Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i /C240/M35
Need help with steering shakes

E39 528 1998 with 120K miles on drived by my wife and she complained about steering shakes between 70-80 and when slightly push brakes.
just try it myself and CONFIRM IT! and need little bit help!
What was done for last 6 months
all 4 wheel bearins[ ***]
front -both lower control and thrust arms
same with rear
all 4 rotors with new brake shoes
new DWS tires[ already put 7K miles on ] still in great shape
checked all 4 rims [ 17 size]
good alignment
good balance
checked by hands tie rods for steering-No play
What else can it be? and how check if calipers is stuck? already touch it with hands and feels like same temperature
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Are you sure it was properly aligned? - Weighted
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
It's a looooong story. The short of it is that the way your wife brakes is what is likely causing the rotors to have uneven pad deposition, if it's what I think it is.

Of course, there are a zillion reasons for vibration - so I'm just talking about the most common (which fits your description.

The short term solution is free. So is the long term solution.

Details here:
- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & while highway braking (1) (2) (3) & why it's not rotor "warp" (1) & severe ABS shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & how fluid-filled thrust arm bushings crack and tear causing the BMW to vibrate at speed (0) (1) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a comprehensive TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with wheel match mounting hints (1) & how a worn drive shaft, flex disc, center bearing, or "giunti Boschi", aka giubo (it's not spelled guibo although it sounds like it is to some) can cause the vehicle to vibrate (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to repair the rear driveshaft seal by the differential (1) & how to repair the inner constant velocity (CV) half-drive shaft (1).
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 528i /C240/M35
Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
Are you sure it was properly aligned? - Weighted
yes it was .. still have copy from dealer