Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's hard not to think of a stripped F30 as a "lesser" car because so much is lost by eschewing some of the packages, especially Sport line or DHP.
I see your point. Thankfully my new F30 will be a Sport with DHP
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
I cannot stand the wood trims
You're not alone. I chose brushed aluminum, as I think it looks way better. But then I've seen other people say that aluminum looks horrible. To each their own.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
You're not alone. I chose brushed aluminum, as I think it looks way better. But then I've seen other people say that aluminum looks horrible. To each their own.

I love the Anthracite wood as it has the feel of "steel" but is in the form of glossy ash wood. I think some of the pushback on aluminum and the other woods is that they stand out as another color in the interior. Anthracite does the best job of blending in with the black dash components, looks classy and elevated but does not jump out and violate the way the others do.

Quote:
I see your point. Thankfully my new F30 will be a Sport with DHP
Touchdown!

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
BJ was pretty clear in post 117: "It's one thing in multiple sizes." I also agree with Jamesonsviggen that each model offers additional luxury features as they grow in both cost and size. I have nothing against the 3er, as I have one parked in my garage right now, but my 5er was more luxious than my 3er and my 6er is more luxious than my 5er. Interestingly enough, as the price increases, so does the luxury content. Go figure. The luxury content has nothing to do with getting from point A to point B, but it can affect how you feel wheel travelling from point A to point B. Going from 12-way adjustable seats to 18-way to 20-way fines tunes the comfort. Other luxury items have nothing to do with comfort, so I'm still not sure why having ceramic controls is better than having the chrome-look plastic, but a Rolex doesn't keep time as well as a Timex, so I guess it is one of those intrinsic luxury features that people seem to covet.
I love the extra luxury touches found in the 5, 6, and 7. Thicker padding, more sumptuous leather, fantastic stitching, better controls, more LED's, the works.

As one steps up through the sausage sizes, the quality of the sausage improves as well. It's not just layering on more features, but taking the F30's great set of amenities and making them even more substantial.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
I love the extra luxury touches found in the 5, 6, and 7. Thicker padding, more sumptuous leather, fantastic stitching, better controls, more LED's, the works.

As one steps up through the sausage sizes, the quality of the sausage improves as well. It's not just layering on more features, but taking the F30's great set of amenities and making them even more substantial.

BJ
I stand corrected.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Halogens are so antiquated. Xenons should be standard with LEDs being the upgrade. C'mon BMW!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 03-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: '13 f30 n26
Quote:
I love the Anthracite wood as it has the feel of "steel" but is in the form of glossy ash wood. I think some of the pushback on aluminum and the other woods is that they stand out as another color in the interior. Anthracite does the best job of blending in with the black dash components, looks classy and elevated but does not jump out and violate the way the others do.
BJ
for you maybe, but not for me.. wood trim and anything other than black interior is a deal breaker for me

different strokes for different folks
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
for you maybe, but not for me.. wood trim and anything other than black interior is a deal breaker for me

different strokes for different folks
My car came with the wood. I wanted the aluminum hex over black. For nothing I switched with a guy who had a brand new MSport. Worked out perfect. His car had tan interior and the aluminum just didn't look right.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Would you like to have choice to pick any of the options available on a 7 Series, but in a smaller 3 Series package? It might be an $80k 3er, but it will satisfy BJ's theory that they are similar luxury cars, just different sizes. The Alpina B3 in the other thread might be such a car.
I would have loved that! The main reason I moved from E90 to F10 was the much nicer interior of the F10. Sadly, automakers everywhere operate under the principle of bigger car ==> more luxury. So you can have either more luxurious appointment, or more driving pleasure, but not both. IMO, the 3er strikes a damn fine balance between the two if appropriately configured. That's why it's universally lauded and an perpetual best seller.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
The luxury content has nothing to do with getting from point A to point B, but it can affect how you feel wheel travelling from point A to point B.
Well, it certainly can, but in no way the default is that you "feel better". If A is "house" and B is "Nordstrom" than yes, but if A is "Start" and B is "Finish" than most definitely not.

Even if you are traveling from your house to Nordstrom but you are seeing them as "Start" and "Finish", I'd rather have sport doodads than luxury in order to feel better

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Luxury Series..
Quote:
Hopefully, you can acknowledge there is a bit more difference other than size when comparing a $50k 3 Series to a $100k 7 Series. I've owned BMWs with four different leathers. I'm not a fan of the their Nevada or Dakota leathers. Merino is okay, but I'm not sure why it is BMW's top of the line leather. This leaves Nappa as my favorite BMW leather. That said, smooth/soft Nappa isn't for young children, but I would probably want leatherette in that situation.

