Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528iX
Service at different dealership

Just bought a new 528i at a dealership about 15 miles from my home. Much better price than the dealership that's only 2 miles from home. I would much rather service the car closer to home, but I'm concerned that I might not get the same service level than the dealership that sold me the car. Anybody have experience or thoughts on this subject - buying from one dealership and servicing from another?
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 02:57 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssolomon1 View Post
Just bought a new 528i at a dealership about 15 miles from my home. Much better price than the dealership that's only 2 miles from home. I would much rather service the car closer to home, but I'm concerned that I might not get the same service level than the dealership that sold me the car. Anybody have experience or thoughts on this subject - buying from one dealership and servicing from another?
Usually a dealership is composed of three businesses that generally operate independent of each other: sales, parts, service. The BMW dealerships in my area are no different.

If the person running the service "department" (remember, it is likely an independent business, or at least treated as such) isn't inclined to give you the highest level of service regardless of where you purchased your vehicle, then his department will suffer.

Now, the service department at the BMW dealership nearest to me has made special concessions for those purchasing from the dealership's sales department, but they are minor. For example, they will prioritize loaner vehicles to those who purchased from their sales department over those who did not. But again, these sorts of things are minor.

I, and others I know, have always received excellent service from my nearest dealership (BMW of Pleasant Grove) regardless of where we purchased our vehicles.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Usually a dealership is composed of three businesses that generally operate independent of each other: sales, parts, service. The BMW dealerships in my area are no different.

If the person running the service "department" (remember, it is likely an independent business, or at least treated as such) isn't inclined to give you the highest level of service regardless of where you purchased your vehicle, then his department will suffer.

Now, the service department at the BMW dealership nearest to me has made special concessions for those purchasing from the dealership's sales department, but they are minor. For example, they will prioritize loaner vehicles to those who purchased from their sales department over those who did not. But again, these sorts of things are minor.

I, and others I know, have always received excellent service from my nearest dealership (BMW of Pleasant Grove) regardless of where we purchased our vehicles.
Bingo.

Back end of the house usually carries the front. There are examples of pickup for service if you buy there, etc. But no dealer in their right mind would turn away service.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
"Now, the service department at the BMW dealership nearest to me has made special concessions for those purchasing from the dealership's sales department, but they are minor. For example, they will prioritize loaner vehicles to those who purchased from their sales department over those who did not. But again, these sorts of things are minor."

Not so minor if you must have a loaner quickly.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikez38 View Post
"Now, the service department at the BMW dealership nearest to me has made special concessions for those purchasing from the dealership's sales department, but they are minor. For example, they will prioritize loaner vehicles to those who purchased from their sales department over those who did not. But again, these sorts of things are minor."

Not so minor if you must have a loaner quickly.
True.

But it can be costly if your local sales department was thousands more than the best offer you received from a not-so-local sales department as mine was.

I've never had to do this because my local service department has always had loaners available, but I'll bet they could be enticed by $100-$200 to bump me to the top of the priority list if I really needed it. Still much cheaper.

Really, the local sales department just needs to man up and get my business by being competitive with their best offers. I would be willing to pay $500 more to stay local, but not thousands more.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
By servicing at the dealership where I purchased, I am guaranteed a BMW loaner, plus valet service. If I go to a different dealer, I get an Enterprise rental car, and obviously no valet. Luckily, the service at my dealership is excellent, so there is really no contest.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi
There are many BMW dealers in my area. I use a dealer closer to home for service, and they seemed to really want the business. They asked if they could "officially" change my default dealer to them. BMW loaners have never been a problem (not Enterprise). The competition around here helps, I'm sure.

2011 535xi - Black Sapphire, Venetian Beige

2008 535xi - Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Leather
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
My servicing dealer treats me very well, but they've never asked where I buy my cars from which by the way isn't them.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
Quote:
True.

But it can be costly if your local sales department was thousands more than the best offer you received from a not-so-local sales department as mine was.

I've never had to do this because my local service department has always had loaners available, but I'll bet they could be enticed by $100-$200 to bump me to the top of the priority list if I really needed it. Still much cheaper.

Really, the local sales department just needs to man up and get my business by being competitive with their best offers. I would be willing to pay $500 more to stay local, but not thousands more.
I completely agree with you. My local dealer just sucks for sales. I went to Chicago and got 3.2 grand more for trade in and got the new car for invoice plus 400 which included weather mats. If it was $500 difference, I would have stayed with my local dealer too !

If anybody cares to know my local dealership name, its Enterprise BMW, Appleton, WI.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:

^^^ this is reasonable, clear minded thinking.

Does your local BMW dealership really refuse to sell you cars for MORE than another dealer???

Perhaps they don't believe you're buying really somewhere else?

I'm a businessman and I can understand drawing lines with customers but if I had a serious customer who was willing to actually pay more money to do business with me versus one one of my true competitors (another BMW retailer),,, well, I think they seriously need to re-think their business purpose...

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-25-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
I think there's like 20 BMW dealerships within 1 hour of my place in brooklyn. There's another 20 if i include my apt. in manhattan.

I can almost throw a baseball to the dealership closest to me in bklyn but I would never buy a car from them because they suck and their service is lazy. Instead I go all the way to the ass end of New Jersey because they're really cool with me. Helps that I know the owners but I love the way they do business. The retail car business generally sucks and I hear people talk **** about my dealership too...

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-25-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
When I lived in Northern Illinois (IL/WI state line near the lake), there were about 5 Lexus dealerships either within 15 miles of my house, or just a mile or two off my commute (50 mile commute 1-way). Instead of going to them for service, I drove 50 miles in the opposite direction to go back to the dealer I purchased from. IMHO, if you went to one dealer because they did well by you in the sales dept, you should reward them by sticking with them for service. Most dealerships make their money off of service, not new sales.

Considering it's only 15 miles and unless there were problems with the level of service, I would most definately go back to your selling dealership. If on the other hand, their service dept treats your poorly, then I would go elsewhere.
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
By servicing at the dealership where I purchased, I am guaranteed a BMW loaner, plus valet service. If I go to a different dealer, I get an Enterprise rental car, and obviously no valet. Luckily, the service at my dealership is excellent, so there is really no contest.
This is true among most dealerships here in LA. The only perk in buying a car from the same local dealership as the one for your service needs is the priority to access their loner fleet. But my local dealer is so busy, nothing guarantees a loner these days.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport