Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Is there customary way of determining build date? A card in my owners folder has a barcode card with November 7, 2012 20:23. Is that it?

Contacted BMW/NA and have scheduled appointment tomorrow to get car inspected at local dealer and order replacement parts.
There is a sticker on the inside of your drivers door that shows the build date. Not the tire pressure sticker, but near there.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
There is a sticker on the inside of your drivers door that shows the build date. Not the tire pressure sticker, but near there.
You can also put the last 7 digits of your vin into bmwvin.com

My build date is 7-25-12 for example.

I was already to demand my dealer replace my seats, but I looked and so far there is nothing.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Walter View Post

I thought that the OP might be getting a little hysterical but then I saw the images. I might accept the dealer not noticing that, since they are unlikely to be peeking around the bottom of the seat frames but... someone somewhere along the production line must have seen examples of this and should have stopped the line.

Hope the OP gets those suckers replaced.
i believe that the issue is cropping up post production-- there was a batch of seats made by lear that didnt have the correct corrosion resist coating applied. the rust probably starts when the car is exposed to moist salt air while being shipped to the dealer, and if its a lot car, gets worse sitting there.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i believe that the issue is cropping up post production-- there was a batch of seats made by lear that didnt have the correct corrosion resist coating applied. the rust probably starts when the car is exposed to moist salt air while being shipped to the dealer, and if its a lot car, gets worse sitting there.
This.

There would be nothing to catch during a QA inspection post assembly. Climates can be all over the place once cars are shipped.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list

Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
This.

There would be nothing to catch during a QA inspection post assembly. Climates can be all over the place once cars are shipped.
What?? Are you saying there aren't a bunch of greedy fat BMW execs sitting around wondering how to make Pappy Pipe's life miserable? Lol
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
What?? Are you saying there aren't a bunch of greedy fat BMW execs sitting around wondering how to make Pappy Pipe's life miserable? Lol
LOL, guess so.

I have had to do QA and do QA audits where I was getting factories up and running to make them more efficient(after designing the product they were building in the first place).

You can imagine our dismay when things were arriving at retailers F-d up. Things were being affected by the temperature and conditions of the container during the 30 days of being on the water.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM

I know I'm being an ass here but I really can't understand why people get worked up about these things. Being slightly upset is understandable. Wanting to call the media and going crazy is very characteristic of our arrogant self centered society. The way I see it; if you have a problem with your car call the dealer and get it fixed. If they give you a hard time then you escalate. This guy flipped out before even calling. Had he called they would tell him to bring in the car and replace the seats. But he's too busy calling Anderson Cooper. People nowadays have no perspective in life. End rant
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Quote:
I know I'm being an ass here
Keep on trolling, OMAR.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Keep on trolling, OMAR.
I think you need to take a closer look at the definition of a troll...

I am glad BMW is taking car of your seats though.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
i know i'm being an ass here but i really can't understand why people get worked up about these things. Being slightly upset is understandable. Wanting to call the media and going crazy is very characteristic of our arrogant self centered society. The way i see it; if you have a problem with your car call the dealer and get it fixed. If they give you a hard time then you escalate. This guy flipped out before even calling. Had he called they would tell him to bring in the car and replace the seats. But he's too busy calling anderson cooper. People nowadays have no perspective in life. End rant
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy pipes View Post
keep on trolling, omar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
i think you need to take a closer look at the definition of a troll...

I am glad bmw is taking car of your seats though.
+1

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
did the OP burn his car down?
in front of BMW?

If not, then his reaction was normal...yes, that is our new gauge for normalcy when discovering rusty seats on our F30's.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
It's unbelievable that people who buy NEW BMW's are putting up with rust issues. Fortunately for those of us on F01 based chassis cars we have totally different suppliers.

Hopefully it gets resolved for you. And to those who think he's over-reacting.... NOTHING is worse than RUST on your new car. Not to mention, how poorly the finish around that seat is to even be able to see it (it's as if shoddy work was designed to show off shoddy work, lol).

I hate to say this, but BMW is one of the (to be fair, vast many) companies who's products I would never buy until at minimum the last remaining months of the first Model Year (really though, I preferably wouldn't until the second model year). The F10 had its fair share of software glitches and such where I wasn't even comfortable until 2013 models came out all ironed out.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 12 328i ED & 11 328i ED
OP I seriously think you need to keep things in perspective. Does the car run properly? Do you like the way it drives? This is a very minor cosmetic issue that for the most part is completely invisible. Let the dealer fix it and focus on all of the positive things about your car. Sorry you're having a bad experience, but I strongly urge you to try to maintain some perspective. I, for one, am one of the most obsessive compulsive car guys you will ever meet. My seat frames have some surface corrosion like yours do. When the car goes in for a regular service I will have it fixed. But no way am I allowing this really minor issue to interfere with my enjoyment of the rest of the car.

Here's a suggestion - take your car to a track day and/or autocross. I promise you will forget all about your seat bases!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM

There is a difference between structural rust and surface/cosmetic rust.

If I found structural rust on a mounting point or some kind of suspension related item...that's BAD. This, a coating issue on the underside of the seat that would never become structural...that is a nuisance and the dealer will make it right. So no biggie.

My car came with an annoying flaw in the windshield, it distorted highway lines and guardrails out of the corner of my eye. It was distracting. Not a big deal, it was replaced with a BMW OEM windshield no questions asked.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM
///M Sport

Got BMW to intervene and dealer confirmed it's corrosion. I expect BMW wil resolve to my satisfaction. That doesn't negate BMW's culpability and lack of responsibility. One can only imagine how many BMW employees turned a blind eye to this. If not for my own due diligence I'd be up the creek without a paddle. BMW's quality control reeks IMO! Love my car but my confidence in BMW has been shaken. The company will have to re-earn my trust. Thanks for all your supportive words. As for the Fanboys who tried to kick me when I was down, I pay them zero mind. Bullies are ubiquitous on the web.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats

Last edited by Pappy Pipes; 03-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Got BMW to intervene and dealer confirmed it's corrosion. I expect BMW wil resolve to my satisfaction. That doesn't negate BMW's culpability and lack of responsibility. One can only imagine how many BMW employees turned a blind eye to this. If not for my own due diligence I'd be up the creek without a paddle. BMW's quality control reeks IMO! Love my car but my confidence in BMW has been shaken. The company will have to re-earn my trust. Thanks for all your supportive words. As for the Fanboys who tried to kick me when I was down, I pay them zero mind. Bullies are ubiquitous on the web.
As are hysterics.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
OP, a few people have suggested pretty reasonable scenarios where the rust wouldn't have appeared until the car was already in shipping. In that case, do you really think BMW employees on mass are turning a blind eye to this issue? What motivation would they have?

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I'm going to try to be nice here. You do realize what the core of the problem is. A specific coating was accidentally left off. Corrosion would not have been present during the fabrication of the car. Most likely it developed during the shipping process and during the wait at the dealer. And it got worse after you purchased it and drove it for a while. When during this process should BMW have discovered this fault (which is not obvious during a normal inspection)? BMW has owned the problem and is fixing it without any problem. So what exactly is the problem? All car manufacturers use third party suppliers and these issues occasionally pop up. The brand new m5 had a major problem with a oil pump ( I think) which destroyed the engine. All these people who had just spent 6 figures to buy this car now could not drive it for a few weeks. These things happen. Take them in stride. You'll live longer
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM
///M Sport

I accept the fabrication scenario and that the issue is a one off problem. What I don't agree with is BMW not inspecting all suspect vehicles once it became a known issue. Where is BMW's quality control? No vehicle inspections upon port entry, no inspection upon arrival at the dealership? No internal memos, or external heads up? Also find it hard to believe there were no visible sign of corrosion when the com boxes and wiring were installed beneath the seats. The parts are pristine but the metal is rusted throughout? All of that happened in 4 months? I don't think so.

