Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
F10

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Hit n Run Bumper repair advice

So earlier today someone must have backed up into my car which is not even a month old! The left side front bumper is scuffed up pretty good but there aren't any dents. I'm guessing it will need some buffing/minor paintwork. The problem is, I don't know how to handle it but I want to get it fixed. Would BMW know if I took it to an unauthorized BMW body shop? I did not contact my insurance and plan on paying out of pocket. I need to get it fixed ASAP so my dad doesn't find out! I am really unsure about what kind of work that needs to be done and where I should take it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Best advice is to get recommendations for paint & body shops in your area from car enthusiasts like those in this forum and friends/family. Good shops can do amazing jobs on minor work like what you are describing. Providing pictures here would also help to determine the level of work need. But only go to recommended shops where someone can vouch for their work. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 02-28-2013, 06:11 PM
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
Best advice is to get recommendations for paint & body shops in your area from car enthusiasts like those in this forum and friends/family. Good shops can do amazing jobs on minor work like what you are describing. Providing pictures here would also help to determine the level of work need. But only go to recommended shops where someone can vouch for their work. Good luck!

Okay great, thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
Tell your father about it!!!!!!

Hiding things from your parents doesn't work. Things like this ALWAYS come out at some point in time. Hiding it from them will make it look like you were the party that damaged the car, and not someone else. It's ALWAYS better to come forward sooner than later. The longer you wait, the worse the reaction will be.

NOTHING good will come out of hiding it, and the potential for a lot of BAD things to come out of it is VERY high.

Next, seek out your parents advice. One thing about being a parent is they (probably) have experience with these things. Experience when it comes to bodywork is good, and it's important in telling what body shops are good, and what are bad.

My advice...go to local bodyshop, but one that has experience in dealing with BMW (does not have to be a BMW owned bodyshop, but can be independent with a good reputation for dealing with imports) If something needs to be replaced...replace it. If it can be fixed to as good as factory without replacement, that's fine too. Do NOT use non-BMW body parts. Do NOT use parts off a junked car. Get a lifetime guarantee and ensure that the company will stand behind their work. What this does for you is this: If you are ever in another accident, you won't have your insurance company...or another insurance company...coming at you and saying "because this was repaired with inferrior parts, or was incorrectly repaired the first time, it is impossible to tell what damage was and was not caused by this accident...and therefore, we will not be fully covering this claim."

Good luck...tell us how your father reacts.

Oh, and next time...call the police immediately when you discover something like this (even if it's on private property). What this does for you is it documents what happened and if ever you do need an insurance claim, you have documented what happened. Trying to get insurance to pay without something like a police report is MUCH harder than it is with one. It also prevents the other party from coming back and saying you damaged their car in a hit and run....because you stayed and they did not leave a note, that will be entered into the report, giving you a much higher chance of beating a false accusation then if you didn't call the police...young, expensive car...possibly because your dad bought it for you...I'll let you imagine out how that might play out in count....
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8

Last edited by Stonehauler; 02-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Tell your father about it!!!!!!

Hiding things from your parents doesn't work. Things like this ALWAYS come out at some point in time. Hiding it from them will make it look like were the party that damaged the car, and not someone else. It's ALWAYS better to come forward sooner than later. The longer you wait, the worse the reaction will be.

NOTHING good will come out of hiding it, and the potential for a lot of BAD things to come out of it is VERY high.

Next, seek out your parents advice. One thing about being a parent is they (probably) have experience with these things. Experience when it comes to bodywork is good, and it's important in telling what body shops are good, and what are bad.

My advice...go to local bodyshop, but one that has experience in dealing with BMW (does not have to be a BMW owned bodyshop, but can be independent with a good reputation for dealing with imports) If something needs to be replaced...replace it. If it can be fixed to as good as factory without replacement, that's fine too. Do NOT use non-BMW body parts. Do NOT use parts off a junked car. Get a lifetime guarantee and ensure that the company will stand behind their work. What this does for you is this: If you are ever in another accident, you won't have your insurance company...or another insurance company...coming at you and saying "because this was repaired with inferrior parts, or was incorrectly repaired the first time, it is impossible to tell what damage was and was not cause by this accident...and therefore, we will not be fully covering this claim."

