Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscswa View Post
Hey Mike,

Oscar here, good to see you are continuing to add modifications to your ride making it more you. Your car is looking real good and don't pay any attention to the negative comments and don't even reply to them. In the end, it's your car and what makes you smile when you drive it, is all that matters.

Guys, lets really get back to his original post. Mike is a good kid and we are all BMW family, we should all be happy for Mike and encourage not flame. Help find a better product (if there is one) or another idea that would give him what he is looking for less $$$.

Just a side note...Porsche 911 has a similar setup on a 6 cyl and I don't think I have ever heard anyone flame it.

Keep the mods going Mike and good luck.
Thanks allot man, ur my favorite member on this forum. Ya just wired everything and the exhaust shop is now telling me that it won't fit... I love how I get everyrhig done and get estimates and when it comes down to it the exhasut shop played me.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
I have a 540. And i have a Porsche 930. I am members at both forums.
I must say. Some of the BMW owners live up to the rep of BMW owners. I never hear such talk on the Porsche site.
Relax people, and drive.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
I wonder if when the I6 was being timed you used the actual 60 MPH marker or the actual 60 MPH reading which is closer to 63-64 MPH.
It would make almost a second difference.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere

Last edited by JimLev; 03-09-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Smiling from gear to gear

Mein Auto: '03 540i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
I wonder if when the I6 was being timed you used the actual 60 MPH marker or the actual 60 MPH reading which is closer to 63-64 MPH.
It would make almost a second difference.
I think you are backwards.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Oscar

Mein Auto: 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post
Thanks allot man, ur my favorite member on this forum. Ya just wired everything and the exhaust shop is now telling me that it won't fit... I love how I get everyrhig done and get estimates and when it comes down to it the exhasut shop played me.

Well that sucks, sorry to hear that but not all hope is lost. What was the reason the shop said they can't fit it? I would also give another exhaust show a try and see if they can fit it.

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 PM

the little pit where the entire exhaust on our cars goes isnt deep enough. So the mottor will be sitting about an 1 inch lower than the bottom of the car instead of being inside the pit completely.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCrosse540i6 View Post
I think you are backwards.
The 60 MPH mark on the speedo is about 57 MPH, which is why I asked if he used the actual 60 MPH speed when it was timed.

Mike, did you get the cutout installed yet?

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere

Last edited by JimLev; 03-10-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Be american, get a bimmer

Mein Auto: 00' 540i, 87' benz 300DT
I did exhaust cut out on my 540i. Best thing, cause if i dont wanna be annoyed by anything i turn it shut and its quiet, but when i feel like having some "fun" i turn it open

Although, my managed to froze up (valve assembly) after i bought it like 4 months ago... probably because of the salt during winter. I would actually recommend that you take it off during winter months and put a blocking plate (usually cost around 6 bux w/ gasket).

I dont know how it would sound on I6, i would check out youtube videos of cat back exhaust on I6 engines, because thats how it would sound like.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
QTP cutout is fun, I have one on my 540i. Again, it will do nearly nothing for performance, but the sound will be 10 times louder when fully open.

Unless you have fabrication skills you will have to take this to a shop to be welded in. Are you wiring this yourself also?
Mike, send a PM to nsogiba and see if he can post some pictures of his setup, from his post it sounds like he has the exact same setup so he was able to get it installed.

Also is there any way to move it back towards the rear where there is more room?

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Last edited by Oscswa; 03-12-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
I'm really not sure if the I-6 exhaust is similar to the V8, but my thought process went something like this:

-want to have it before the y-resonator for best sound (loud) when cutout is open
-with cutout closed, exhaust is stock sounding
-only place where it's a single pipe before the y-res is between the fuel tanks
-there's no room for a cutout between fuel tanks
-therefore we must move that single pipe towards the front of the car where there's lots of room

So I cut out a section of pipe out of each "bank" before they join into one pipe (after cats but before y-res), and rewelded them. Now I had about 5" or so of "blank space" ahead of the gas tanks where I could weld in a single cutout.

You really have to get underneath the car and look at it yourself. We can go back and forth on here all day long but you won't know how to do it until you get it in the air.

Are you fabricating this yourself? What tools, knowledge, experience, etc do you have? It's not a difficult job, but you do need basic metal working tools to get it together. I used a cutoff wheel and basic MIG welder. It would be nice to have had a chop saw for cleaner cuts back then, but I used what I had. I also did this on jackstands, but it would be infinitely easier with a lift.