All of which begs the question, what other critical defects lurk beyond observation to the human eye in my car? What other balls did BMW drop? Call me hysterical if you like but this is a logical question to ask when you find extensive corrosion in a 2 day old car. Under the circumstances I think I've been pretty cool about the whole affair.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
I accept the fabrication scenario and that the issue is a one off problem. What I don't agree with is BMW not inspecting all suspect vehicles once it became a known issue. Where is BMW's quality control? No vehicle inspections upon port entry, no inspection upon arrival at the dealership? No internal memos, or external heads up? Also find it hard to believe there were no visible sign of corrosion when the com boxes and wiring were installed beneath the seats. The parts are pristine but the metal is rusted throughout? All of that happened in 4 months? I don't think so.

All of which begs the question, what other critical defects lurk beyond observation to the human eye in my car? What other balls did BMW drop? Call me hysterical if you like but this is a logical question to ask when you find extensive corrosion in a 2 day old car. Under the circumstances I think I've been pretty cool about the whole affair.
i would trade for a different brand then. you have no idea what might be lurking in the engine, transmission, inside the tires, the airbags. how far the lack of due diligence may have gone
that suspicion may drive you mad.

4 months is more than enough time for untreated steel to surface rust. the transit time from africa or germany is very likely where the rust formed. add to that the time it was sitting outside if it was a lot car.

sh!t happens. get it fixed and move on.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
When during this process should BMW have discovered this fault
When you act rude to other people you only make yourself look like an ass. To address your question below, when you bring back a leased car they inspect every inch of it and charge you for every little scratch they can find. Don't you think same inspection process should be in place before they take your 40K and give you the key to your brand new car?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
When you act rude to other people you only make yourself look like an ass. To address your question below, when you bring back a leased car they inspect every inch of it and charge you for every little scratch they can find. Don't you think same inspection process should be in place before they take your 40K and give you the key to your brand new car?
No. They're assuming its a brand new car. They give it a quick inspection. Looking underneath the seats and between the seat cushions is not a place they're going to inspect on every new car they sell. And your lease return analogy doesn't make sense. Do you inspect a brand new car the same way you inspect a car with 30K + miles?? Absolutely not; so neither do they. And I've turned in leases before with normal everyday scratches before and never been charged a cent. I guess it pays to not be an ass to your dealer?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
///M Sport

Quote:
I guess it pays to not be an ass to your dealer?
Your should start a "Kiss my dealer's ass thread"... The dealers adore you, according to you, and you love to use the word "ass".

Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Your should start a "Kiss my dealer's ass thread"... The dealers adore you, according to you, and you love to use the word "ass".
Not at all. I do not kiss my dealers ass. Unlike your ilk I don't treat them like scum. I treat them like how I want to be treated. I have a problem? I go to them and kindly ask for a fix. I haven't had a single problem go unresolved so far. And they have treated me very well and gone above and beyond to keep me happy; because I treat them with respect. Maybe because I have two brothers who are SA's and hear stories from them about how people treat them and how they'll do the bare minimum with those types of people. Treat people with respect and they will give you respect. Act like a 3 yr old throwing a temper tantrum and expect to be treated the same
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
No. They're assuming its a brand new car. They give it a quick inspection. Looking underneath the seats and between the seat cushions is not a place they're going to inspect on every new car they sell. And your lease return analogy doesn't make sense. Do you inspect a brand new car the same way you inspect a car with 30K + miles?? Absolutely not; so neither do they. And I've turned in leases before with normal everyday scratches before and never been charged a cent. I guess it pays to not be an ass to your dealer?
Believe me, if they did not charge you for the damage it only means they made up the money on you on the sale side. Car dealers are biggest crooks ever, bmw or not.
WTF does it mean they are "assuming". I am sorry, but some things just should not be assumed. And, when you doing quality control check, phrase like i assumed it was ok, should not be part of your dictionary. In this particular case, this has been a known problem for months. There is no excuse for a dealer not to check this. If they want you to return the car in perfect shape then it should be perfect when they give it you. I dont pay for scratches, i let BMW tell me which ones need to be fixed, and let the local body shop fix for 1/3rd of what BMW wants.
Good luck and dont forget to wipe that brown stuff of your nose after you kiss your dealer you know where.