Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: B8 S4, E70 X5d
Questions about tuning E70 X5 35d

hey guys, new member here and introduced myself in the X5 forum. looking for some input on tuning as i couldn't really find much over there. i search this forum as well but it seems that the majority of tuning is with the 335d not the X5 and it also seems that many of the threads are from 2010-2011. i haven't bene able to find any good information on recent tuning updates, owner satisfaction, warranty issues, longevity, etc. I found a 1 year old thread about Dinan but as of last month, no updates. I prefer not to ship the ecu out (RENNtech, Evolve, etc.) as it's my wife's daily driver. I also would prefer not to spend $1k. I read about DTUK but haven't seen much on it and seems "many" of the 28 or so maps send the car into limp mode. I'm intrigued on the JBD tune because of its price and simplicity, the additional cable removes the codes before service and it has a ~40hp gain. seems ridiculously easy so..... other than being a piggyback and not a true flash, what am i missing???

again, its for the wife so i'm not trying to squeeze an extra 100hp out of the thing and risk having it go into limp mode or somehting, just a nice 30-40hp bump would be great. when she had her gti, i had the apr flash and she loved it. looking for a similar effect to an otherwise already great SAV thanks for any input.

jeff
2012 S4 Prestige 6MT | Ibis White w/Silver Spectra & Black Nappa | Sport Diff | Rear Shades | Clear Bra | 30% Metalized Tint | Interior LED's | OEM License LED's | APR Stage II+ | 19" Forgestars | H&R OE Springs | AWE Exhaust | Roc-Euro Intake
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Burger Motorsports JBD

Well, since I am retired and have time on my hands I will give you a preliminary response to your question.
1. I have a 2011 335d.
2. I do not have the JBD, but it is on my list: either Evolve (1 hr drive from me) or JBD.
3. A lot of the guys have the JBD and I see very few negative reports from them.
4. Occasionally the JBD will send them into limp mode, but that seems to happen when it is cold or set real high (90-100%).
5. These occasional gremlins don't seem to be consistent from car to car. The guy I know best has his at 100% but he doesn't seem to have problems as long as the car is warmed up when he gooses it.
6. He showed me how it fits under the hood, where the control unit is placed, and how to adjust the tune. It seemed to be rather straightforward. The only tricky part is getting the engine cover rearmost bolt back on (the one nearest the driver). Some just leave the bolt off with no problem.
7. I know another similar piggyback that may be better for your wife's SAV, but it is a bit more expensive and not adjustable. But it also apparently gives you no limp mode, but not quite as much available power. It is made by VAC Motorsports in Philly. I know of them because I am having a ton of suspension work done there two weeks from now, and I am pondering just having their piggyback put on at the same time. The JBD has more ultimate increase, but is a bit more finicky. The problem with this assessment is I don't know of anyone who actually has the VAC item. You can find it on their website.
8. I will probably go with a piggyback now and maybe later go with an Evolve tune.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Last edited by 335dFan; 02-28-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabes View Post
hey guys, new member here and introduced myself in the X5 forum. looking for some input on tuning as i couldn't really find much over there. i search this forum as well but it seems that the majority of tuning is with the 335d not the X5 and it also seems that many of the threads are from 2010-2011. ...
You might also look at the stuff on e90post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377 Although a lot of the recent traffic is regarding removing DPF and SCR... Some of the same people there as here, but many others.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, E28 M5, Clubman S
I considered Evolve and JBD and went with Evolve, based in part on their claim that fuel mileage improves 10%. That claim may be somewhat overstated and my driving pattern has changed a bit (a lot more traffic) since I did the Evolve tune, so I can't really say how much improvement there is. It certainly has not hurt fuel economy. Dan, at Mach V (Sterling, VA) overcame an ECU with the port on the heatsink side of the motherboard which took him a bit more time. If you take the ECU out and send it to him, he can get it back to you within 3 days. FedEx on Saturday, get it back on Tuesday (Unless your ECU is like mine). To install the JBD you have to do the same disassembly work on the car as for Evolve except for physically removing the ECU.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Is "H-Town" for Hamilton? If so, your answer lies in Oakville.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Is "H-Town" for Hamilton? If so, your answer lies in Oakville.
LOL, no...Houston. but funny as it is, i have some vendors in hamilton

thanks for the input guys. i'll checkout e90post, do some searches over there.
2012 S4 Prestige 6MT | Ibis White w/Silver Spectra & Black Nappa | Sport Diff | Rear Shades | Clear Bra | 30% Metalized Tint | Interior LED's | OEM License LED's | APR Stage II+ | 19" Forgestars | H&R OE Springs | AWE Exhaust | Roc-Euro Intake
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy335dOwner View Post
Well, since I am retired and have time on my hands I will give you a preliminary response to your question.
1. I have a 2011 335d.
2. I do not have the JBD, but it is on my list: either Evolve (1 hr drive from me) or JBD.
3. A lot of the guys have the JBD and I see very few negative reports from them.
4. Occasionally the JBD will send them into limp mode, but that seems to happen when it is cold or set real high (90-100%).
5. These occasional gremlins don't seem to be consistent from car to car. The guy I know best has his at 100% but he doesn't seem to have problems as long as the car is warmed up when he gooses it.
6. He showed me how it fits under the hood, where the control unit is placed, and how to adjust the tune. It seemed to be rather straightforward. The only tricky part is getting the engine cover rearmost bolt back on (the one nearest the driver). Some just leave the bolt off with no problem.
7. I know another similar piggyback that may be better for your wife's SAV, but it is a bit more expensive and not adjustable. But it also apparently gives you no limp mode, but not quite as much available power. It is made by VAC Motorsports in Philly. I know of them because I am having a ton of suspension work done there two weeks from now, and I am pondering just having their piggyback put on at the same time. The JBD has more ultimate increase, but is a bit more finicky. The problem with this assessment is I don't know of anyone who actually has the VAC item. You can find it on their website.
8. I will probably go with a piggyback now and maybe later go with an Evolve tune.
thanks for that, lots of info in there! appreciate your time.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Damn Texans.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Damn Texans.
Hook 'm Horns. Go Sooners.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Mein Auto: 11 335d, 12 X5d, 13 EVO
Jbd on an x5. Takes 3minto install and no tools required. I have jbd on both my 335d and x5. I felt that the x5d was more sensitive to tripping limpmode so go like 50% on the dial and enjoy the added peppiness!

And a little Burger Tuning for my diesels.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
All I can say is RENNtech
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

A couple of days ago I saw a nice old MB SL500 with a metal Renntech sticker in the same location as our 335d badge.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
All I can say is RENNtech
+1000!

Renntech is a flash done the right way. It does not affect the DDEs monitoring functions which means the tune is working within safe parameters.

Last edited by Jim E.; 03-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
thanks Jim E. not many people know this