Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 320i 2012
Thanks again everyone for the comments.
@Slaymaster: I already have snow tires and in pretty good condition and they had good reviews. but i guess they are not suited for heavy snowy weathers as somebody was saying they are performance tires. Maybe I will try to swap them with more snow acceptable ones. I am pretty impressed with GoodYear Nordics on my Accord.

Another question for the forum is if there is a significant impact of Run Flat Tires Vs the standard ones, especially in snowy conditions. The Dunlop M3 i have are RFTs.
If yes, then would it be an issue if i replace the RFTs with the standard ones ? Would it somehow impact the BMW warranty ?

regards,

Goof
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
I've never seen someone say their RWD BMW was this bad in the snow. Most people (on forums and on driving shows) have said BMWs with snow tires do just fine.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goof View Post
Thanks again everyone for the comments.
@Slaymaster: I already have snow tires and in pretty good condition and they had good reviews. but i guess they are not suited for heavy snowy weathers as somebody was saying they are performance tires. Maybe I will try to swap them with more snow acceptable ones. I am pretty impressed with GoodYear Nordics on my Accord.

Another question for the forum is if there is a significant impact of Run Flat Tires Vs the standard ones, especially in snowy conditions. The Dunlop M3 i have are RFTs.
If yes, then would it be an issue if i replace the RFTs with the standard ones ? Would it somehow impact the BMW warranty ?

regards,

Goof
alot of ppl on here love blizzaks too
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
It is not a problem to use non-RFTs, except for the need to make arrangements for how to deal with a flat, be that acquiring a spare and sacrificing trunk space or carrying an emergency flat repair kit.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input.

So far i gathered the following feedback:

1. Get used to RWD. It will not be as good as FWD in snowy conditions but the experience doesn't need to be as bad as now. This is the most difficult one to swallow considering brand and car's value.
I gotta say I don't understand this comment. Didn't you look into the differences between RWD, AWD, and FWD before signing on that line? Or did you take a thorough test drive?

I bought a RWD 335i in a city that gets a ton of snow. I knew what I was getting into and I bought the car knowing full well that RWD will not handle as well in winter as in spring/summer/fall. I knew ahead of time that any RWD car will handle differently in snow than a FWD or AWD car.

There's no reason why, just because BMWs are expensive, their RWD cars should as well as another brand's FWD or AWD. I swallowed that reality before I decided to get RWD.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
@Mark: Pardon my understanding, but are you suggesting in the post that with all DTC and DSC etc etc ON the car would not go out of control so i just need to trust it will be fine if the car slips a little when driving OR did you mean the oppositte ?
@tturedraider: what is meant by switching DTC off one-notch. In the 320i i have, it only switches ON or OFF when i push the DSC Off button once.

Does the drive mode like Sport, Eco, Comfort mode have any impact when in such slippery situations ?

I think i am getting a feel of at least how the car drives. I still really need to feel how the car behaves when parked in a snowed parking lot with some ice underneath. How to properly reverse from the parking sport and shift into drive mode. I am struggling with this aspect as the wheels tend to spin and the car stays where its standing. I am trying a new technique, not sure if its corerct. Just change the gear to drive or reverse mode and don't push the throttle what so ever. let the car move back or forward on its own in slow mode just to get the tires rolling... let's see how this works out

Goof
Traction control is always on by default. IT WILL NOT prevent a spin out if you are moving, but will try to correct it. It's helpfull only to an extent.
When you push the button once quickly, it limits how "sensitive" traction control is, it is recomended to do that while driving on a snow. You will experience more fishtailing, but you must learn to control it. (empty parking lot).
When starting to move from a standstill, if one tire has no traction and is spinning it will not deliver any power to the other tire (i think it applies a brake to it), and therefore the car will not move. In such situation you should completly disable traction control by holding down the buton for few seconds. It will allow you to get out of the snow easier if you are stuck.

As far as manuals, i would watch some clips of people driving rwd in the snow on youtube. Should give you an idea of how the car behaves.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
To the OP.
Why not add 2 bags of salt in your trunk which should give the rear tires more grip?

