Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Smile One week with my new F10: impressions and pictures

The motivation

Sixteen months ago, I purchased a 2011 328i (E90) to replace an aging TSX. That was my first BMW. After a while, I got totally hooked to the car and the brand. I craved for more - more powerful engine, more advanced cabin tech, and so on. Initially, I became interested in the F30, but the F10 felt so much classier both inside and outside I decided to step up in the BMW ladder.

The ordering

I placed my order via Mr. Greg Poland, a well-regarded board sponsor whom many of the Festers know personally. Greg offered me a hard-to-beat deal and was totally transparent (a rarity in the dealership business) about various leasing levers from the very beginning. If you live within 500 miles of Los Angeles and do not mind doing a little more leg-work for a no-haggle awesome price, I would highly recommend contacting Greg.

For those who are interested about a typical timeline of the custom ordering process:
12/11: Configuration emailed to Greg
12/15: Car enters production (status 150)
02/07: Car arrives in Port Hueneme, CA
02/12: Car arrives in Pacific BMW

The Delivery

I landed in the Bob Hope airport which is short drive from Pacific BMW at 1:30 pm, and I was out of the dealership at 3:00 - so the delivery process was efficient and quick.

(One interesting tidbit: lease offers from BMW became even better in February compared to December, so my monthly payment went down by another $25. Talk about serendipity!)

The first moment I set my eyes on the beautiful Alpine White F10 will forever be etched in my memory.

[Rant]
The only fly in the ointment was the F&I guy, who became downright rude after I (politely) refused the insurances he was trying to up-sell. (In fact, he mumbled something about asking my Bimmerfest buddies about the importance of Tire & Wheel Insurance ). People like him can seriously dampen the excitement of purchasing a new BMW. Thankfully, I believe the out-dated business model which car dealerships still clings to will soon be disrupted by the visionaries like Elon Musk et al.
[/Rant]

Impression after one week

I am still in the honeymoon period. I LOVE the bimmer. The design is tasteful and timeless, the ride-handling balance is superb, the gadgets are so abundant and well executed that it feels like I am driving a vehicle from the future.

535i is very different from my E90. While definitely not as nimble (but I knew that before going this route), it's vastly more powerful in straight line. The interior design, fit, and finish is also a notch (or two) above E90. Overall refinement is un-parallel. The one thing that immediately drew me into the BMW brand was the ultra-smooth straight-six engine of E90, and N55 delivers the same dose of I6 goodness which I find sorely lacking in any other I4 or V6 engines (sorry N20 fans). Sadly, F10 is so sound dampened that I seldom get to hear the sonorous engine note. Also, N55 feels less linear (w.r.t. throttle input) than N52, a possible side-effect of forced induction perhaps.

Our other car is a 2008 Lexus ES, which has the reputation of being very smooth, quiet, and ultimately a rather mundane automotive appliance. In my experience, on good pavement ES is a smooth rider; but it loses its composure when the concrete gets rougher and shows its Camry based underpinnings a bit more readily. But those roads cannot rattle the F10 even if I set the damper to sport mode. The ride remains firm, well-controlled, but never harsh. Many a times I anticipated bit of a jolt from a pot-hole ahead, but it never came! This just shows that you cannot substitute good chassis/suspension design with more insulation.

I shall stop here. When you seek every excuse to drive after purchasing a car, you know you have found your ultimate driving machine.

P.S.
Q. Can you spot the curious thing in the picture of the instrument cluster?

A. The trip odometer reads higher than the main odometer, which is a mathematical impossibility . That because both were set to 0 at factory (I guess), and the main odometer just rounds up/down the more accurate reading from the trip odometer to nearest mile!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc00603.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	363373   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc00604(1).jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	363374   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc00607.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	363375   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc00601.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	363376   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_dsc00609.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	363377  

Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Excellent Writeup, Neil.
I am one of the N20 fans but then thats because i dont need any more power.

btw, what a beautiful car!! i thought i would stop ogling at the F10, atleast after buying one.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I believe the main odometer just truncates the tenths. Really it is what I would expect to see.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
BMW aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
btw, what a beautiful car!! i thought i would stop ogling at the F10, atleast after buying one.
I know! Once I set my eyes on the F10, there was no going back to F30.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
BMW aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
I believe the main odometer just truncates the tenths. Really it is what I would expect to see.
Nope. When the trip odometer goes to 580.6 the main odometer reads 581. So it is rounding, not truncation.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
Nope. When the trip odometer goes to 580.6 the main odometer reads 581. So it is rounding, not truncation.
lol, oh snap.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
(One interesting tidbit: lease offers from BMW became even better in February compared to December, so my monthly payment went down by another $25. Talk about serendipity!)

[Rant]
The only fly in the ointment was the F&I guy, who became downright rude after I (politely) refused the insurances he was trying to up-sell. (In fact, he mumbled something about asking my Bimmerfest buddies about the importance of Tire & Wheel Insurance ). People like him can seriously dampen the excitement of purchasing a new BMW.[/Rant]
Ah, that is how my finance guy was able to offer me tire & wheel insurance included in a new lease structure that was $1 less per month than the lease structure I locked in with the sales guy in December!

