Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
More sunroof misery. Fml.

So, have it all figured out how to assemble the effing thing, but at the end of the driver side cable this is happening:

See the shiny silver smooshed looking tab? Yeah, well, that's in the way keeping the slide from being able to go on on that side. Is this normal? This is the passenger side end:

Cut it? Or no? Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Hi Amber

Sunroof delete. Buy one of them carbon fibré inserts for like 30 whp!

PS: I like dem' nailz, gurl!

Instagram | @randytheus
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
It's the anchor for that cable. Not sure where it belongs (it's been a long time since I had an E36 with a sunroof) but I wouldn't cut it.

How do you keep your nails so clean working on that greasy sunroof?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
It some sort of sorcery. I've seen her hands-on help change tierod ends and not get dirty, when all I was doing was handing parts and wrenches and I got dirty up to my elbows.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
Want an entire sun roof assembly?, you'd have to paint it and shipping would suck, but seams like it could possibly be less of a headache than you've had.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Fireballs inc.

Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
nice nails

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
wow, amber...sorry to hear you're still having issues...

were those parts the right ones??

i won't be back at the farm for a little while, as i'm going to be rather busy with work and am back on the spring season shift now. (well, tomorrow...)

will try to go tke a look to see if i see anything like that and where it would be to try to help you out.

the only time i ever did any sort of sunroof work was for an entire assembly, and never on a bmw...so not real familiar with this sort of stuff....but it looks like a cable stop of some sort to me.

oh, and nice nails!!

df
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

It is official..I hate that sunroof.

Ended up snipping off the bright silver tab part and was able to get the slides to fit. I really don't think it was supposed to be all sticky uppy outy like it was; it kept grinding in the track and snagging up on that tab gremlin. The end of the cable is still capped and finished, just not gremlin-y.

However. Let's discuss the way the sunroof slides and junk work? Referencing the picture from the Bentley, which way does the slide thingy directly below #10 face? See below for a picture of the part in person, which I am now naming Tantalus. Big end heretofore means the hinge end that sticks up, which the lifting sliding arm attaches to and pivots on. Now, that was the piece that didn't want to go onto the cable due to the gremlin tab. I spent seven hours last night messing with that trying to figure out the correct placement of all the plastic bastards. Then had a huge discussion this morning about which way Tantalus is supposed to face. SHort version, I can now take the whole innards apart and back together in five minutes flat. And I still do not know which way that bugger is supposed to face! Found another referencing diagram that shows it facing the rear. I have no earthly clue. Ideas?
Next, what the hell is the flipping break in the top track near the middle of it for?! Is the hinge supposed to pop up and slide along the top (Tantalus' big end..heh)? Or is it supposed to stay completely on the track like the rest? If the latter, what the eff is the gap there for?!!!! It isn't big enough to do anything save make me homicidal. Hypothetically speaking of course.

So that covers the annoyances with the guts of it: on to the hell that was attempting to put the sunroof panel itself back in. Seriously, how can anyone without five extra claw and flat head extensions on their fingers get the effing pins in the front hooked and simultaneously screw in the bolt?? This is referencing the front connection, part #8 in the diagram.

I think that's it...no, my install assistant apparently angered the car gods and that little dust shield thingy that pops in place towards the rear of the sunroof panel kinda like the wind deflector does in the front. Do I really need that? I'm cool with smashing it to small pieces and then scattering the remains over a rushing river so it can never be reassembled...but just in case, do I need a new one?

I'm tired just remembering all that. On to better topics! My thanks about my nails! I have no idea how I haven't broken one yet, but I did mess up the polish today fighting the sunroof panel. Ironic, when I hurt my finger and caused the cyst changing my brake pads, I hurt the bones in my finger but didn't break a single nail.

Note on the diagrams below. The first, all in black and white, is from the Bentley. The one with blue text is the one Jorge found saying Tantalus needed to face the rear. Thanks for reading this freaking diatribe!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362102612185.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	364307   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362104030962.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	364309   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362104064034.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	364310  

Quote:
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

In all of that I forgot to reference the carbon fiber replacement and Miles generous offer of a new cassette. I'm actually considering deleting the cassette and putting hinges on the damn thing like old school style. Similar to how the rear vent windows pop open, maybe? Something cool like that. I want to still have the tilt feature, and possibly removal like with t-tops, mainly to continue the art. In case I haven't posted it, this is how the sunroof now is adorned. See below. The second one is the inner liner.
Think it'd be feasible? If I can't get this cassette to work I don't think I care enough to attempt to fix it again. So its to the scrap heap if it doesn't straighten up.

Note: because ninja cat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362104538416.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	364312   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362104573713.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	364313   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362104636343.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	364314  

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Omg, how much else can I forget to say before my phone explodes in frustration...

Yes, df they were the exact right ones! I got mad at the clips and exiled them though, but all the screws were a godsend! Thank you so so much!

Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Jesus, and people bad mouth verts! Wish I could help Amber but E36 sunroofs aren't in my repertoire. If you wanna throw some canvas and spring bows up there that would be right up my alley.