My 335d with cheap Hankook Winter tires handles the last two snow storms here in Toronto/GTA nicely and I didn't experience any slipping/sliding like you did even when the roads were not plowed.

I didn't have any bags of salt in the trunk.
But back in the '90s when I had the same issues like you mentioned with a Mazda 929 RWD with all seasons tires I just added a couple of bags of salt or some weights in the trunk to help the rear tires get traction!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
@Mark: Pardon my understanding, but are you suggesting in the post that with all DTC and DSC etc etc ON the car would not go out of control so i just need to trust it will be fine if the car slips a little when driving OR did you mean the oppositte ?
That's what I'm saying - you will be perfectly fine with DSC on and DTC on (confusing, I know), you just cannot spin that car out of control from dead stop or at low speeds.

Of course, if you WANT to kill yourself, you can always accelerate to 80 km/h and then try to take 90 degrees corner in snow without braking. No DSC/DTC will save you there.

With this I meant to confirm that, if you do all the possible not to get in a bad situation and drive reasonably safe, with even performance winter tires (I have same tires, only non-RFT) it is basically impossible to spin out of control.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
To the OP.
Why not add 2 bags of salt in your trunk which should give the rear tires more grip?

My 335d with cheap Hankook Winter tires handles the last two snow storms here in Toronto/GTA nicely and I didn't experience any slipping/sliding like you did even when the roads were not plowed.

But back in the '90s when I had the same issues like you mentioned with a Mazda 929 RWD with all seasons tires I just added a couple of bags of salt or some weights in the trunk to help the rear tires get traction!

How much weight in the trunk do you need? My car is a 335I and I believe the front is about 160 pounds heavier than the back, so do I need to put 160 pounds in the trunk?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
To the OP.

i know a person who does it with a rwd 7 series in upsate NY
Old 03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
In normal driving with no passengers in the back seats, I would just add a couple of bags of salt to give enough traction.
My 335d which is RWD handles the ice and snow very well with Winter tires and there is no need for additional weights in the trunk.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Hello All,

I just bought a 320i 2012 (no X-Drive) yesterday. I have been driving a Honda Accord V6 1999 for the last many years. For sure, it was a huge shift for me in terms of driving when i switched to BMW e.g. RWD vs FWD, V6 Vs V4. However, i am extremely annoyed as well as scared with regards to how BMW handles on snow/ice roads. Incidentally yesterday there was this snowstorm here pouring around 1 - 5 cms of snow and slush. 320i slips in corners even at 5 km/hr, it doesn't reverse in the parking area as the tires start slipping, if i do get it out the parallel parking it dooesn't move forward as the rear tires keep slipping/skidding, it slips on snowy roads from behind if you push the throttle a little from a standing position. Please note i am family person who drives like a normal driver with kids in the back.
Honestly, speaking i am scared to death now driving an almost brand new BMW which is TOTALLY uncontrollable. Especially if its my wife who would be driving it with kids in the back. With all the gizmos on the car i expected the car to drive decently however honestly speaking it's so terrible that i am doubting my decision of buying the car just on the second day. Compared to my old Accord, which could get out of the parking lot even if it has snow soft and hard on all four sides. I can park it on the snow in all angles. Just over the Boxing day there was a heavy snowstorm with at least 45 cm of snow ( a record in many years) and i was easily able to drive(no racing, just slow family driving) the accord and park in areas where there was atleast 10 - 20 cm of snow with more falling. And this accord has no traction control or stuff.

The 320i comes with Dunlop Sport M3 Run Flat(new) tires while the accord had Goodyear Nordics( in their 3 year at the moment)

I write in this forum to get expert advice and guidance from all you Bimmer enthusiasts on how can i EVEN drive the 320i in snow/ice soft/hard which is the case for at least 6 months(remember i live in eastern Canada with 6 months winter at least). Should i change tires, switch on traction, switch on manual etc etc. Any advice will be highly appreciated

regards,

Goof

First off, welcome aboard.

