Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Looking for 5 series
garage door opener help needed

I read the owners manual on how to program my garage door opener but it does not seem work. I follow the instructions, wait for the slow flash and then the fast flash but it does not seem to work. Has anyone ever had this issue? What was the fix? Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
It's a two step process for most garage door openers that have rolling codes. First, you need to match it to your garage opener remote. Press and hold garage remote button while depressing the Homelink button. Release once the Homelink light starts to flash rapidly. Then press the "learn" button on the opener itself and, within thirty seconds, depress and hold the Homelink button again for a few second. Release and press it again once or twice more until the door opens or closes.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
It's a two step process for most garage door openers that have rolling codes. First, you need to match it to your garage opener remote. Press and hold garage remote button while depressing the Homelink button. Release once the Homelink light starts to flash rapidly. Then press the "learn" button on the opener itself and, within thirty seconds, depress and hold the Homelink button again for a few second. Release and press it again once or twice more until the door opens or closes.
I wanted to point out that there is a step in the manual that isn't clear. I did mine over three years ago and I know one of the buttons require you to hold rather than just press.
I think toad is right, and the holding on the second part I definitely remember that much. It took me like a week to figure it out.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
I had the same problem, It finally took using the third button. closes to passenger side,
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I just did mine today (2008 535XiT). I was seated in the passenger seat with the doors closed and the ignition on. I first cleared all the buttons by pressing the #1 and #3 buttons at the same time, until the LED was fast flashing. However, I could not get it to flash quickly, when I tried to learn the code from the transmitter. It would stay on the slow flash forever. I tried different distances to no avail.

Then I quit for a few minutes, and came back into the driver's side and this time I turned on the ignition and started the engine (although the manual says either engine running or ignition on). Then I pressed the #1 button under the rear view mirror, at the same time pressing the garage door transmitter. This time it flash faster after a few seconds.

The third step was going to the garage door opener and locating the learn button. Once you press that button (on mine there's a flashing LED on the garage door opener, when the LEARN button is pressed), then go to the car turn on ignition and press the #1 button a few times, giving each push a few seconds to register to the garage door opener. After the third or fourth press, the garage door was operated by the car button.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIHI View Post
I just did mine today (2008 535XiT). I was seated in the passenger seat with the doors closed and the ignition on. I first cleared all the buttons by pressing the #1 and #3 buttons at the same time, until the LED was fast flashing. However, I could not get it to flash quickly, when I tried to learn the code from the transmitter. It would stay on the slow flash forever. I tried different distances to no avail.

Then I quit for a few minutes, and came back into the driver's side and this time I turned on the ignition and started the engine (although the manual says either engine running or ignition on). Then I pressed the #1 button under the rear view mirror, at the same time pressing the garage door transmitter. This time it flash faster after a few seconds.

The third step was going to the garage door opener and locating the learn button. Once you press that button (on mine there's a flashing LED on the garage door opener, when the LEARN button is pressed), then go to the car turn on ignition and press the #1 button a few times, giving each push a few seconds to register to the garage door opener. After the third or fourth press, the garage door was operated by the car button.

I hope this helps.
that does help, ill give it a try tonight
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Fastman

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Upate: The above instructions do work, HOWEVER, after struggling for an hr I decided to check BMW's website for more insight. In order for the instructions to work the remote control and the Homelink buttons must be between 2-8 inches apart from each other when you depress both buttons at the same time otherwise this won't work. Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshun View Post
Upate: The above instructions do work, HOWEVER, after struggling for an hr I decided to check BMW's website for more insight. In order for the instructions to work the remote control and the Homelink buttons must be between 2-8 inches apart from each other when you depress both buttons at the same time otherwise this won't work. Hope this helps someone.
Great advice, thanks!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Live free

Send a message via AIM to Tom850i
Mein Auto: Porsche 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshun View Post
Is it possible to use the BMW opener to operate Insteon automation devices?

Current: Carbon Black 2013 X5 50, Red 1992 500SL, Black 2001 911 cabriolet
Retired: Cabernet 1992 850i, 2006 ML500
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
For as long as the car can learn the command, it will control it. It depends on the frequency of the remote you are using to control Insteon. If it is ZigBee or Z-Wave, I do not think so as they have a proprietary frequency.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom850i View Post
Is it possible to use the BMW opener to operate Insteon automation devices?
Not directly but it can be done using an Insteon/X10 receiver and an X10 remote. You link the X10 remote to the Insteon receiver and then program Homelink to the X10 remote. Google Insteon and Homelink for suggested products and instructions.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i still have this issue as well, i just gave up
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to hkninja
Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport pkg
I gave up a year ago.... I guess I'm going to give it a try tonight.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to uwhusky
Mein Auto: 2008 e60 535xi
I had the same problem a day ago after installing a new garage door opener and found out something this thread may benefit from.

Previous Garage Door Opener installed in 2003 was a Genie. (Rolling Code)
New Garage Door Opener installed in 2013 is a Liftmaster 8550 (with battery back up and rolling code)

I had the same problem as the OP, I tried step #1, which is simply to have homelink connect with the garage door opener remote and go from slow fast to fast flash. This never happened and I spent hours trying to figure things out.

Finally last night I read on a blog that the LM 8550 has a new version of Homelink that is only compatible with cars that have Homelink 4.0 or later. My 2008 BMW and my 2011 Infiniti are not compatible with this new Liftmaster 8550 POS. My only option at this point is to get a repeater, supplied free of charge by Homelink. This is all fine and good but the problem is I spent extra money for the battery back up but the repeater has to be plugged in to work, which now means if the power goes out I still can not get my garage door to open unless I have a keypad installed on the outside of the garage or I'm carrying around the original remote control in my glove box. Total BS, IMO.

However, for the OP who is not able to get the light to go from slow to fast, this may be your problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to hkninja
Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport pkg
YES! I did it! lol It is finally paired up.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Its all about the learning button on the garage door opener!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM

If your garage door opener is running V4 of homelink, it'll never work on your E60. You have to buy a repeater and then it will work.

I have a newer Liftmaster garage door opener and had to do this. Same goes for my wife's 2011 Infinit QX56...it also needed the repeater.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
Finally an answer. Where can I get a repeater? I can't seem to get my 550i to accept my garage door opener either. I'll have to try this when I get home. Sick of the remote sitting in my cup holder.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM

I called the garage door opener manufacturer. In my case that is Liftmaster. I told them what year car and what model opener I had and the lady instantly knew they weren't compatible and offered to send me the repeater free of charge. I received it about three days later and had everything up and running in about 5 minutes.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i Sport Pkg

My dad is a garage door guy and he didn't even know this trick. My door opener wouldn't work no matter what I did. I finally got it working by putting the garage remote behind the rear view mirror (towards front of car) touching the back plastic and it worked. Clear the home link, then press the button and program as noted above with the remote. Then press the button on the garage door opener and press the button on the rear view. Works like a charm now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i Sport Pkg

Btw, I have a newer genie and lift master programmed and they both work. '08 535i

Old 04-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by propwash03 View Post
My dad is a garage door guy and he didn't even know this trick. My door opener wouldn't work no matter what I did. I finally got it working by putting the garage remote behind the rear view mirror (towards front of car) touching the back plastic and it worked. Clear the home link, then press the button and program as noted above with the remote. Then press the button on the garage door opener and press the button on the rear view. Works like a charm now.

This was the magic step for me, thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3
Thanks to this thread, I got my 08 X3 to work with a 01 Craftsman door opener. Thanks alot everyone.