Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330Ci
BMW Assist FAIL

Dear BMW,
The BMW Assist feature and SOS button in our 2012 3-series is a scam and utter failure. My wife and infant were recently involved in a collision with airbags deployed. She called 911 on her cell phone, and the police arrived and managed to push the car to the side of the road. She then pushed the SOS button in the car in order to get some help from BMW Assist about getting the car towed. Nothing. The radio displayed something about the call being active, but no dispatcher came through. 30 minutes passed, still nothing and still stranded. Why do you charge us and install a useless SOS button in our car, a feature who promises help for times of direst need? Who f**ked up here?
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Dear jimhead,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Is it possible the SOS button broke during your collision? It is possible that technology gets broken during these events. It's possible that your wifes phone breaks and SOS works. Did you pay for the BMW assist feature?
On a side note, this is Bimmerfest.com, not BMW customer service. BMW will not be able to answer your concerns here. People here will most likely mock your post.

Regards
Intarweb
P.S. Please update "Mein auto". Currently you list a 2001 330Ci

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335ix Sport
Wow, that's awful. I hope there's some kind of reasonable answer, but I can't imagine what it is.
50,xxx mi
1999 540i Sport - Retired w/202,xxx
1997 540i - Retired w/162,xxx
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Dear jimhead,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Is it possible the SOS button broke during your collision? It is possible that technology gets broken during these events. It's possible that your wifes phone breaks and SOS works. Did you pay for the BMW assist feature?
On a side note, this is Bimmerfest.com, not BMW customer service. BMW will not be able to answer your concerns here. People here will most likely mock your post.

Regards
Intarweb
P.S. Please update "Mein auto". Currently you list a 2001 330Ci
Collision was not that severe. But even if it were, the SOS system would be REALLY USELESS if it were so easily damaged.

OBVIOUSLY this is a forum that has no affiliation with BMWNA. I'm just pissed and need to vent. Am I not allowed to do that?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I really hate this for you ......especially with your wife and young child involved!

Just curious if the system had ever worked? Set up on delivery at the dealer? Ever pushed the SOS button before to test?

I've had some issues with the BMW Assist not being correctly activated by the delivering dealer myself.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
You know, this is an interesting point.

I thought the SOS function was supposed to go off in a severe accident. Here's a case where it didn't trigger when the front air bags went off, nor did it trigger on mine when I was rear-ended hard enough to deploy the active headrest.

When does it go off?

EDIT: Actually, for the original poster, are you a subscriber? The button may be there, but if you didn't purchase the feature, I don't believe it will do anything.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I've had some issues with the BMW Assist not being correctly activated by the delivering dealer
When my wife and I took possession of our E93, we were told by our CA that our dealer does not activate BMW Assist and we would need to do so ourselves.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
When my wife and I took possession of our E93, we were told by our CA that our dealer does not activate BMW Assist and we would need to do so ourselves.
That's bogus and would send me to a new dealer.

The CA should sit in the car with you and call BMW Assist with you to set up. I've had this done multiple times at my dealer and at the PDC in Greer.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You know, this is an interesting point.

I thought the SOS function was supposed to go off in a severe accident. Here's a case where it didn't trigger when the front air bags went off, nor did it trigger on mine when I was rear-ended hard enough to deploy the active headrest.

When does it go off?

EDIT: Actually, for the original poster, are you a subscriber? The button may be there, but if you didn't purchase the feature, I don't believe it will do anything.
On the day we picked up the car the dealer showed us how to activate it, and my wife sat through the activation process talking through the system to somebody on the other end. There was some paperwork and stuff we had to sign. So, yes, we're subscribers.

Maybe the dealer goofed, maybe a technical issue with cell network, maybe the equipment in the car failed. In the end IT SUCKS.

Suggest future BMW buyers not to invest money or faith into dumb features like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I'm very sorry for your wife's experience and fortunately both she and your child are OK.

I have not thought about this feature until your post. I sat with the dealer when we set this and other functions up in my car. But, I don't remember if this is something we need to subscribe to after the warranty period ends?

I see your car listed is a 2001. Do you think yourservice subscription ended? (sorry, I re-read your post and see that you have a 2012). I am very interested in learning what you find out from the dealer or BMW, particularly since you are still under warranty.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 02-26-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhead View Post
Maybe the dealer goofed, maybe a technical issue with cell network, maybe the equipment in the car failed. In the end IT SUCKS.

Suggest future BMW buyers not to invest money or faith into dumb features like this.
I suppose if I get in an accident, having a car with the potential ability to call automatically for help is better than one that will always just sit there and do nothing. I'm sorry it didn't work in your situation but I fail to see how that makes it a "scam."
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Interestng... I have never tested my SOS. Dealer said it was activated etc prior to me taking delivery. I have my PIN and email address sent to BMW assist.
Can we test it anytime? I have had the car 1 year already. It is a 2010 CPO ...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Yes, just push the SOS button ....... They are glad to talk to you ....... Peace of mind that it is working

Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I have a question. I let my service expire, since I found that a AAA membership was cheaper and gave better coverage if I needed my vehicle towed.

But if I'm in an accident, will they still be alerted that the airbags have deployed, and be able to send emergency crews to my location?

An even better question is, will they do this even if I haven't got coverage? I have this nightmare vision of slowly bleeding to death while trying to give the representative my credit card number.

Frederic

P.S. If nobody knows, I may just push the button and ask them.