Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 7 series 1996
Question 96 740iL - Not starting "power to car none to engine"

hello all im having a major issue with my 740il 1996 car, one day i left on my key ignition and radio it drain the battery, i tryied starting it- it didnt so i forced it several times then it went blank no power, i jump start it every thing else work accept for it to start i ask a freind of mines he only think its some form of security feature he said CAN ANY ONE ASSIST OR HELP ME PLZ THANKS
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Do you jumped the car from engine bay or from the trunk?
Have you checked fuses in the trunk above the battery and in the engine bay if they are OK?
No lights are coming ON? Still have the dead battery or new one?
You might "fried the fuse" for starter or relay.

Last edited by joyism5; 12-01-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
Smile Non start

I jumped started my dead flat 730 battery from another car after accidently leaving my ignition switched on and I had left my key in the ignition and in the run position and in doing so I spiked my key and I wrecked it as the car would not start, It would start with my spare key though, So in my opinion sadly you need to buy a new key from BMW, PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS, YOU CAN ONLY GET A FULLY WORKING KEY FROM A BMW AGENT & NOT FROM EBAY OR ANYWHERE ELSE NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY SAYS ON THIS SITE, Peter.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 740il
have had this issue in the past too.. try to put a completely new battery in it first then start by checking the fuses... another issue might be ur starter is going out or has a short in completing a full circuit from positive to negative ends.... another issue iv had with other cars (not the beamer) is that the wires in the ignition needed care/ replacing/ rewiring. Hope this helps!

1990 s13 drift car
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Similar Problem

Hey Everyone, I'm looking at a 96 740. Windshield says it has an electrical problem. Talked to the owner. He said it had started to rain one day. His son went out to shut the sunroof and a window. And he left the key in the on possition. When they went to start it, they of course had to jump it. All the dash lights come on. But, it won't turn over, til they short across the posts on the starter. Even then it doesn't start and run. To me it sounds like it could be a relay, or two. Question: If the chip in the key was bad. Would it even light up the dash lights? The owner says the dealership is telling him it may take anywhere from five to fifteen hours to find and fix. I have read all your comments here in the form. Most of which the dealership told the owner. I guess i'm looking for a good starting point. Is there any way to test the key? Does it sound like it could be the computer? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Yes, the dash lights are coming on, even with the chip fried. The chip will not comunicate with immobilizer module, and because of that , DME does not engage : starter (for sure) , fuel pump (maybe) ignition relay(maybe) or crankshaft position sensor information is not considered (maybe). With another words, I don't think you are able to trick the DME without the microchip. The Germans made that difficult for thefts.
Testing the key...I don't think you can, at least I don't know how. Instead, the owner only can order a valet key wich should start the engine if that's the case.
The regular key cost around $200-$300 and the valet key is around $70 I think. For E39 is $60.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 635 CSi BMW 730i E38
Smile Non start

Do you have a spare key ? If yes then see if your car will start, If yes then you have spiked your key and you will have to buy a new key, Please take note of this info, You CAN ONLY get a fully working key from a BMW main agent and nowhere else and forget what adverts tell you on ebay, I jump started my 730i some years ago and I wrecked my key by having it in the ignition with it in the run position and when I connected the battery jump leads it spiked the key, So try your spare key first, Peter.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
re

Just because you have lights ignition or exterior does not mean there is enough juice to start the car my advice is remove the battery have it checked and charged out of the car to a full charge and if needed reprogram you key after you reinstall it
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
Thanks

I want to thank the guys that answered my question! I will let the owner know what i found out. Course it will probably mess up me buying the car cheap, cheap, cheap. Oh Well! Again, Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima, Jeep, TR6,
Am I reading that when replacing the battery, that I would have to reprogram the key in order to get it to start?
Am looking at purchase of a 740 but currently have a 328 and have not run into a problem like this, with it, as yet.
Danke.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
There are 2 things here: Each of the usual 2 keys can be *programmed* independently such that seat and mirror settings can be different for each key - a his n hers arrangment if you like. Secondly, the keys have to be *initialised* at the same time, usually if you have lost the use of the buttons, or you obtain a dealer replacement key. Even if initialisation is required, the central locking should still work via the door/boot locks, and the car should still start, given sufficient battery power

Initialise: Get in car with all keys, close doors. Key 1 - switch ignition On, then Off within 5 seconds. Remove key. *Within 30 seconds press and hold unlock button and keeping it pressed, briefly press lock button x3 within 10 seconds. Release unlock button. Key 1 LED flashes, doors will lock then unlock indicating success. Key2 - Repeat from*(that is within the original 30 seconds)
If the keys have been programmed as described, you may find that the memory settings for each key reversed. This is because they should be initialised in the same order as they done at the factory, but you won't know that...