Sneaky. And annoying. But not the end of the world. I was happy with my original deal. But looking back, I think I would rather have the $25/month. But again, I was really happy with my original deal so I shouldn't have reason to be bummed I didn't get an even better deal.

One way to look at it is that I paid $720 for tire & wheel insurance, assuming my monthly could have been $25 less per month just like yours (our builds are different, so the amount I could have saved is probably different, too).

But yeah, very, very sneaky. Next time I will know to ask my sales guy if lease structures have improved before it gets sent to the finance guy.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
OZG F10

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
Fantastic. Congrats on your new car. I am glad that you like her.

The finance guys are almost always bad for the mood but they just need to be ignored. At least you dealt with a very knowledgeable and pleasant sales person.

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)

15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i 6MT m sport
Congrats op. great looking car! Enjoy the honeymoon :-)
Carbon Black 2013 550i Dynamic Handling, Executive, Bang & Olufsen, BMP Apps, M Sport, Adaptive Drive, Integral Active Steering, Rear shades, Heated seats, Manual Transmition, Matte black grill, Carbon black front reflectors.

Happiness isn't about getting what you want, it is wanting what you got.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Congratulations.

And I agree completely about the F&I guys. They are on straight commission at almost all dealerships. Even though you cannot buy a car without spending time in their office, they don't make a dime if you don't buy something they are selling. Sadly, the model works because so many people seem to live in fear of all the things that might go wrong with their car. But the business model does suck. I personally have almost walked out on a deal more than once because of heavy handed F&I tactics. I've had some really goods ones too, and I salute them.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 PM
BMW aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Congratulations.

And I agree completely about the F&I guys. They are on straight commission at almost all dealerships. Even though you cannot buy a car without spending time in their office, they don't make a dime if you don't buy something they are selling. Sadly, the model works because so many people seem to live in fear of all the things that might go wrong with their car. But the business model does suck. I personally have almost walked out on a deal more than once because of heavy handed F&I tactics. I've had some really goods ones too, and I salute them.
Don't they also get a cut of the marked up MF and acquisition fee, which 99% of the BMW leasers gladly pay?

About F&I dept. -- the fear-driven model is broken and oh-so-last-century. It reeks of insincerity and corruption to Gen X-ers like me. If you pros have any strategy for tackling F&I bullies, please share.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Don't they also get a cut of the marked up MF and acquisition fee, which 99% of the BMW leasers gladly pay?

About F&I dept. -- the fear-driven model is broken and oh-so-last-century. It reeks of insincerity and corruption to Gen X-ers like me. If you pros have any strategy for tackling F&I bullies, please share.
Ditto.. I'm going into the jaws of death next week. Going to order a 535xi. Already have the price and terms set. Just don't want any surprises from F&I guy.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Congrats on your new 535i. It's good to hear about your purchasing experience with Greg Poland. Driving in SF must be fun...

Last edited by sky; 02-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHomie View Post
Ditto.. I'm going into the jaws of death next week. Going to order a 535xi. Already have the price and terms set. Just don't want any surprises from F&I guy.
You won't see the F&I guy until you pick the car up, so if you're ordering you've got time.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Congratulations.

The guy at Richmond BMW tried to work me....with my wife and two kids there, even though the kids were getting pretty rambunctious.

The guy couldn't for the life of him understand why I wouldn't want to pay up front for maintenance. I told him that I honestly was going to perform a lot of maintenance myself. His eyes about popped out of his head as he asked "what, you're a BMW mechanic?"

Serious, brakes, oil, fluids....they're all the same.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i
Quote:
Easy... Just say thanks but no thanks it's within my own personal risk tolerance...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i
Congrats! Got mine from Greg last month as well. Great color choice
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You won't see the F&I guy until you pick the car up, so if you're ordering you've got time.
But don't you workout the final payment before the car comes?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP_AGENT View Post
Easy... Just say thanks but no thanks it's within my own personal risk tolerance...
I was planning on saying that.. I'll just throw in RISK TOLERANCE..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Congrats! Thanks for the write up.

Now my most recent finance guy story:
Tire & wheel insurance is only $2,000. No thanks.
BMW's wheels are pretty expensive. That's okay, I'll put my own wheels on once I get home.
What type of wheels? BBS
Oh, our insurance will cover those. No it wont.
Certainly, it will. I'm ditching the runflats too.
Okay, nevermind.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Same here...
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: A Car!
Congrats!! Nice write-up. Enjoy your car!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM
BMW aficionado

@Dunderhi

Glad to see that you are still visiting the F10 forum.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: F11
Congratulations as well. My f11 was ordered about the same time, and arrived on 2/15 - having previously had an e39 for 12 yrs, I didn't expect such a paradigm shift in pleasure. The new model is fantastic, and I still have a big smile on my face. love your colour as well. Happy motoring!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
But don't you workout the final payment before the car comes?
Your sales guy will.

The F&I guy will try to up sell you when the car is ready for delivery.