Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Rough Idle - Injector?

Yesterday my 12,500 mile 2012 535I began having rough idle. It drives fine, but at idle you can feel it in the steering wheel. I stopped by the dealer and they told me to continue to drive it until I get either a check engine light or service engine soon light. If there wasn't a fault code they couldn't replace the injector.

I did a search and read that there is a problem discussed where the idle is rough at cold starts. Mine is cold or hot. There is also no fluctuation in RPMs, just damn rough.
Thoughts? TIA

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, 5% Tint Rear - 35% Tint Front - 50% Tint Windshield - BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)

Last edited by Chuck W.; 02-28-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Yesterday my 12,500 mile 2012 535I began having rough idle. It drives fine, but at idle you can feel it in the steering wheel. I stopped by the dealer and they told me to continue to drive it until I get either a check engine light or service engine soon light. If there wasn't a fault code they couldn't replace the injector.

I did a search and read that there is a problem discussed where the idle is rough at cold starts. Mine is cold or hot. There is also no fluctuation in RPMs, just damn rough.
Thoughts? TIA
Although different engine, I had this same problem a month ago on my E60 535 and it turned out to be two bad fuel injectors. They were actually injecting tons of fuel into the cylinder whenever they wanted so the spark plugs had to be replaced, too.

If your dealer service department is unwilling to do this and you have the time, you could remove the spark plugs and check them. You may find one of them in terrible condition and this would be a clue as to which injector has gone bad (if your problem is the same).

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Our 550 also has rough idle at 3000 miles but it's a minor feeling. It's random not just from cold starts. It could be the middle of the day with the car driven in the morning and I feel the rough idle at a red light. I've read many accounts regarding bad injectors and all but I'm going to monitor to see if it gets worse. True, dealers are reluctant to work on a car without any fault codes since it's hard for them to justify to corporate why they should get reimbursed for the work per the 4 years warranty. I think it's not just the inline 6 but also on the V8s. It's just a BMW curse, a tradeoff for turbos and fuel efficiency.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport

Last edited by Decboy; 02-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
I thought I would post an update. After two days of driving the rough idle has gone away. Perhaps a clogged injector cleared itself.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, 5% Tint Rear - 35% Tint Front - 50% Tint Windshield - BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)