Immediately locate a Nokian tire dealer. Get a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta dedicated snow tires, studded if it's allowed up there. Your F30 will feel like a completely different car. I've owned several BMW's in stormy New England for 10+ years and now have an F30 down here in northern New Jersey and you didn't make a bad decision on BMW or RWD. You just forgot the snow tires.

My F30 handles like a dream in snow on Nokian snow tires. Go get a set.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti G37S 6MT
I live in Detroit, and although it doesn't snow nearly as much as Montreal, most people here won't even flirt with RWD cars in the winter. Its damn near impossible to find a RWD vehicle on dealer lots, so I'm curious as why the OP is this surprised about RWD characteristics in the snow. You live in Canada. Great White North. Snow is slippery.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but being in Quebec where the law requires snow tires during winter months, I would have assumed you did your homework on buying RWD. I've been driving RWD cars with dedicated winter tires for about 9 years now, and even though they offer better grip, I still realize I'm not driving a 4x4 SUV. You still need to take it easy, and understand your limits. I would never consider driving a RWD car "life threatening" with winter tires, however with summer tires that may be the case. I got stuck in freak blizzard a week after I switched my set one year and almost had an accident (on the road and in the pants).

The moral of the story is that you can't blame the vehicle, only yourself. Either get more aggressive winter tires, or get a vehicle with AWD.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
You had asked earlier about the different modes sport, comfort, eco. I have found this winter that the Eco mode works pretty well in the snow. It diminishes the throttle response making it a softer touch in the slippery conditions. I have the Pirelli Winter Sports from the dealership because I picked up my car in late November and didn't want to get caught without them.

There is a learning curve to the RWD in bad weather and I am sure you will get there, the traction control works very well I haven't gotten stuck at all this winter. It has been a bit squirelly at times (mostly of my own doing - playing in the snow) but having driven a RWD sport sedan the past 9 years I love the feel of a RWD (especially when the snow melts). The trick of turning OFF the traction control works best when you are stuck and you need wheel spin to get moving, ala trying to rock the car, or get out of a parking spot after the plow has gone by etc, I wouldn't necessarily drive around with it off in the winter.

Best of luck. At least this winter is almost over!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM
conf t

Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
Two things - I think the tires fitted to your car might not be the best choice for your usage. Who needs "performance winter" tires if you're going to drive the car conservatively, like you stated in your original post?

Also, being a Quebec resident myself, I do have to question your choice with regards to a non-xDrive 3er. Have you test driven an xDrive at the dealership? Has this been discussed at all with your CA? Whilst I am a proponent of the almighty 6MT-RWD combo for sporty driving (the 6MT F30 328i Sport Line experience was possibly the most fun I've ever had test driving a new car), I do appreciate the huge advantages of having xDrive around here... And frankly, I don't regret my choice one bit as the tradeoff isn't significant enough.

Granted, most RWD drivers with good snow/ice tires will do just fine, but xDrive just makes it so much easier. If you've never had the chance of operating a RWD car, then practice should make perfect - don't forget to include your wife in your parking lot adventures!

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM
conf t

Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
Errrr... I just re-read my last sentence. Disregard any puns as they were not intended. I think.

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 ML350 & 2013 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

First off, welcome aboard.

Immediately locate a Nokian tire dealer. Get a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta dedicated snow tires, studded if it's allowed up there. Your F30 will feel like a completely different car. I've owned several BMW's in stormy New England for 10+ years and now have an F30 down here in northern New Jersey and you didn't make a bad decision on BMW or RWD. You just forgot the snow tires.

My F30 handles like a dream in snow on Nokian snow tires. Go get a set.

BJ
Just to add on, go Nokian or go home. We put the WRG2 SUV's (all season tire, but made for running in colder climates with snow - I live in New England) on the wife's ML350 and they are incredible. Second set we have had (first was on an MDX) and when my car comes in, I will be adding the Nokian's to the 3281 Xdrive - can't stand Pirelli's or Continental's. The other "winter tires" are good, but Nokian's, generally speaking, are by far the best tire on the road period - all season/snow IMHO.