Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
DIY Coding your BMW...so simple it is available to all!

Just to start, coding means that you can change your car to do things like...remove the gong from when you have something in the passenger seat, remove the gong when ignition is on and door is open, remove the BMW legal screen from the bootup, default the boot right into the entertainment screen, turn on DRL's (for older models), turn on your Aux Input (after installing hardware). The list goes on. And it is as easy as following the guide in the forum below, 22 steps, plug your computer into the cars port, follow these steps which are well illustrated, and you are coding!!! And it only costs $63 and takes very little time or expertise. In a nutshell, the 22 steps below do 2 things, first you download the cars settings to your computer, second you make your change and upload them back into the car. Takes 10 minutes.

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/using-ncs-exp...code-your-bmw/
*in this guide is a link to a forum with the 22 step guide with screenshots. I cannot link directly as the bimmerfest forum censored part of the address.

The coding has piqued my interest slightly over the last year or so as I watched it develop on the M5 board, it was not worth the time and effort I would need to put in. If you read the thread over there it is 80 pages long and full of people having cable and software issues. At one point Roseng was going to be in the area and was bringing his hardware but unfortunately my schedule got messed up and we did not get to meet up. But he inspired me with his efforts.

I spotted a thread by All-Or-Nothing that to be honest did not get as much traction as I think it should have. After reading his post, and communicating with Rebel.Ranter (thanks to you for the info), I researched the BM Technic solution and pulled the trigger. It is the best and easiest $63 I have ever spent.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=bm+technic

For those that are daunted by the documented install snafu's, or cable modifications, etc. there is an easier alternative. Also, reading the forum board that hosts BM's support threads I found they have fantastic customer service.

For the $63 I got:
  • Cable that requires no modification
  • NCS Expert/Inpa/Ediabas software, installed with one click (including it immediately seeks the USB cable out and installs all necessary drivers)
  • Progman
  • Last but not least, this version of NCS Expert is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7 and Windows 8.

There is an install option for Navcoder but it is a trial version that would require license purchase down the road. I can't say enough about the ease of installation for this, most people seemed to have paid close to $100 for a quality cable by itself, then you have to download the software, install, do registry changes, fight to get the cable recognized. With this one it was completely seamless and transparent.

You have seen the pros, here are the cons, which I don't think are that bad:
  • I have heard that this cable and software will only work together, so you can't use another version of NCS Expert with it. Have not verified this and don't see why I would need to! What I have now is working great.
  • It is a licensed software, before installation you have to run a software authentication script that will give you a code to send to BM Technic, they send you back a license key. This links your license to the computer you installed it on. However, should you need to move your license to another PC (old one dies, etc.) there is no additional charge for another license key. I emailed the owner about this and he even said if I buy another PC and load it on that one I can keep the license on the older one as backup, no need to unistall.

I simply followed the steps in the tutorial linked below to the letter. It is 22 very well illustrated steps, I only subsituted (of course) the appropriate CAPPL or other module at Step 9 & 19.

*in this guide is a link to a forum with the 22 step guide with screenshots. I cannot link directly as the bimmerfest forum censored part of the address.

Again, this solution only covers the cable and software, the collected knowledge of what is available to code is not from these guys. If you decide to code let me know and I can point the way on the M5board with all the documentation for where and what can be coded.

P.S. If anyone ends up buying this there are some small differences between the newest version and the screen shots above. Also, once you get it installed the M5board has a nice list of available coding options and where you go to perform them in your car's computer system.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bm installer-app.png
Views:	28785
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	363710   Click image for larger version

Name:	bm launcher.png
Views:	28332
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	363711  

Last edited by tampamark; 03-10-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Glad you got sorted Mark. As long as you don't stray from the tested & proven changes plus take your time & be careful following the right process you'll be fine. However, a cautionary note, don't assume that you can change every parameter. Some airbag module paramters for example will brick the module if not changedat the same time.

