon winans. Don't get me wrong, I feel all sales people at car dealerships are slime but this guy at least made me feel good about spending my hard earned $$ on my first Bmw.
Thanks!! I dealt with Alex choi, condescending, sarcastic . I hate him.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Dasyhrd's Avatar
Dasyhrd Dasyhrd is offline
En Den?
Location: In a little grass shack out in da Pacific..
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 08 528i
Lol. Good luck I was looking for a alpine white for nearly 2 months and ended up with the coors light silver.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,386
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
With CPO, the car should be $34k to $35k -- MAX.

Remember, in three years, the car will be worth $20k to $25k. If you amortize cost plus tax down to expected resale, your cost of ownership may exceed that of a new car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayewolf View Post
I'm in the Bay Area and looking for a white 535i with sports package premium package and nav. I didn't realize how difficult this is....

I saw one today and it was around 38k with 25k miles. However, it's not certified. I asked the sales person why he said because the owner missed one oil change. I find this rather weird.

Do you think this is a good deal? I'm just worried about the maintenance cost if the something is wrong with only roughly 1 year left of the warranty.

Anything I should ask about? I need a car by the end of next month. So I do have a month to think about.

Suggestions? Thanks!!
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms