Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RX-8
M Sport Performance RFT's

I'm curious if anyone has the M Sport model with the performance tires vs. the cookie cutter all seasons.

If so, how is tread wear and stopping distance? Road noise and cornering improvements?
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam
I have my 2013 M Sport now, ordered at the end of November.

I ended up with the All-Season tires option (which supposedly wasn't a choice yet): 18" Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Run Flat (different tire than the Summer Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat).

The wheels are non-staggered, so 225/45 all around (just like on the F30 M-Sport all-seasons). This likely means I don't have the increased top speed limiter (not a big deal as I should never be driving this baby hauler that fast).

Ride is very comfortable (especially for run-flats), but grip is a lacking a bit compared to the performance summer tires I'm used to.
Quote:
I was so unsatisfied with the P7 All-Seasons that I headed back to the dealer Monday. They corrected the problem and replaced the wheels and tires with the proper staggered wheels and Summer P7s. Oh, what a difference...night and day!

The confidence in cornering I had when test driving has returned. I've also noticed an improvement in braking (as suspected). Understeer has not been a problem. I don't plan to test the handling limits any more extremely than I have so far, so understeer is no longer a concern of mine.

....In my opinion, it is better to run Summer tires and get a separate set of winter tires if your climate dictates it. The all-seasons are a compromise in every sense of the word.
Motor Trend review - Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Runflats: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2DlJSc3wB
Quote:
Though the brakes felt solid in normal use, their performance in testing wasn't as impressive. The lighter xDrive28i required 134 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph, while the xDrive35i needed 126 feet. A 3839-pound 2013 Acura RDX we recently tested needed a good deal less room to stop, at 117 feet.
Quote:
Finally, a track test using the xDrive M Sport (x28i in this case) wearing 18" staggered Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flats. Highlights:

0 to 60: 6.4 sec
1/4 mile: 14.9 sec @ 91 MPH
60 to 0: 120 ft AVG

Reports are that newer M Sports with the summer tire option are being delivered with Pirelli P Zero Neros which should outperform the summer Cinturato P7s.

Last edited by nospam; 02-27-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 AM

Excellent!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
Don't know if this will help but have the M Sport with 19s, came with Pirelli Pzeros and am very happy with them. Not a lot of miles yet but good grip and ride, not noisy
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Future X1 *****

Mein Auto: MINI Cooper S
This was one thing I'm still unsure if I made the right choice... went with the 18" All-seasons for my M-sport. Figured for now it'd keep me from having to deal with getting something for next winter. Plus I'd rather get better summer tires that aren't expensive run flats.

When I try to search for Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat, I can't find it in the 255/40 size for the Rear. They only have the 255/40 for the Summer Performance version of that tire.

Anyone know what All Season tire comes with the 2014 M-sport? They just added the All-Season option for M-sport package wheels. I forgot to ask my dealer. Sending email now.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePew View Post
This was one thing I'm still unsure if I made the right choice... went with the 18" All-seasons for my M-sport. Figured for now it'd keep me from having to deal with getting something for next winter. Plus I'd rather get better summer tires that aren't expensive run flats.

When I try to search for Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat, I can't find it in the 255/40 size for the Rear. They only have the 255/40 for the Summer Performance version of that tire.

Anyone know what All Season tire comes with the 2014 M-sport? They just added the All-Season option for M-sport package wheels. I forgot to ask my dealer. Sending email now.
Details are unclear for now as the 2014 ordering guide implies you get 255/40 on the rear with the all-season option but the 2013 M Sports with all seasons get the 225/45 square setup. I suspect you will get the 225/45 square setup.

It also appears that BMW is moving away from the Pirelli all-seasons to Continentals which are a bit better.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Just looked at the pricing guide for the 2014. It is pretty specific in the 2MY option for the M Sport Line. It gives front and rear wheel and tire sizes and they are different. It is pretty specific and cannot believe someone would miss that big of a error on a pricing sheet. Also, for the Sport Line, the option of 2A2 shows all tires the same size. I would definitely expect the staggered setup on the M Sport.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
Just looked at the pricing guide for the 2014. It is pretty specific in the 2MY option for the M Sport Line. It gives front and rear wheel and tire sizes and they are different. It is pretty specific and cannot believe someone would miss that big of a error on a pricing sheet. Also, for the Sport Line, the option of 2A2 shows all tires the same size. I would definitely expect the staggered setup on the M Sport.
We shall see in a few months. It won't be the first big error (2013 M Sport paddle shifters).
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM

I believe the lack of paddle shifters was really a dealer order mistake or just that the customer assumed the M Sport would default to paddle shifters. I copied the section from the 2013 X1 M Sport pricing guide below. The 7XA was a no cost option but had to be specified on the order. The pricing guide was correct but the option had to be ordered.

710 M steering wheel
or 7XA M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
I believe the lack of paddle shifters was really a dealer order mistake or just that the customer assumed the M Sport would default to paddle shifters. I copied the section from the 2013 X1 M Sport pricing guide below. The 7XA was a no cost option but had to be specified on the order. The pricing guide was correct but the option had to be ordered.

710 M steering wheel
Customers assumed they were included because the literature said they were included. Period. They were also specified on the order build sheets even if the dealer didn't order them. BMW screwed up and many dealers screwed up. The only people that can't take any blame are the customers, and yet we're the ones that took it up the arse. And yes, this is a very touchy subject with me.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:

710 M steering wheel
Not as simple as that. When I picked up my M-sport (first in the Bay Area) there were already other members who had discovered the error, so i was anticipating it wouldn't have them. When indeed it didn't, the dealer and I sat down to try and figure out the mistake. He was using his dealer software and tried to order an M-sport with paddle shifters and there was no "7XA option" he could find. A seasoned BMW dealer could not figure out how to configure an order to include what was supposed to be standard on the online configuration program available to the general public on BMWUSA.