Good luck...tell us how your father reacts.

Oh, and next time...call the police immediately when you discover something like this (even if it's on private property). What this does for you is it documents what happened and if ever you do need an insurance claim, you have documented what happened. Trying to get insurance to pay without something like a police report is MUCH harder than it is with one. It also prevents the other party from coming back and saying you damaged their car in a hit and run....because you stayed and they did not leave a note, that will be entered into the report, giving you a much higher chance of beating a false accusation then if you didn't call the police...young, expensive car...possibly because your dad bought it for you...I'll let you imagine out how that might play out in count....
I know, I understand hiding it from my dad is a bad idea, but I'm only keeping it from him because he doesn't take bad news like this very well and I don't want him to take it away from me. Dealing with him after explaining that I got minor curb rash on my mercedes was a bad experience. I told my mom about the BMW and she understood and she's going to help me get through this. My moms previous mercedes was keyed in a parking lot and repaired by an authorized mercedes body shop for a ridiculous price so we are somewhat familiar with the process, but this obviously more severe. The bumper just needs to buffed/touched up but I'm not sure how much $$ I'm looking at. Would you happen to give me an idea? And also, is BMW going to find out about the repair? Anyway, I really appreciate your help, thanks for the response.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Had a similar event happen a the grocery store two months ago. Was in the store for only a few minutes and came out to find my rear bumper had been hit. I called my insurance, got an estimate and found out the my insurance considered this an uninsured motorist claim. These claims don't affect your rates and my deductible was lower.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 PM
cor door sedan

Maybe you should respectfully decline a car like this when your father offers it to you and go with something that won't cause so much anxiety. I bought a Mazda3 for my 16 year old daughter to drive. If it gets scraped, I won't have as big of a problem with it as I would had I bought her a 1 series (wife wouldn't let me ;-)

If it's just buffing, then you will be into it a few hundred bucks. If it needs repainting, then a lot more.

Anyway, good luck and be a good kid!

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 02-28-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi
Scott

Your selling dealer has a very good detailer in the back building on the rear of the property. He is excellent with a buffing wheel and will likely make light scratches and scuffs disappear for a $20 bill. His job is to recondition pre owned and prep new car deliveries and his work (as you should know from your delivery) is very good.

PM if you want more details.

Mark
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 AM
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Maybe you should respectfully decline a car like this when your father offers it to you and go with something that won't cause so much anxiety. I bought a Mazda3 for my 16 year old daughter to drive. If it gets scraped, I won't have as big of a problem with it as I would had I bought her a 1 series (wife wouldn't let me ;-)

If it's just buffing, then you will be into it a few hundred bucks. If it needs repainting, then a lot more.

Anyway, good luck and be a good kid!
I see what you're saying but I can't drive a Mazda or something of that nature, I'm a young car enthusiast and I take care of my cars very well; my car was actually hit when I purposely parked it very far away from everyone else.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
My last lease turn in had some bumper damage from where two people hit my car while it was parked. One of them did it right in front of me while we were walking away from the car. 3 estimates from body shops that mostly deal with insurance wanted $650 to remove bumper, fix and replace. Found a great place nearby that works on custom mods, classic cars, new cars, etc. Offered the guy cash, he fixed it for $200 and it was done overnight. Looked absolutely perfect.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 AM
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
My last lease turn in had some bumper damage from where two people hit my car while it was parked. One of them did it right in front of me while we were walking away from the car. 3 estimates from body shops that mostly deal with insurance wanted $650 to remove bumper, fix and replace. Found a great place nearby that works on custom mods, classic cars, new cars, etc. Offered the guy cash, he fixed it for $200 and it was done overnight. Looked absolutely perfect.
Good to hear. Where was this place located?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 AM
F10