Additional Resources:

1. As mentioned in All_Or_Nothing's thread there are some useful "How to" documents out there, some are linked in that thread. The diagnostics is a must for cars like ours I think, otherwise you could end up blindly swapping parts out without ever resolving the problem.

2. Here's a shared Google Docs Spreadsheet with all the coding options for the e6x:

https://docs.google.com/a/mark-fitzg...der=true&gid=3

3. Theres plently of coding sites out there bmwcoders, bmwcoding, bimmerfo rums, all dot coms. (Didn't want to link). It is worth searching those fora for information on any particular change you're thinking of making.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Definitely, if you try and get crazy you can end up bricking your system. You don't want to do that. Personally, I only wanted a couple of cool things, which I have already done:

Turned off Seat Belt Gong - wife sets her purse in the seat, always had to have the buckle engaged.

Turned off the Ignition On/Door Open Gong

Turned on Digital Speed readout from GPS in center console

Disabled Legal Notice screen on Idrive bootup

Enable boot directly to Entertainment Menu

I may turn on my DRL's since my 2006 does not have that option in Idrive. Other than that I am not going to push the envelope. I may end up installing and enabling my Aux In.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention NCS Dummy!

NCS Dummy is a program developed by a user called Revtor. If you google "NCS Dummy" it will bring you to a foru thread on the subject. He regularly updates the tool with additional functionality & features. It is avalable for free download in that discussion thread.

Main Feature of NCS Dummy:

- Provides english translation of the FSW_PSW files you read from your individual modules. If you have NCS you will know that all the Trace files (FSW_PSW) are in German, what with BMW being a German company and all!

- Identifies the options, e.g. "aktiv"/"nicht_aktiv" or "wert_02"/"wert_03" for each parameter on the module

- Allows you to compare two FSW_PSW files, e.g if you wanted to see what was different between one car & another

- Has a function that allows you to create a write file or manipulation file (FSW_PSW.MAN), you simply tick the option you want on a particular parameter.

I have attached an Export from NCS Dummy to give you an idea what the output looks like. This export was done without even loading up a module.

Just remember for coding purposes our e63/e64 are considered to be an e60.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E60-CAS3.pdf (29.9 KB, 2067 views)

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 02-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Just dont try to update your ccc with winkfp unless you are really patient. Updated mine and ill nevervdo it again lol. Coding is pretty safe though

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
After reading a post on a coding thread a couple of weeks ago mentioning BT Technic, I researching them and decided to hold off on using my purchased cable (from the states) and software from china (eBay) and purchased the coding platform from BT Technic. Its been about 10 days since they shipped it (don't know how long it takes to get to California) and I'm eagerly awaiting for it to arrive.
I bought a used mini PC to dedicate to the car and installed Windows XP on it already.
My intimidation is cut down considerably now reading your thread. Cant wait to try it out, Thanks.....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Mine shipped on 2/11 and arrived on 2/22. So yours should take maybe 4 to 5 days longer to cross the U.S.?

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already downloaded and run the hardware key generator from the link he sent you do it. That way you have your key ready for when it arrives.

I had some confusion and Chris was very responsive, the new version of the software is accurate in the 22 steps in the forum site that Chris uses. But some of the screens are different so it threw me off. I emailed him and he promptly let me know that all was good. Go to his site, then click the bottom most link for the How To Guide for setting the Folding Mirrors on an E9x. Once it takes you to the support forum the 22 step guid is listed with screenshots.

On the initial screen on Step 1, mine was in German, his is in English. This is normal as the new version of software is only in German. Only the FILE/LOAD PROFILE is german, the rest is the same as his screenshots. Just follow the prompts, click file then the very first selection and you are fine.

Select BM Technic Expert in Step 2 as opposed to what is shown in the tutorial, which is just ExpertMode

In Step 17, just select Load Profile just like in Step 1, then select BM Technic Manpilator (or something like that, don't have it on right now), the tutorial shows Revtor's NCS Expert Profile.