And.......drum roll............NICE NAILS!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
"Nice nails" comments seem to overrun the helpful advice

But alas, I am not one to talk. I have been blessed by the BMW gods and have not had a sunroof issue to date.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
I'm not sure how much poking around you've done on the interwebs, but I did find this pretty amazing youtube sunroof DIY, its 3 parts and 45 minutes long maybe it'll be helpful? It's one of the guys on bfc who made them and I only saw them through a link in his sig. Good luck and sorry of you have already seen them! It's pretty detailed though and I figured the reinstallation portion might be helpful.
EDIT: Not that I didn't think your nails looked good, but I agreed with James that the subject had been covered pretty well already.
And I also agree that on occasion parts that don't cooperate should be taught a lesson and given severe beat downs, and if that includes dumping the evidence in a river, then so be it! That part will never mess with you again.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Last edited by SCJon; 03-01-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
"Nice nails" comments seem to overrun the helpful advice

But alas, I am not one to talk. I have been blessed by the BMW gods and have not had a sunroof issue to date.
Nah, compliments are always helpful! And shhhh don't say that too loud or you'll be tempting fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
And I also agree that on occasion parts that don't cooperate should be taught a lesson and given severe beat downs, and if that includes dumping the evidence in a river, then so be it! That part will never mess with you again.
Yep. I firmly believe that you must discipline unruly parts. How else will the others know you mean business when you threaten them? You should also consider keeping trophies of parts you've murdered to gloat over when another is giving you issues. It helps.

Actually, part of my problem was me deciding BMW would use logic. I out-clevered myself by just doing it on my own. I see a couple places from that video that I went wrong, however I WAS right about the placement of Tantalus. And about the way the sunroof works. Unfortunately this means I have to take the cassette back out and wait on the "bump stop" to fix itself since my assistant broke it and I DO in fact need it. On a positive note, I think I may be able to fix it.

Just in case I either a) can't, or b) get angry and decide it isn't worth it, what are y'alls thoughts regarding the pop-up sunroof thingy I mentioned earlier? I'm thinking a hinge on the inside in the front and three pop open majigities on the rear. Might work. Discuss! Please?

Also, I'll now need that bump stop thing and it's corresponding sliders.... anyone have any hanging around?

I suppose I'd better go take the sunroof back out. I think this time the cassette will stay in though while I wait on the part. A little wind I can handle but that roaring angry dragon noise that occurs without any wind deflector is extremely scary. And THEN I'm redoing my nails.

Quote:

Last edited by bimmerbarbie; 03-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post

Just in case I either a) can't, or b) get angry and decide it isn't worth it, what are y'alls thoughts regarding the pop-up sunroof thingy I mentioned earlier? I'm thinking a hinge on the inside in the front and three pop open majigities on the rear. Might work. Discuss! Please?
In a just and merciful world, there would be one of these (or something similar) that's the correct size to drop into the existing hole that would allow you replace the plexi-glass with your metal roof to salvage the tatooing.
Then you'd have the frame, the seals, the hinges, the latches, etc.....
As an alternate LOW36 is putting a Cali top in his car........not really my cup of tea but you could take the hated sunroof cassette to the salvage yard and exact revenge by having it melted down for scrap.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
I thought the T-top style idea was cool. I never open my sunroof up except to pop it up for the ventilation. Too much sunlight comes in during the summer and makes it damn hot in the car. So I say go for it if that's what you want, do you really open the sunroof all the way often?
On the other hand, waiting for the new part would be the wise choice, since you seem like the type that you may regret not conquering this task later on. You obviously don't give up easily! Which is very admirable. I give up pretty quickly depending on my mood.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Yeah, I like the manual pop up sunroof venting Amber. Give her a go!

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
I was really hoping she'd become a sunroof expert.....and then she could fix mine in Elvira.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
blank

Mein Auto: 07 e92 335i
I spent entirely too much time/effort into mine before just setting in place and forgetting about it. And then I sold it lol sorry for your woes! You're not alone!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Official Queen of E36 OT

I'm going to attempt it once more with the part thing, if that doesn't work i'm throwing in the towel and figuring out the pop up thing.

Ken, i'm relatively certain we can fix yours if you feel really brave...

Hi Steven! How have you been?

Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
I have a sunroof out of the parts car if you are interested in it? I can make sure everything works before hand.
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (95 m3 swap).Vaders..Bavauto short shifter..dinan cat back..sways..3.23lsd..tms chip..staggered dsII's...BCracing coilovers..F&R strut tower bar...M3 brakes..x-brace..AFE CAI
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
E30 87 325e DD
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM
blank

Good! Just doing a bit of trolling, been a while since I've been around
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36youngster View Post
I spent entirely too much time/effort into mine before just setting in place and forgetting about it. And then I sold it lol sorry for your woes! You're not alone!
Dude! When did you show up? Amber really does bring all the lurkers out of the woodwork....

How's life man?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
blank

Quote:
Dude! When did you show up? Amber really does bring all the lurkers out of the woodwork....

How's life man?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp
Something hit me and I felt the need to venture back and see what's become of this place. Sorry for the OT, I know the e36 forum specializes in keeping on topic during posts

How you been chad?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36youngster View Post
Something hit me and I felt the need to venture back and see what's become of this place. Sorry for the OT, I know the e36 forum specializes in keeping on topic during posts

How you been chad?
Yup, it's our speci-ality!

Busy but good. Just finished a crazy time at work but it's finally slower and smoother now. Have 3.25 project cars now and I'm in the middle of buying a house. You know, the norm.

Any errors in this post are purely Swype's fault, not mine.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana