Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: NotABMW
2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Good morning.

I have been looking at a 2007 328xi Wagon (100,000 miles) recently and am rather curious as to the community's thoughts on the performance and mechanical circumstances surrounding this car. I have polled quite a few people and read numberous reviews, but it seems the former is a mixed bag and the latter don't really provide accurate long-term tests. As such, I figured I would poll those who know BMWs best. Specifically, I had questions pertaining to the following:
  • Long term potential mechanical issues
  • The most common parts to require replacement
  • Potential issues of which I should be aware once the vehicle reaches mileage milestones of 125k, 150k, 175k, etc.
  • Performance of the car in wet conditions and snowy conditions (although I know appropriate tires play a significant factor)
  • Overall performance of the car (e.g. I have read that the acceleration of the car if not in sport mode can be rather dull).

Any sort of knowledge and/or advice would be much appreciated. I have wanted an all-wheel drive bimmer for a while, and considering the next 328xi wagon is over 300 miles away I would like to jump on the chance while I have it.

All Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Well, I did a little digging and found out there are some forums and threads surrounding reliability and mechanics. Shame on me for forgetting my forum etiquette.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Dull without a manual transmission.

Dull without a manual transmission.

Head Bolt breakage and valve ticking are the two known faults.
They don't seem to be happening at a large enough rate to cause
a big stink.

Water pump at around 90k average

Battery replacement due to battery registration . (lots of threads on this)

Run Flat tires are crap and no spare (lots of threads on this)

Lifetime fluid policy (Google Mike Miller BMW for the old school maintenance schedule
which has a history of maintenance policy's.)
I would guess this would be due for all the fluids , filters and spark plugs to be changed
inspect under the oil filler cap for sludge build up do to long oil changes.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=627435

Performs nicely in the snow

Last edited by ctuna; 02-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
The base E91 wagon weighs a tad over 3,500 pounds. But adding Steptronic and AWD brings it close to 2 tons.

My '07 wagon with manual transmission and rear wheel drive accelerates very nicely. Figure about 6/10 seconds longer 0~60 with Steptronic and probably another second with AWD. BTW, as it isn't needed in Maryland, I'm not understanding your desire for AWD in Florida.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
dull without a manual transmission.
+1
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
The base E91 wagon weighs a tad over 3,500 pounds. But adding Steptronic and AWD brings it close to 2 tons.

My '07 wagon with manual transmission and rear wheel drive accelerates very nicely. Figure about 6/10 seconds longer 0~60 with Steptronic and probably another second with AWD. BTW, as it isn't needed in Maryland, I'm not understanding your desire for AWD in Florida.
My E91 with AT has plenty of pull under ordinary circumstances but I wouldn't call it "fast" by any means. I can't even remember the last time I thought "Gee, I wish I had more power....". But, recently when I had a F30 as a loaner, and got to experience the performance of the new turbo 4, I was aware that a more powerful engine can be fun.

Overall though, I don't have complaints about power.

I do think the AT blunts the performance though and think the car is happier when paired with a manual.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
BTW, as it isn't needed in Maryland, I'm not understanding your desire for AWD in Florida.
My thoughts about this are mixed as I want AWD for trips to the mountains (specifically, skiing) and a possible move to Colorado. I like to plan ahead for these possibilities. However, seeing as these are merely plans and nothing has coalesced, it leaves me torn.