All other steps are the same.

Are you familiar with the Modules? These are what you select in Step 9. Anyway, if you need more Module info let me know and I can point the way a bit or someone else will, gotta retire for the night so I am OUT.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
I guess you don't need a computer science degree after all.

Thank you tampamark for posting this up!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Tampa where did you purchase from? I looked all over the thread but didn't see anything (sorry if you did and I didn't see it).
I want to get the cable and software. ASAP.
Thanks buddy!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
Tampa where did you purchase from? I looked all over the thread but didn't see anything (sorry if you did and I didn't see it).
I want to get the cable and software. ASAP.
Thanks buddy!!
http://bmtechnic.co.uk/

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
Thanks Coug60- I went to the site and it says no new orders till the 28th (what is that all about)?

Thanks for the link I will try later!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Mine shipped on 2/11 and arrived on 2/22. So yours should take maybe 4 to 5 days longer to cross the U.S.?

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already downloaded and run the hardware key generator from the link he sent you do it. That way you have your key ready for when it arrives.

I had some confusion and Chris was very responsive, the new version of the software is accurate in the 22 steps in the forum site that Chris uses. But some of the screens are different so it threw me off. I emailed him and he promptly let me know that all was good. Go to his site, then click the bottom most link for the How To Guide for setting the Folding Mirrors on an E9x. Once it takes you to the support forum the 22 step guid is listed with screenshots.

On the initial screen on Step 1, mine was in German, his is in English. This is normal as the new version of software is only in German. Only the FILE/LOAD PROFILE is german, the rest is the same as his screenshots. Just follow the prompts, click file then the very first selection and you are fine.

Select BM Technic Expert in Step 2 as opposed to what is shown in the tutorial, which is just ExpertMode

In Step 17, just select Load Profile just like in Step 1, then select BM Technic Manpilator (or something like that, don't have it on right now), the tutorial shows Revtor's NCS Expert Profile.

All other steps are the same.

Are you familiar with the Modules? These are what you select in Step 9. Anyway, if you need more Module info let me know and I can point the way a bit or someone else will, gotta retire for the night so I am OUT.
Will do on the key generator...
I am a complete novice on coding.... I'm familiar with modules, that is to say I know they exist and are responsible for so much that happens with our cars and are programed individually to say, to get things to happen or not happen. I am pretty handy with a computer and was going to start out simple and slow but any info you have on them would be greatly appreciated. Without seeing the software yet I was hoping it was going to pretty much be menu driven....

Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
Thanks Coug60- I went to the site and it says no new orders till the 28th (what is that all about)?

Thanks for the link I will try later!!!
Maybe "the man" Chris is on Holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
Will do on the key generator...
I am a complete novice on coding.... I'm familiar with modules, that is to say I know they exist and are responsible for so much that happens with our cars and are programed individually to say, to get things to happen or not happen. I am pretty handy with a computer and was going to start out simple and slow but any info you have on them would be greatly appreciated. Without seeing the software yet I was hoping it was going to pretty much be menu driven....
Slow is good, no rush with this stuff. Do you have a laundry list of changes? For instance, to add Digital Speed to the center display available through the BC stalk button, you would go to:

KOMBI

find: bc_digital_v
change from nicht_aktiv to aktiv

If you look at the step by step guide the selection of the Module occurs in Step 9, the screen will look like the picture below. This is from the tutorial, it illustrates that they will open the NFRM module. For the Digital Speed change above you would scroll through the list and select KOMBI instead:

This is what the file will look like that you change the NICHT_AKTIV value, again this is a general example:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ncs expert.jpg
Views:	28017
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	363906   Click image for larger version

Name:	ncs expert2.jpg
Views:	27834
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	363907  
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Some changs need modifications to more than oe control unit, for example the pathway lighting operated via key fob, here'smy car with it enabled:

For this feature you need to change something in the CAS & LMA.

All the modules have a 3 or 4 letter acronym that don't always translate well in to english. For example the CAS is the car access system & it controls all things related to the locking, keys, etc. LMA is the light control module & that controls the lights. There are less obvious names for them too like the Restraint/Airbag system, this is known as the ACSM or MRS. I have attached the Technical Acronyms document to this post to give you help in identifying which module does what. It's not a complete list but its a start.

I also included all the option codes that were available on BMW cars. If you use a site like www.bmwvin.com, input the last 7 digits of your VIN, you then get the options that were specifically fitted to your car. The build spec if you will. This list explains them a llittle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_Technical_Acronyms.pdf (66.5 KB, 1080 views)
File Type: pdf BMW & Mini Option Codes.pdf (58.7 KB, 1856 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Guides

Here's some guides to help you learn how to code.

- There's 3 "how to" coding guides
- Then two guides on how to add options to your car by modifying the vechicle order (VO), e.g. adding the iPod interface.
- Finally there's one that shows you how to properly defualt a module back to factory settings.

By reading the three "how to" guides you'll notice that the procedure is the same, however it is nice to read different perspectives on how to do it in order to form your own understanding.

Most people never really go near the modify VO piece, however it is what you might need to do if you were physically retrofitting an original BMW option, e.g. iPod integration unit, folding mirrors, HuD,....

Happy reading!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NCS Expertmode coding DIY.pdf (773.7 KB, 1941 views)
File Type: pdf USING NCS TO CHANGE VO.pdf (1,022.4 KB, 1272 views)
File Type: pdf NCS_DIY for E63_E64.pdf (1.88 MB, 1355 views)
File Type: pdf NCS_Changing_the_Vehicle_Order_CAS.pdf (1.56 MB, 1168 views)
File Type: pdf NCS Expertmode coding - default a module 1.pdf (624.0 KB, 1197 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: E64 650I CAB
Very interesting!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
WOW! Sweet.... I spent weeks configuring a laptop and virtuall machines to do this very stuff in 2011. It is great to see the tool set is getting easier to use! Very nice. One of the things I loved about my baby was the ability to program her. Have fun with these new toys everyone.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Woo Hoo I have my BMW Technic cable also. I even started another thread about it.

For the price, ease of installation, and what you actually get, there is no other choice.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e63
Thanks for the info Mark....
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I spotted a thread by All-Or-Nothing that to be honest did not get as much traction as I think it should have. After reading his post, and communicating with Rebel.Ranter (thanks to you for the info), I researched the BM Technic solution and pulled the trigger. It is the best and easiest $63 I have ever spent.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=bm+technic
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Woo Hoo I have my BMW Technic cable also. I even started another thread about it.

For the price, ease of installation, and what you actually get, there is no other choice.
In my original post I actually linked your first post, you and REBEL.RANTER where the reason I ended up getting the BM Technic package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
Here's some guides to help you learn how to code.

- There's 3 "how to" coding guides
- Then two guides on how to add options to your car by modifying the vechicle order (VO), e.g. adding the iPod interface.
- Finally there's one that shows you how to properly defualt a module back to factory settings.

By reading the three "how to" guides you'll nlotice that the procedure is the same, however it is nice to read different perspectives on how to do it in order to form your own understanding.

Most people never really go near the modify VO piece, however it is what you might need to do if you were physically retrofitting an original BMW option, e.g. iPod integration unit, folding mirrors, HuD,....

Happy reading!
Listen to Rebel, he knows more about this stuff than I could ever think to, or want to, know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertoxikitin View Post
Thanks for the info Mark....
Always good to hear from you Alberto!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Quote:
It is a licensed software, before installation you have to run a software authentication script that will give you a code to send to BM Technic, they send you back a license key. This links your license to the computer you installed it on. However, should you need to move your license to another PC (old one dies, etc.) there is no additional charge for another license key. I emailed the owner about this and he even said if I buy another PC and load it on that one I can keep the license on the older one as backup, no need to unistall.