2001 BMW 540i/6 Sport, under the knife
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Oscar

Quote:
I'm really not sure if the I-6 exhaust is similar to the V8, but my thought process went something like this:

-want to have it before the y-resonator for best sound (loud) when cutout is open
-therefore we must move that single pipe towards the front of the car where there's lots of room

So I cut out a section of pipe out of each "bank" before they join into one pipe (after cats but before y-res), and rewelded them. Now I had about 5" or so of "blank space" ahead of the gas tanks where I could weld in a single cutout.

You really have to get underneath the car and look at it yourself. We can go back and forth on here all day long but you won't know how to do it until you get it in the air.

Are you fabricating this yourself? What tools, knowledge, experience, etc do you have? It's not a difficult job, but you do need basic metal working tools to get it together. I used a cutoff wheel and basic MIG welder. It would be nice to have had a chop saw for cleaner cuts back then, but I used what I had. I also did this on jackstands, but it would be infinitely easier with a lift.
I think Mike took it into a muffler shop to have it done and they told him there is no room. I would think both I6 and V8 have the same amount of clearance but if you have a pic I am sure Mike would be greatful.

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM

I don't have a picture. It's all installed underneath the car. Yes, there is no room to directly cut out one 6" long piece of pipe and directly weld in a 6" long y-pipe with cutout. You must shorten the 2 smaller bank pipes upstream, to move the y-portion where they join into one pipe, to make room for the cutout.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Ya I already took it in. I'm doing exactly like you. I'm gonna cut off a little of both of the pipes and move that second rectangular shaped resinator back. Then I'm gonna see if that gives me enough room to put it there. Wel see sat. It's already wired just welding left. Il take pics

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM

i didn't have any rectangular resonators on mine. only the header cats, the secondary cats, the y resonator, and the rear twin scuba tank mufflers. the rest is pipe.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
i didn't have any rectangular resonators on mine. only the header cats, the secondary cats, the y resonator, and the rear twin scuba tank mufflers. the rest is pipe.
Oh I guess your exhaust is different than mine.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Ok here is what happen. I finally installed the QTP. it wouldnt fit where i wanted so they had to remove the second resinator. Not the Y looking one but the one before it. they put it in place of that. when its closed it sounds almost identical to before which was just a magnaflow muffler with the rest stock. i honestly was mad that i had to remove a resinator because i thought that it was going to be loud even when its closed. but that resinator did pretty much nothing. anyways, when its open all the way the only thing between it and the engine is that cats. Man is this thing loud or what!! i love the sound. and im sure if you guys heard it in person you would agree. its a deep rumble. and the idle sound is amazing. i went out today to take a video and my car started studdering and cutting off and then it turned off... dead fuel pump.... what perfect timing. as if i didnt spend enough money on this system now i gotta drop another 400 for a fuel pump... every one of my buddies who has heard the car thinks it sounds amazing. including one who drives an e92 M3 dinan exhaust. so im glad i didnt listen to the people who were telling me not to get it. Il take a video of it once i get my new fuel pump this week.

Thanks to everyone!!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post
Ok here is what happen. I finally installed the QTP. it wouldnt fit where i wanted so they had to remove the second resinator. Not the Y looking one but the one before it. they put it in place of that. when its closed it sounds almost identical to before which was just a magnaflow muffler with the rest stock. i honestly was mad that i had to remove a resinator because i thought that it was going to be loud even when its closed. but that resinator did pretty much nothing. anyways, when its open all the way the only thing between it and the engine is that cats. Man is this thing loud or what!! i love the sound. and im sure if you guys heard it in person you would agree. its a deep rumble. and the idle sound is amazing. i went out today to take a video and my car started studdering and cutting off and then it turned off... dead fuel pump.... what perfect timing. as if i didnt spend enough money on this system now i gotta drop another 400 for a fuel pump... every one of my buddies who has heard the car thinks it sounds amazing. including one who drives an e92 M3 dinan exhaust. so im glad i didnt listen to the people who were telling me not to get it. Il take a video of it once i get my new fuel pump this week.

Thanks to everyone!!
Looking forward to hear it, go get that fuel pump haha
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights