Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM
OZG F10

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
... Ironically, I could swear my 535i and x5M run best on Shell. This is my seat of the pants feel and I have no empirical data to back up that statement.
I have done several deals as an executive (for one of the global oil companies) with car manufacturers in several European countries for lubricant recommendations and it is unfortunately an investment issue. It boils down to how much they are offered for endorsing a brand.

Your seat of the pants feel is the best way to gauge gasoline, because, again, there are very minute differences between the top brands and there are so many variables involved in the process that it is almost impossible to scientifically measure the effectiveness of any given brand and compare it to others.

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)

15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230

Last edited by hufington; 02-26-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
After viewing this video I plan to continue using Costco premium, especially as it's ethanol free at my local Costco. This is an impressive, but long, presentation.

http://www.calcupa.org/videos/CUPA-2...ve_19_u2b.html
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
After viewing this video I plan to continue using Costco premium, especially as it's ethanol free at my local Costco. This is an impressive, but long, presentation.

http://www.calcupa.org/videos/CUPA-2...ve_19_u2b.html
Thanks for sharing. This is good info.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
I've tried both Shell V Power and Chevron high test in several different BMWs and could tell no difference at all. Shell gas does have a nitrogen additive that the company touts highly. Maybe Hufington knows what it does.

As for BMW's commercial ties to BP and Castrol, that fact does not in itself diminish the quality of their products, particularly the lubricants. Most car mfrs have such ties. In fact, I'm of the opinion that these partnerships can often result in improved quality of the lubes, particularly when developed with the design and metallurgy of a particular engine or family of engines in mind. The Castrol Professional SLX LL03 diesel oil for VW/Audi, and the Castrol TWS 10w60 for some M cars, comes to mind.

One of the oldest commercial partnerships/sponsorships is between Shell and Ferrari. Check out this video clip (actually a tv ad that ran in Europe), entitled "What Was That Sound", that chronicles the relationship (turn your speakers up full blast to enjoy) - - .
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
I would prefer to have a fuel without ethanol. So after reading all the comments about Shell V-Power being ethanol free, I contacted them. Their reply is below. Essentially, it says that your V-Power probably has ethanol, but in some cases it may not. Eventually, however, it will have ethanol. Also, if one grade of shell has ethanol at a station then usually all three grades have it.

"Please be advised that Shell is converting many stations to gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol due to the requirements of the EPA Renewable Fuel Standard, which applies to all gasoline brands.

Please note that the Federal Renewable Fuels Standard (RFS) places an obligation on all fuel manufacturers to blend ethanol into their gasoline. The billions of gallons of ethanol required to be blended increases each year, and it is anticipated that within a couple of years every gallon of gasoline sold in the US will need to have 10% ethanol in order for fuel manufacturers to meet this regulatory obligation.

When Shell adds ethanol to gasoline it is usually at 10%. In some western states it may be slightly less than 10%, but it is never more than 10%.

Shell gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol is approved by all vehicle manufacturers and has the new Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system and is Top Tier certified.

If a Shell station has ethanol in the gasoline, it is usually in all 3 grades, regular, mid grade and V-Power. Whether the gasoline contains ethanol or not is usually determined by local supply and marketing considerations. Since most Shell stations are owned by local wholesalers and not Shell, they can choose their own supply. However, many areas of the US are required by the EPA to use reformulated gasoline that contains ethanol. You need to check with your local station owner to see if their gasoline contains ethanol or not. All Shell stations are required to have a label on the pumps if the gasoline contains ethanol"
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
I would prefer to have a fuel without ethanol. So after reading all the comments about Shell V-Power being ethanol free, I contacted them. Their reply is below. Essentially, it says that your V-Power probably has ethanol, but in some cases it may not. Eventually, however, it will have ethanol. Also, if one grade of shell has ethanol at a station then usually all three grades have it.

"Please be advised that Shell is converting many stations to gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol due to the requirements of the EPA Renewable Fuel Standard, which applies to all gasoline brands.

Please note that the Federal Renewable Fuels Standard (RFS) places an obligation on all fuel manufacturers to blend ethanol into their gasoline. The billions of gallons of ethanol required to be blended increases each year, and it is anticipated that within a couple of years every gallon of gasoline sold in the US will need to have 10% ethanol in order for fuel manufacturers to meet this regulatory obligation.

When Shell adds ethanol to gasoline it is usually at 10%. In some western states it may be slightly less than 10%, but it is never more than 10%.

Shell gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol is approved by all vehicle manufacturers and has the new Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system and is Top Tier certified.

If a Shell station has ethanol in the gasoline, it is usually in all 3 grades, regular, mid grade and V-Power. Whether the gasoline contains ethanol or not is usually determined by local supply and marketing considerations. Since most Shell stations are owned by local wholesalers and not Shell, they can choose their own supply. However, many areas of the US are required by the EPA to use reformulated gasoline that contains ethanol. You need to check with your local station owner to see if their gasoline contains ethanol or not. All Shell stations are required to have a label on the pumps if the gasoline contains ethanol"
If you look back a few posts you will see a link that I posted that shows all current stations that are ethinol free. http://pure-gas.org/
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member

Last edited by ausdude; 02-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Just found a Shell Station close to my house that has one of the cheapest gas in my area, even cheaper than a Chevron Station that somehow is also cheaper than about every other Chevron Station or "high end gas station" in my area. Put the Shell in for the first time today, so pretty stoked about having 2 that are "cheaper" around me (mind you, my area is a more expensive gas area in my City anyway).

BTW, why are some Chevron Stations, or Shell Stations, etc., sometimes significantly cheaper than ones in even the same zip code, if not just blocks away from each other? Is this an owner-choice or something?

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.