Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 528xi
Just letting you know the Capacitor mod does work for HID's

For anyone looking to upgrade non HID lights to HID, the Capacitor mod works flawlessly.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338009

My 2008 528xi did not come with the adaptive lighting package so I ordered a kit from DDM tuning with the Bulb out warning cancelers, but they were back ordered on the BOW. I installed the lights without them and they worked fine for a few minutes, until I drove with them on. They would be fine driving on the highway, but when coming to red lights or stop signs they would flicker like crazy and you could hear a awful sound coming through the speakers of the car. I couldn't wait for DDM to Ship the BOW cancelers so I went to radio shack and made my own with the DIY. Worked perfectly. No more flickering or buzzing. Some say their capacitors blew, but most likely they reversed polarity when installing them. I soldered mine in and used shrink tubing on everything and it works without a hitch.

Pretty much what mine look like

Just FYI, I got the 55W 5K. My phones camera make the light appear bluer than it actually is in person. Cutoff line is still sharp with the projectors and produce a nice rainbow.

Just thought I would post this for anyone looking to upgrade their lights since I couldn't find too much specific info on the topic pertaining to E60's. Works on HID fogs as well.
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Speaking on the fogs. How do you get to those bulbs. I look underneath the car and I couldnt figure it out
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
Speaking on the fogs. How do you get to those bulbs. I look underneath the car and I couldnt figure it out
There are a couple of different ways you can get to them. When I was swapping low beam bulbs for HID's, I removed the headlight and I could see the fogs lights clearly from above once the headlight was removed. Another method is going through the wheel well.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/5912...light-install/

I personally find the headlight removal method easier just because I've taken them out so many times it takes me less than 2 minutes per side and you have all the room you need to change bulbs, add HID or whatever. I feel the wheel well method only gives you limited access.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Cool. Thanks for the directions...Im going to go try it now...One more question when you bought you HID kit from that site did u also replace the halo bulbs too with HID and what color temp did you buy. I want a white look so I was kind of looking at a 6000-8000. My car does have the adaptive with Xenon lighting. I just want a different color for my halos and fogs
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM

I didn't change out the halo led bulbs. I'm fine with the way they are for now. If you're asking what color HID bulbs I put in, they're 5k. Any higher and I think they're going to be blueish.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535I
Yes 5K is good in my experience with changing HID for my other cars. My car comes (535I) with adaptive HD low/high. I am trying to change my fog light to HID. Currently I have ordered with DDM tuning for 55W HID (5k color). I am planning to change my Angle Eye with HD also.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW 645Ci
Will this work for a 2004 BMW 645? I just installed DDM tuning HID fogs, but they keep flickering or they turn on for a sec and trun off.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i 2005
I didn't know you could replace the fog lights by taking our the head lights. Thats genius. I'm going to try that now. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Worked great on my 08 550i Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
When I did my fog lights, I chose a CANBUS Ballast which does away with the BOW canceller. I used a 3000 degree bulb for the yellow tinge for use in actual fog. For the driver's side, I had a difficult time getting the bulb into the fog light housing due to the windshield washer reservoir, so I had to also turn the wheel to the right and install the HID bulb through the wheel arch liner.