Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
air flow

On 12/16/12, I purchased a 2013 535i. The weather in San Diego has varied from warm to rather unseasonably cool/cold. I noticed the air flow in my BMW is always warm. On days where it is not warm enough for the AC, I adjusted the air flow to the lowest degree (60). The air was warm. In the early morning, when the outside temperature is cool, the air flow is still warm. I took my car in to the dealership today. I was told because of the position of the air intake flow and the engine, the air flow is warm and that is normal. I find it hard to believe BMW would design the vehicle to produce such a constant flow of warm air. What happens in hot weather? All of us do not like AC when it is not extremely warm/hot. But with this feature, the only relief from the warm air in your face is AC. Has anyone else noticed the warm air flow? I truly believe its my car and not a design flaw. Let me know. please.
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPD4935 View Post
On 12/16/12, I purchased a 2013 535i. The weather in San Diego has varied from warm to rather unseasonably cool/cold. I noticed the air flow in my BMW is always warm. On days where it is not warm enough for the AC, I adjusted the air flow to the lowest degree (60). The air was warm. In the early morning, when the outside temperature is cool, the air flow is still warm. I took my car in to the dealership today. I was told because of the position of the air intake flow and the engine, the air flow is warm and that is normal. I find it hard to believe BMW would design the vehicle to produce such a constant flow of warm air. What happens in hot weather? All of us do not like AC when it is not extremely warm/hot. But with this feature, the only relief from the warm air in your face is AC. Has anyone else noticed the warm air flow? I truly believe its my car and not a design flaw. Let me know. please.
Did you make sure the vertical dial next to the hazard lights and door lock buttons is set to the middle position? It is sort of an override and determines the type of air coming out of the center vents.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 318i
Crack the sunroof if it is not already open. That seems to pull more ambient air into the car than with it is closed. I found this out one cold night when I forgot the rear part of the sunroof was open and caused cold air to flow from the inside door handles over my arms. I was concerned about a leak and used tape to cover all the holes on the front doors that sit outside the rubber seals and then took it for a drive and noticed the cold air still coming through. Then I closed the sunroof and realized the intention of increased flow rates.

Just a thought but I agree that normally the air from the vents is warmer than my other cars. In that case I just hit the airconditioner and adjust the temps accordingly.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Yes, I can adjust the AC to a lower temp but I feel I should not have to. That feature is truly disappointing. Big time.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Did you make sure the vertical dial next to the hazard lights and door lock buttons is set to the middle position? It is sort of an override and determines the type of air coming out of the center vents.
+1. Please check and adjust this dial. Unlike a lot of other makes, BMW actually makes this feature functional.
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8

Last edited by Stonehauler; 02-28-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: Acura TSX
I also noticed the same hot air flow problem in my 2011 528i. I took the car to the dealer and they kept it twice, first time two days and second time three days. They also tried two other brand new cars from the lot, same hot air problem. The dealer concluded that there it nothing they could do and it is the way the car is designed. I wrote to BMW Canada and told them I am embarrassed as a BMW 5 series owner. They told me the dealer will keep the file open and will contact me if they come across any solution. And of course never hear from them again.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I have noticed it being an issue in my area
2013 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-sport 2013
I noticed it as well but not a big of a deal ! my 2 cents is open the moon roof a little (slide it) and adjust the airflow to the window, feet and direct flow so u wont feel the warm air blowing in your face
GL
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks. I will do the same
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 PM

Its rather uncomfortable to have constant warm air blowing in your face when it is cool outside and the AC is not needed. I did adjust the dail near the hazard button. As much as the car costs I think there is a serious flaw. I am really unhappy about that. And yes I could turn on the AC but I should not have to.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
BMW allows for quite a bit of customization in their HVAC system--maybe a bit too much.

The key to the dial above the central locking is to put it in the "blue" during how weather. in between hot and cold place the dial in the middle, and in cold weather put it in "red."

The ACC will keep the compressor running to a certain low temp to remove excess moisture. I just leave mine on auto year-round. Also, I have mine set on auto-recirculate. BMW has adjustments for each side of how hard you want air to come out of the registers, and where.

Again, i leave mine on auto. usually 70-72 works fine in winter and i run it a bit cooler in the summer. knowing how to adjust the dial is quirkly but solves a lot of questions. The F10's system is one of the best out there for filtering out crap. I sync both sides of the cabin together, and have the fan speed selected at the #2 notch. i've run through 16" snow storms and 100 degree temperatures without having much. i might alter fan speed and change temps. I don't see any mega design failures. It might not be the same as everyone else but it gives you a lot of options.

Adjust the wheel, set to auto, and select a temp that you like. also, make sure all of your vents are open.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
At first I was trying to make adjustments using only the round temp gauge, as I've always done in my previous cars. Now I just leave that on 70 degrees and use the vertical red blue adjuster. I like that a lot now, very easy to adjust on the fly

Yet another thing I didn't like at first, then realized the German engineers have it right.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 5
I believe it's caused by the location and the insulation of the air ducts. I guess it's the heat from the engine that is warming up the air ducts and that causes the air to be warmed up as it passes through.

I say this because I notice that during a "warm start" (after the engine is warmed up), the air that blows out is warm (noticeably warmer than the cabin temperature), even when the AC is on at start. It takes about 8-10 seconds before you can feel the air is cooled down.