I complained to BMWUSA and got a $1500 check for the error, so I don't think the matter was as simple as a dealer mistake.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Apolgies

I stand corrected. I very much like the look of the staggered setup and was glad to see in two pricing guides for the 2014 X1 M Sport that the staggered setup with available with either the performance tires or the all season tires, I went with the all season. Today I received an email from BMW stating that the guide was printed in error and they are making corrections. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. The car is at the German port awaiting a vessel but it is not what I ordered. I hate to start over but really do not see an alternative.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. I very much like the look of the staggered setup and was glad to see in two pricing guides for the 2014 X1 M Sport that the staggered setup with available with either the performance tires or the all season tires, I went with the all season. Today I received an email from BMW stating that the guide was printed in error and they are making corrections. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. The car is at the German port awaiting a vessel but it is not what I ordered. I hate to start over but really do not see an alternative.
At least you found out before the car was delivered. Imagine showing up at the dealership to find the error, then being told that getting the car you ordered in the first place - the car you paid for and thought you were getting - would cost you an additional $1,000 because a rebate would expire before you could take delivery of the correctly-optioned car. So you take delivery of a car less than what you expected on the promise it will "be made right". Fast forward a few weeks and imagine discovering that other customers in similar situations get cash refunds from BMW ranging from $500 to $1,500, and the best you could manage was three years of concierge service that you'll probably never use. That my friend is why this X1 owner is so bitter.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 03-13-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
OK, I feel better now that I've vented. To be clear, you have to choose between staggered performance tires, or square all-seasons, correct? You wanted staggered all-seasons? And your car was built with square all-seasons?

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
My vehicle was a Nov. 2012 order but a Dec. build. Somehow, it was delivered with the square all-season setup. My dealer could not find the source of the error since there was no all-season option when the order was placed. They swapped my wheels and tires with another M Sport sitting on their lot.

Get on your dealer to rectify this for you and swap to the staggered summers.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
OK, so the summers are more rounded and the all-season are more squared? are the all seasons staggered as well?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Bottom line, at least from the email from BMW, the pricing guides were misprinted. The all season option on the M Sport, I think it was called MY option, will be four tires all the same size. What surprises me a little is that the description is in at least two places in the pricing guide. I think that the person putting together the guide just didn't get the whole story or misunderstood what he or she was told. Really wanted the staggered layout even if it meant selecting the performance tires if the all season option was not available at the time of order. The thing that is really nice about the staggered layout is that the rear wheels are 9" wide. I replied to the email and expect to hear back with options whether it be starting over with a new order or if something can be done to swap out the wheels and tires once they arrive at the Performance Center in SC. It is not the dealer's fault at all. I certainly do not want them to be penalized.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Future X1 *****

Mein Auto: MINI Cooper S
hey mickkassem, I ordered the exact same for my M-sport, but I didn't get any email. How does BMW have your contact? Was it the dealer?

I started to become suspicious of the tire setup when I couldn't find the Pirelli all-seasons in a runflat for that Rear size.

Part of me actually wanted the squared setup so it isn't such a hassle and expense to find tires in the bigger size (although bigger rears are always nice... I'm being economical).

When I asked my dealer if I could get one of the other Sportline option 18" wheels, he told me that their technician said they won't fit (which I believe is bull). And they wouldn't entertain the option to swap them out from another car anyways.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
My vehicle was a Nov. 2012 order but a Dec. build. Somehow, it was delivered with the square all-season setup. My dealer could not find the source of the error since there was no all-season option when the order was placed. They swapped my wheels and tires with another M Sport sitting on their lot.

Get on your dealer to rectify this for you and swap to the staggered summers.
Problem with this is, you still don't get the top speed limiter increased, which, if they release a BMW Performance Kit in the future, you won't be able to install, since they require the top speed limiter increase. Obviously, if you don't care about something like the PPK, then it doesn't matter.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Problem with this is, you still don't get the top speed limiter increased, which, if they release a BMW Performance Kit in the future, you won't be able to install, since they require the top speed limiter increase. Obviously, if you don't care about something like the PPK, then it doesn't matter.
Is the performance kit just a tune/chip or does it involve new intakes, exhausts etc.?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Is the performance kit just a tune/chip or does it involve new intakes, exhausts etc.?
On previous vehicles they've offered a few versions, one was just a tune, and they had a more expensive version they included an auxiliary rad and a high output fan. On the diesel they included a new intercooler.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM

Do they have any available for other models with the N20?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
It is all just programming. The dealer said they reprogrammed the limiter when they swapped the tires. No big deal to me anyway as I am never going to be driving the vehicle that fast. I have the BMS tune so I would not purchase the PPK even if released.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
It is all just programming. The dealer said they reprogrammed the limiter when they swapped the tires. No big deal to me anyway as I am never going to be driving the vehicle that fast. I have the BMS tune so I would not purchase the PPK even if released.
As long as the programming added option 840 to your options code list you should be good. If you're happy with a piggy back, that's all that matters. I went for the BMW warrantied solution on both my N54 and N55 just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i M Sport
Quote:
Even if spec'ed with all-season tires (which are V-rated and safe for high speed driving), you'll still get option code 840 as part of the M Sport package. Unless they changed something for 2014, BMW won't remove 840 just because they fit all-season tires.