Here's some pictures of the damage I took real quick this morning on my iphone. Can anyone tell me if it just needs to be buffed out or if I need paintwork. If you have idea of how much it's gonna cost, it would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	364362  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 AM
F10

More
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	171
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	364363  
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
I see what you're saying but I can't drive a Mazda or something of that nature, I'm a young car enthusiast and I take care of my cars very well; my car was actually hit when I purposely parked it very far away from everyone else.
Lol....must be nice. I guess I should thank my dad for being right about one thing.......getting a part time summer job, saving up your money, and buying your own car really does increase one's appreciation (and oftentimes one's care and maintenance) for their vehicles.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
Lol....must be nice. I guess I should thank my dad for being right about one thing.......getting a part time summer job, saving up your money, and buying your own car really does increase one's appreciation (and oftentimes one's care and maintenance) for their vehicles.
Yes. But I won't be the first to accuse the OP of not appreciating the vehicle or caring and maintaining it. After all, he is on a forum asking for help and making a proactive effort to get it fixed out of his own pocket and on his own, even if the vehicle was given to him and summer job or not.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
Good to hear. Where was this place located?
Northern Virginia.

Try looking around on Craigslist.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Yes. But I won't be the first to accuse the OP of not appreciating the vehicle or caring and maintaining it. After all, he is on a forum asking for help and making a proactive effort to get it fixed out of his own pocket and on his own, even if the vehicle was given to him and summer job or not.
Thank you for pointing that out. So many people judge me for my cars because they are quick to assume: young kid, expensive car, ungrateful punk, but the only reason my parents buy them for me is because they understand that I love cars and I appreciate them very much and take extensive care of them. I hand wash and detail both of my cars weekly and I try not to park next to other cars when I can. I also don't go crazy with immature mods. I just tint and debadge. I understand why people assume these things but I'm not like most kids with nice cars.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 PM
F10

Okay today I learned that my bumper is going to need more than buffing. I took it the body shop and got it buffed for free, it looks a lot better, but it's still noticeable. At this point, it looks like it needs to be repainted. Now I am not familiar with the process; does anyone know if the bumper has to be removed? If so, will BMW know if the bumper was repaired when I turn it in? And how much would it cost approx. to be repaired? Also, is it possible to have someone just touch it up? Sorry if I'm sounding really clueless, I just need to get this whole thing over with correctly and quick.
Thanks.

Btw, sorry about the pictures, for some reason they upload upside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	114
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	364458  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
F10

Last pic
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	96
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	364459  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Bumper will need to be removed. Process should run $600 or so. If the repair is done properly, you won't be able to tell.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Raoul Duke

What difference does it make if BMW thinks it was repaired when you turn it in? Assuming you're leasing it will make no difference as long as it has been fixed. Anyhow, any decent repair shop will make it look like new.

Search Craigslist. $200 to $400 to fix.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM
F10

Damn, alright thanks man.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM
F10

Quote:
What difference does it make if BMW thinks it was repaired when you turn it in? Assuming you're leasing it will make no difference as long as it has been fixed. Anyhow, any decent repair shop will make it look like new.

Yeah, you're probably right. Thanks for the info, I'll check Craigslist to see if there's anyone nearby that can fix it.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:

But if it turns out to be a crappy job, wouldn't they ding you for the depreciation?

Even though it's a lease, wouldn't you want it looking good? It's still a $55k+ car. You'll be driving the car for the next couple of years and have to look at it everyday. That said. When I scrapped the bumper on my 2 month old Lexus a few years ago, it cost me $300 to respray that section. So it will probably be around $300-500 to repair your bumper. Not too bad considering the price of the car.

The place that buffed out your bumper, didn't you get a quote from them?

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I got nailed last night at a party I feel your pain. IF anyone knows a good QUICK (my only ride body shop in the DC metro area let me know )

Dude or chick bailed

Last edited by SuperTerp; 03-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.