This is not the case if you purchase the BLACK cable. License key is only needed on the WHITE cable. I already have the programs loaded on three seperate Laptops since one didn't like VMplayer and another has a bad battery.

Last edited by All-Or-Nothing; 02-28-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
In my original post I actually linked your first post, you and REBEL.RANTER where the reason I ended up getting the BM Technic package.
LOL! I should be getting a commission from yer man Chris in BMTechnic!

I'm no expert, but have done a good bit of coding to many cars & I have a solid technical background. As I said before if you are a novice you only need to stick to the well proven changes to avoid trouble. Follow the coding guides exactly & you'll be fine.

Ideally before you attempt to do any coding the car should be free of errors, at least no errors on the module you are coding. I really like DIS for error finding/troubleshooting. INPA is quick but offers little support in getting to the cause of the fault. Also because it is a factory tool many of the files are in German so you have a language barrier there too. Some of the files for modules are in English, I think the only reason why those ones are in English is because those moduels are used in BMW cars built in the US factories. I could be wrong on that but it seems the most plausible.

Warning!

Finally don't attempt to code with a really weak battery (in either the car or the laptop battery), you don't want some obscure error arising due to a faulty config write. I had a laptop die on me mid-code on a 2008 e60. It failed on the KOMBI (instrument cluster). However immediately after the laptop died the airbag light & airbag faults showed up, also a CANSYS error. No amount of error clearing with INPA or DIS would work! To resolve the issue I had to re-code the KOMBI with a default code (guide in post above), then I was able to clear the airbag errors. How many people would have figured that one out? If I brought that car to a thrid party would they have known what to do, afterall it was the ACSM (airbag) that was showing errors. They would probaby recommended a new ACSM module & who would blame them for making that diagnosis? All the modules in the car are networked together on the CAN bus so I figured that the KOMBI was blocking the ACSM (Airbag module) from commuicating on the CAN bus.

Moral of story:

- Always ensure a fully charged car & laptop battery
- Remember every step you took in case of disaster

Last edited by rebel.ranter; 03-01-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Software Platform

Well I got my BM Technic software last Friday.
I had bought a little used Mini PC to run the program on but have changed my mind and bought a very nice used LENOVO IBM T61 THINKPAD LAPTOP XP DVD DUAL CORE 2.0GHZ/3GB/120GB/14" on eBay and should get here in a few days... I plan on doing a little video on the software install as there seems to be a little confusion. Hopefully Ill get it right the first time...

BM Technic computer requirements are as follows...

Computer System Requirements

Dual Core Processor running at least 1.6Ghz, 1 Gigabyte (GB) of memory
20GB of free harddisk space on C:\ Drive (or 40GB free if you wish to use SSS Progman)
DVD Drive, USB2.0 Port (if you only have USB3.0 a USB2.0 Hub can be used), Internet Connection,

Any of the following versions of Windows:

Windows XP
Windows Vista (32bit & 64bit)
Windows 7 (32bit & 64bit)
Windows 8 (32bit & 64bit)

Due to complex operations carried out by the installer system you must disable your anti-virus software during the installation process. When using the DIS and SSS tools you may also need to disable your firewall to prevent car connection problems. If you do not agree to this then please do not purchase this product.

My question is: What would be the best Windows platform to run the software on (Ive only been using Mac's for the longest time)? I don't plan on installing any antivirus software as I will only connect to the car, and to the internet only when required for software updates
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	364408  

Last edited by coug60; 03-01-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM

The best platform to use is Windows XP Service Pack 3. Anything newer is just a waste of computer resources (HD space & RAM usage).
Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM

I used a 10 year old laptop. It needed more memory so I swiped some out of my newer work laptop and threw it in to use until the memory I ordered arrived. I upgraded from 512k to 1.5gb. For some of the software you need at least 1gb of memory.

My laptop works fine, it has:

Windows XP Service Pack 2
1.73ghz processor Single Core
DVD drive