Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Bimmer questions?

Hello
I am a proud owner of a 2001 BMW 530i for the past year. I got a 186,000 miles on the car now. Recently i have gotten a System to lean bank 2 when my check engine light pops on. I have taken it to the shop and i am now replacing my valve cover since it has a hair line crack in it. Could this be the problem?
Also have notices a burning oil smell in the cabin and occasionally a bit of white smoke coming through when stopped and blower is on. All the fluids are fine besides the oil which has gone down 2 quarts in 1200 miles. Anyone know what might be the problem? Also notices today after over filling my washer fluid about 1 cup of washer fluid was on the ground coming form the passengers front area. Thinking it is a crack in the tube or gasket. Anyone got any ideas on that one.

Thanks for any suggestions if you think you know what the issue(s) might be but need more info let me know.

-Mike
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
Valve covers are not suppose to have cracks in them, thats probably where you are loosing the oil from. As for your car running lean, that would be your CCV. That cup of washer fluid that you overfilled your washer fluid reservoir with, that ended up on the ground under the passenger area probably came from you overfilling it. Its just runoff from your your underbody cover.
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
A lean-condition misfire is a common SES malady of the E39.

I'd start at this thread, and ask that you snap a picture of what you find so that you push us forward with your repair:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 AM

Okay. I will be doing these repairs soon and I'll include some photos as I go for
1. Valve cover replacement
2. And looking into the SAS issue for the lean
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNash View Post
Okay. I will be doing these repairs soon and I'll include some photos as I go for
1. Valve cover replacement
2. And looking into the SAS issue for the lean
For the valve cover, typing /vcg F3 in the best links nets this which may help:
- How to replace the E39 V8 valve cover gasket (1) (pdf) (2) (3) & VCG DIYs for the E39 I6 (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & which VCG brand to buy (1) (2) & what VCG lubricants to use (1)

For the SAS, typing /sas F3 in the best links nets this:
- How the secondary air system (SAS) and secondary air pump (SAP) and air valve, check valve, & electrical valve operate (1) & how to maintain (1) (2) (3) & replace (1) & troubleshoot the BMW E39 SAS SAP valve secondary air pump system (1) (2) (3) (4) & an SAP valve group buy (1) & a BMW TIS on how to diagnose the SAS (1)

Again, your payback is a picture clarifying anything you found confusing after reading those threads ...
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM

I got another code today for a system to lean bank 1 and at the same time a system to lean bank 2. Do you guys and gals think its worth replacing the o2 sensors?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 525i
i think you have p0171 p0174 for me the CCV and hoses did the trick. other people have gone through ccv, vcg, plugs, boots, o2 sensors, fuel filter, and maf and have still had the code.

start cheapest to priciest on fixing things. first by searching hoses and rubbers for cracks breaks holes and crumbling. do the ccv test to see if yours is failing.

go from there
Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM

What's the CCV test?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5989795
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM

do you have a list of things you have done to the car since purchase?

a list of what the previous owner did to the car before you purchased it?

im betting on vacuum leak in the intake boots and connecting hoses, ccv failure, or MAF.

the great thing about this forum is there is a DIY with step by step PICTURES for most jobs. easy on the wallet and you learn about the car. and shout out to bluebee for keeping it all sooooo organized. makes finding crap so easy on here.

Last edited by daytradeoil; 03-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.