3 = Leatherette (Dakota optional)
5 = Dakota (Nappa optional)
7 = Nappa (Merino optional)

Back on subject:
3 = Halogen (HID optional)
5 = HID
7 = HID (LED Optional)

After owning each type of BMW headlights, HIDs are well worth their $900 premium over halogens and LEDs are well worth the $1,900 premium over the HIDs.
I wish that we could get Nappa leather and multi contour seats in the 3 series. I'd have been all over that. Have to deal with the choices that they give you though.

I've never driven in a car with LED headlights. I'm just curious, what is it that makes then worth the premium price?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Well, it certainly can, but in no way the default is that you "feel better". If A is "house" and B is "Nordstrom" than yes, but if A is "Start" and B is "Finish" than most definitely not.

Even if you are traveling from your house to Nordstrom but you are seeing them as "Start" and "Finish", I'd rather have sport doodads than luxury in order to feel better
You can have both like I did on my 550 and all of its Dinan mods. I felt good in that car whether I was at the dragstrip or chauffeuring Mrs D on a shopping junket. Okay, I felt better at the dragstrip, but please don't tell Mrs D.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post
I wish that we could get Nappa leather and multi contour seats in the 3 series. I'd have been all over that. Have to deal with the choices that they give you though.

I've never driven in a car with LED headlights. I'm just curious, what is it that makes then worth the premium price?
They provide a purer white light with broader coverage area rather than a beam. The pattern is also a bit more symmetric rather than having the look that one light is pointed higher than the other. All in all, everything in front of you is lit up pretty clearly.

Last edited by dunderhi; 03-07-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Did a side-by-side comparison this evening
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
For arguments sake...
3=ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY, assistant to so and so-aspirational
5=MIDDLE WEIGHT, middle management LUXURY -getting there
7=LUXURY LUXURY, boss man-arrived
Now I am thoroughly confused.

As the owner of a 3 Series and a 7 Series I am not sure if I should fire myself or ask myself for a raise.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Now I am thoroughly confused.

As the owner of a 3 Series and a 7 Series I am not sure if I should fire myself or ask myself for a raise.

CA
Yell out in a stern voice for someone to get you coffee...then get up and get yourself coffee.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Yell out in a stern voice for someone to get you coffee...then get up and get yourself coffee.
LOL. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
LOL. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself
Quote:

Touchdown!

BJ
I have the same interior color as your car, BJ. Difference is the wood. I love to see the grain patterns in wood and that's the reason I chose "the other wood". Still, I like the wood in your car better than aluminum...geez, how long before that goes out of fashion?

Luxury interiors in cars for the last umpteen years have meant leather and wood! That's what I saw as a young Airman stationed in Europe in the late 50's and later on. Mercedes,
Jaguars, etc, wood and aromatic leather.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
They provide a purer white light with broader coverage area rather than a beam. The pattern is also a bit more symmetric rather than having the look that one light is pointed higher than the other. All in all, everything in front of you is lit up pretty clearly.
Thank You for the explanation.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugH View Post
I have the same interior color as your car, BJ. Difference is the wood. I love to see the grain patterns in wood and that's the reason I chose "the other wood". Still, I like the wood in your car better than aluminum...geez, how long before that goes out of fashion?

Luxury interiors in cars for the last umpteen years have meant leather and wood! That's what I saw as a young Airman stationed in Europe in the late 50's and later on. Mercedes,
Jaguars, etc, wood and aromatic leather.
I like their interiors. They keep those because some things are just Timeless and don't go out of style.

I Realllllllllly like carbon fiber, but I wouldn't put it in our luxury edition........Now if we had an M Sport, the car would be dipped in carbon fiber!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328ix sedan/2010 X3
Well, this started as a discussion of the lighting. I also have a new '13 328ix with halogens. I miss the HID's I had in my '08 335xi too. But, that's life. BMW has a 'High Performance' replacement H7 bulb available on their website, $63 for a pair. Anyone have any experience with those? I wonder if I'd also need to replace the high beams with those too, to keep everything consistent?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
It says they are $41 alone or $166 installed once you put in the zip code of your "center". I may look into it if I ever move out of the city. I can't even tell my headlights are on half the time!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328i, '03 525
The headlamps on our 2013 328 were adjusted too low, so I looked around a bit for adjustment advice. One thing I found astounded me. This person recommended turning the nylon adjusters - one on each side for lateral adjustment, one on each side for vertical adjustment - with a flat-blade screwdriver. You could do that, I suppose, but that nylon nut is intended for a metric hex, or Allen wrench. Better to use one of those. For what it's worth, the adjustment system is exactly the same as on my MCS Clubman. No surprise there.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
Has anyone tried the h7 bulb Phil has suggested? I would really be interested in the results.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
Has anyone tried the h7 bulb Phil has suggested? I would really be interested in the results.
The upgraded H7 bulb philbake1 inquired about is actually Philips' X-treme Vision product in OE packaging.

Amazon.com product page including pricing and reviews

Typical comparison between OE halogen headlamp bulbs and Philips X-treme Vision (your results may vary):