Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
X drive or not?

We are considering a rather basic X1. Will be a car within 3 years or so I will turn over to my teenage daughter...

We are deciding on x drive or not... While we live in Florida, she may go away to school somewhere else...

How well does x drive perform in rainy or wet conditions? I had a 5 series wagon with AWD and it seemed to be fine, but do not know if the technology and drive systems are the same in the X1

We are considering x drive for the "performance control" feature...on paper it seems to help control vehicle a bit better...

Looking to provide every safety advantage I can to a teen daughter...Is it worth it for just that aspect?
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: RX-8
Yes it probably is especially since you don't know where she is going to go to school.

I've heard of people getting RWD or fwd and regretting not having AWD but I've never heard if AWD owners regretting not getting RWD or fwd.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Tough to predict the future, but if you want to cover your bases AWD is a good way. xDrive is not the best of awd systems, especially for snow, but it's fairly good. In wet conditions most any awd system including xDrive can be helpful during hydroplaning and avoiding spinning out the rear wheels plus having oversteering if too much throttle is applied during rain while accelerating while cornerning.

$1700 more for xDrive plus lower mpg so if those two facts don't sound bad then I'd recommend xDrive to cover your bases.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Also with the AWD you get hydraulic steering instead if electrically assisted so that's something to think about.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Had the chance to drive our new X1 xdrive in ~6 inches of wet snow today for the first time - drove like a dream, no problems at all. Other car is a VW GTI, and it would have got bogged down within 2 feet.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
TxDrive is not the best of awd systems, especially for snow, but it's fairly good.
Interesting observation. I politely disagree. The X1's snow capability has really impressed me. Yes, I have winter tires, but they're performance-oriented tires rather than aggressive ice and snow treads. I'm coming from a Subaru, and I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm nearly as confident in the X1 in anything but the deepest snow. What really surprises me, however, is that the Subaru was more fun in the white stuff. Controllable slides and handbrake turns were a piece of cake in the Subaru. The X1 will have no such shenanigans.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM

The X1 performs very well in the snow. I too had performance snow tires installed and it was a blast driving. The acceleration and stopping distance was great. I did not slip or slide once and all the snow/ice covered roads in the mountains.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
I am going to pretty much disagree with everyone. If you live in Florida and drive the car in Florida there is no reason whatsoever to have 4WD. It decreases fuel efficiency, acceleration and adds to maintenance costs. I know, there is only 1 mpg difference and maintenance on an extra differential is minimal but in the real world the MPG difference is closer to 4-5 mpg and what are you really getting with AWD in a tropical state? Nothing...

If you think you will be driving in snow or under icy conditions you would be much better off putting a set of snow tires on a 2WD car where the safety factor of stopping power will be greatly enhanced rather than having all season tires on an AWD car. If you are in deep snow it is the clearance under the car that will keep you mobile much more than AWD.

You will have to trust me on this, I live in a cold, snowy northern state and own two SUVs, an X1 and a Toyota RAV. Neither has 4WD. I would not give up my Blizzaks for AWD under any circumstances.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM

I live in a southern state and wanted AWD. Better performance in the rain.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
I am going to pretty much disagree with everyone. If you live in Florida and drive the car in Florida there is no reason whatsoever to have 4WD. It decreases fuel efficiency, acceleration and adds to maintenance costs. I know, there is only 1 mpg difference and maintenance on an extra differential is minimal but in the real world the MPG difference is closer to 4-5 mpg and what are you really getting with AWD in a tropical state? Nothing...

If you think you will be driving in snow or under icy conditions you would be much better off putting a set of snow tires on a 2WD car where the safety factor of stopping power will be greatly enhanced rather than having all season tires on an AWD car. If you are in deep snow it is the clearance under the car that will keep you mobile much more than AWD.

You will have to trust me on this, I live in a cold, snowy northern state and own two SUVs, an X1 and a Toyota RAV. Neither has 4WD. I would not give up my Blizzaks for AWD under any circumstances.
+1, I fully agree, I drive a 2005 545i with snow tires and it goes like a beast in the snow. I don't think you are getting that much more handling in rain with awd, Next year I plan on getting the X1 or 320i wagon and it will be rwd. I prefer not to have the added weight or maintenance.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The only reason I am considering an X1 is that it is available in RWD -- I have no need or desire for 4WD in my area. Just more things to break and drag down the gas mileage. If I were in the snow it would be a different story, but I am not, so the RWD is just fine for me. Full disclosure all three cars I have now have 4WD & AWD.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM

Snow tires are for sure the best option for snow but AWD with snow tires...easy driving.

I wouldn't go AWD either if they didnt have that 80:20 basis...so I did. That's a rare ratio and I can't wait till mine arrives.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Snow tires are for sure the best option for snow but AWD with snow tires...easy driving.

I wouldn't go AWD either if they didnt have that 80:20 basis...so I did. That's a rare ratio and I can't wait till mine arrives.
Is that 80 fr 20 rr or 80 rr and 20 fr?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
80 rear on M Sports. 60/40 rear bias on other xDrives.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: '10 VW Golf TDI
I own a 325xi (actually it's FS but that's another thread) and I will not be buying another X drive. First, I don't live close enough to snow to warrant owning a AWD car. Second, even with AWD and skiing 6-8 weekends in a good season, I have gotten stuck in this car in snow, and not too deep to boot (on all-weather tires though). It's really all about ground clearance and traction, AWD is secondary in importance IMO. And third, I am tired of getting torn/leaky CV boots fixed every year or two - it's just not worth the hassle.

I'm actually considering waiting a year or so and buying an off-lease '13 X1 s28i (RWD), as a compromise with my GF who wants something that sits higher off the ground. Anyone have any experience with these?

Last edited by troll-free; 03-21-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
AWD is one of the biggest most contentious debates in these parts. Personally I am fairly agnostic about AWD. I see it as mostly a matter of personal preference and that people should exercise their preferences with their wallet.

Having said that I personally think a RWD car with proper snow tires performs better and is safer (because it's behavior is more predictable) than an AWD car with all-seasons in snow/ice conditions especially with modern DTC systems like in the bimmer. Now an AWD with snows is best, but at the end of the day few people with AWD actually use snow tires since they think AWD is sufficient.

If I were in your shoes, given the tremendous uncertainty I would have a hard time justifying X-drive in Florida.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll-free View Post
I have gotten stuck in this car in snow, and not too deep to boot (on all-weather tires though).
AWD is useless unless your tires can get a grip. All weather tires might be good for light snow bit if you throw in some ice it's not that good. Snow tires will grip in ice and snow and will even help 2 wheel drives.

I was driving my X1 in the mountains with snow tires on ice and snow and the handling was amazing. While other cars were sliding around corners and at stops, the X1 held its ground.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
As somebody from Florida at one poitn in his life I can tell you the ups and downs of AWD in Florida.

First, it helps when the huricanes come and you get the torrents of rain, especially if she is going to Gainsville or central Florida. They tend not to have the best sewage systems and mud cakes the road.
If you are living in WPB, Fort Lauderdale or Dade County then it is pretty much pointless unless your looking to head out to the Glades and take backroads.

Second the AWD helps if you are goign to sand areas or taking the vehicle onto the beach.

If you live in the bay area or on the west side of Florida you tend to have back roads that it will help on but pretty much it will be a useless feature.

As with most vehicles it comes down to the experience of the driver and the basics of the vehicle itself. If she stays in Florida you are better keeping the RWD and buying her defensive driving lessons and teaching her how to drive at high speeds.